Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

Are your cooled seats working as intended?

• Yes! Back and Bottom!

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • Nope! Just "wet pants"

Votes: 29 59.2%
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a topic of discussion on various other threads, and there seems to be a lack of consensus on the topic.

Here is the matter of fact:

THE COOLED SEATS IN THE 2017 FUSION SPORT OPERATE ON BOTH THE BOTTOM AND BACK.

What I think we can conclude from the continued discussion, much like we did for the ACM/dead battery problem, is that we may have found another design fault with the car.

I, like many others, thought at first that the seats were cooled on the bottom only. That is, until I was delighted by cool air on my back one day seemingly out of the blue, only to have it back on my butt only the next time. perplexing to say the least.

I think this might be the cause of the "wet pants" sensation, as the cool air is only able to escape through the seat bottom, the excess air is rapidly cooling the area...

If anyone has done any experimenting or can provide any insight to the matter, please share!!!

I'll go poking around this weekend to see if I can re-create the conditions that actually got the back to cool and work backwards from there...

If I can't figure it out this weekend, its going in to the dealer to be figured out. I'm a firm believer in not "just living with something" when its not working as intended. That's why I got an 8 year extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
mine seem to eventually cool the back, but it usually takes longer than the immediate feeling from the bottom. So I am not sure which way to go with this, as it makes me wonder is it only sometimes that the back is working, or something else. I thought that the air just originated at the bottom, and eventually flowed up the back cooling that as well. Its the same with the heated seats.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you are wearing linen clothing with no undergarments they will be quick to notice and effective but if you are wearing thick jeans and a shirt that doesn't "breath" it will be significantly less noticeable if not unnoticeable.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My heated seats worked flawlessly all winter. got nice and toasty, bottom and back, almost immediately and on the highest setting almost painfully.

The cooled seats however, after feeling them in correct operation the one time, definitely have some kind of problem. the one day they worked flawlessly, the air was coming from the cooled portion of the back rest just as forcefully as it normally does from the bottom, and it was almost immediately after turning it on, just like the bottom.

every other time, the bottom gets extremely cooled, very quickly, and I get little or nothing out of the back after a prolonged period.

I want them to function like they did that one time, every time, because it was really, truly glorious. It felt so good to have the cooled air jetting from the back like it does from the bottom. that is what I expect from cooled seats

edit: I always turn them on after I leave the gym to help me cool off, same sort of breathable shorts and thin t-shirt every day. The day it worked well, it was extremely noticeable compared to every other day. it was a genuine shock to have it cooling my back in the same way it cools my butt

Reactions: Kevin74

·
Registered
2 Posts
I notice similar varying operation on the cooled seats in my 2015 Fusion Titanium. Sometimes they seem to work better than others, although they always eventually get cool. I never thought much of it until reading this thread.

OBTW - Newbie here, just ordered (yesterday) a new Fusion Sport which should show up in 8 weeks. :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
This is what makes a forum like this so valuable.
I just get wet pants. Even when I'm driving sedately, lol.
I searched all over trying to find some sort of confirmation from Ford as to what should be expected to no avail. I didn't trust the dealership to give me the right answer, which is sad. Would rather put my trust in complete strangers on an Internet forum lol.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Vinny

I think you need to add in to the poll above who has an Unleashed tune and who has the Livernois, and see which tune cools better, or maybe which one makes the blood race more . . .

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mine seems to be unpredictable as well. The heated seats started off ok but then only the bottom would be toasty. I took it back. No luck there. Got another question since we are inside the car. Is anyone's door trim molding under the window dented from resting your arm up there? Got a dent after a window repair. But the insist is from my arm. I barely ever rest my elbow up there but was curious if anyone else had it to? Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Until you guys brought it up, i didn't think about it, but yes, some days I feel it on the back, others I don't.

Not sure why though and have no intel to give!

But yes, i think it happens.

But "wet pants", what the heck is that?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Once in a great while I think I get cool air from the back of the seat. Most of the time it only seems to come from the bottom, and even then, performance leaves something to be desired despite always using the high setting. There have been at least two occasions on longer trips where it stopped providing any noticeable cooling or air flow. Cycling the controls a few times got it back, but something seems off.

Seat warmers on the other hand...I might use high for a few moments on particulary cold mornings, but the low setting is plenty aside from that! Lots of heat from the bottom and back of the seat

And, yes, I've dented the soft trim under the window from resting my elbow there in my 2014 Ti. I'm trying to avoid that on this car...

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
I always feel the cold on my back, it does take a minute or two after I turn them on while the bottom is within a few seconds. I've never had mine get warm after it's been on for a while, either. I do get used to it and it feels like it's not cool, but if I put my hand under/behind me it's blowing cool air still.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I always feel the cold on my back, it does take a minute or two after I turn them on while the bottom is within a few seconds. I've never had mine get warm after it's been on for a while, either. I do get used to it and it feels like it's not cool, but if I put my hand under/behind me it's blowing cool air still.
Mine is exactly the same on the cooling. Havent checked out the heating yet on the back. I know the seat gets hot. Did a remote start on a cool morning and the auto had the seat too warm when i got in. Was not comfortable and had to switch it off straight away.

On the cooling, putting the hand on the backrest you can feel the air coming through. More like breath of air rather than forced fan air. Same on both fronts.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Time for everyone to get out their infrared thermometer and set the cooled seats on high and do some timed temperature measurements!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have not felt the cool coming through the back so I tested it. It is coming through the upper part of the back. The lower part is the power lumbar and it does not come through that.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Not sure if there has been any clear resolution on this yet. I took a several day trip this week. One day my wife and I both turned on the seat cooler, and felt nothing at all for the back, but near immediately cool on the bottom. The next day, tried it again. Both of us felt cool on bottom and back. I'm 99% sure it is an intermittent problem. The question is, what now? I've heard the way the seat coolers work is by using small fans that simply blow air, creating the sensation of cool. Could there be separate fans for the back that are not being told to turn on because of a software glitch?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't understand the back cooling at all. Every once in a while I feel it strongly but most of the time only the bottom seems to cool.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Like I've said before I've never felt any cooling on the seat back. Actually yesterday I was actually questioning whether it was possible my seatback was actively warming. My back literally felt hot while my butt felt like I was sitting on a block of ice. touching it by hand it didn't feel too bad, but certainly no cooling effect going on in my seatback, sensation of heated back may just have been due to the drastic difference between seat bottom and seat back.
I hate going to the dealership but I probably will end up there. If anybody does go to dealership for this issue please report back to us.

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
Are you guys using the cooled seats with the car's A/C turned on or off? I noticed the other day the cooled seats weren't too cool a few minutes after I turned the main cabin A/C off, so I turned it back on and a minute after that the seat got cool again.

Also if you guys put the seat fan on high, try covering the seat back with your hand while you stand outside of the car. Does it make a change in sound? Mine does, the back of my seats 100% blow air (albeit not much).

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I always have the A/C on since I don't want pollen getting into my interior. Last week was the first time it wasn't too hot and no pollen around here. I always have both face and floor vents on, too. That would be interesting if that's how it works.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have never used my A/C, but I do use the cooled seats. From my own testing, I have found that if I have the lumbar support turned all the way down, the whole back of the seat feels cool. If I adjust the lumbar to the point where I feel the support, I no longer feel the cooling effect on the lower part of the seat back.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts