Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for having me, just bought a 17 with 33k coming off lease. I Personally know the woman that has driven the car since new, It’s been babied too much. I Love it but I have a couple questions... Transmission is really clunky at times depending on foot action on throttle. Also, I hear a wierd noise when the car shifts gears...Maybe wastegate noise from the turbo? I’m coming off a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT that I owned since new. The Ford is completely stock and has been run on 87 octane since new. Trying to dial it in, appreciate any help!!! Josh

·
Registered
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
47 Posts
Thanks for having me, just bought a 17 with 33k coming off lease. I Personally know the woman that has driven the car since new, It’s been babied too much. I Love it but I have a couple questions... Transmission is really clunky at times depending on foot action on throttle. Also, I hear a wierd noise when the car shifts gears...Maybe wastegate noise from the turbo? I’m coming off a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT that I owned since new. The Ford is completely stock and has been run on 87 octane since new. Trying to dial it in, appreciate any help!!! Josh View attachment 27315
I've actually noticed both those things on my new '17 as well. From what I've heard, the transmission is just kind of dumb unless you get a tune to fix it. The gear shift noise I just noticed last night and it's kind of odd.

Regardless, welcome to forums!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've actually noticed both those things on my new '17 as well. From what I've heard, the transmission is just kind of dumb unless you get a tune to fix it. The gear shift noise I just noticed last night and it's kind of odd.

Regardless, welcome to forums!
Thank you! I’m not used to the car yet, haven’t even pulled up to the pump with it yet but I know I’m going 93 octane which is all that’s available here in Maine

·
Registered
307 Posts
Welcome fish. Not the most refined transmission out there and can be clunky at times, especially between 2nd and 3rd depending on throttle control. Can't say I've ever heard tyranny noise like you are describing. Some members have reported their transmission under filled with fluid. May be worth your while to get this checked for piece of mind.
I am sure you'll enjoy this car. You chose the best color BTW.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Welcome to the family!
Fozzy is correct about the Transmission being under filled. Here is my list of things you need to do right away. Others may have other points, but these are mine.
1. Take to the dealer or you favorite mechanic and drain and "Fill" the transmission fluid. There is no filter to change.
Dip stick for the transmission is located under the air filter box. Yes, you have to remove the box to access.
2. Have the dealership change the fluid in your Power Transfer Unit (PTU). According to Ford this supposed to be an item that you should never have to change. Don't listen to that bull and make them change it. Check some of the post for this. It would not surprise me if the dealership has never done this and doesn't know where the drain an fill points are.
3. Since you or over 30k miles, it won't hurt to change the rear diff, also. Another item Ford say you don't ever have to change.
4. Make sure you check your coolant level. When the car is hot and you check the fluid level and it is not full, you don't have enough. Fill to the top weld line of the coolant tank. Keep doing it, until it stays full when at running temp.
5; Nothing wrong with running on 87 Octane, but if you are planning on laying on the throttle, it is best to use 93 Octane if available. Always use a top tier gas. Not the cheap, Johnny Jones Gas Station. Google Top Tier Gas.
6. Recommend using a full synthetic oil. This more to protect from deposits on the intake valves than anything else.

After doing and checking these items. Then you can start having fun. There is a lot of knowledge in this forum. There is no dumb question and there are always people willing to help. Enjoy your ride. I know I love mine.

Reactions: Blue Fuze

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the family!
Fozzy is correct about the Transmission being under filled. Here is my list of things you need to do right away. Others may have other points, but these are mine.
1. Take to the dealer or you favorite mechanic and drain and "Fill" the transmission fluid. There is no filter to change.
Dip stick for the transmission is located under the air filter box. Yes, you have to remove the box to access.
2. Have the dealership change the fluid in your Power Transfer Unit (PTU). According to Ford this supposed to be an item that you should never have to change. Don't listen to that bull and make them change it. Check some of the post for this. It would not surprise me if the dealership has never done this and doesn't know where the drain an fill points are.
3. Since you or over 30k miles, it won't hurt to change the rear diff, also. Another item Ford say you don't ever have to change.
4. Make sure you check your coolant level. When the car is hot and you check the fluid level and it is not full, you don't have enough. Fill to the top weld line of the coolant tank. Keep doing it, until it stays full when at running temp.
5; Nothing wrong with running on 87 Octane, but if you are planning on laying on the throttle, it is best to use 93 Octane if available. Always use a top tier gas. Not the cheap, Johnny Jones Gas Station. Google Top Tier Gas.
6. Recommend using a full synthetic oil. This more to protect from deposits on the intake valves than anything else.

After doing and checking these items. Then you can start having fun. There is a lot of knowledge in this forum. There is no dumb question and there are always people willing to help. Enjoy your ride. I know I love mine.
Thank you so much! I will look into your suggestions! I bought It from a very reputable local dealership where I have family that works there. I became interested in this car after noticing that a neighboring business employee drove it. After about a year we finally crossed paths and I asked her about the car, she is in her early 60’s. She said she absolutely loved it but the time was nearing to turn it in on lease terms. Turns out she leased it from my cousin who works at the Dealership I mentioned. He affirmed that the car has been meticulously maintained and that she was the only person to ever drive it. There is literally not a scratch on the car and the inside still has the new car smell. It’s just one of those cases in life where me and this car finding each other was meant to be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome fish. Not the most refined transmission out there and can be clunky at times, especially between 2nd and 3rd depending on throttle control. Can't say I've ever heard tyranny noise like you are describing. Some members have reported their transmission under filled with fluid. May be worth your while to get this checked for piece of mind.
I am sure you'll enjoy this car. You chose the best color BTW.
It’s not tranny noise rather air intake noise. Kind of like a slight scratching noise when it up shifts

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Hello and welcome

Reactions: Fishingbuk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I've noticed some clunk when changing from 3rd to 2nd gear as well, especially when it's cooler out. I didn't think to check the transmission fluid, I'll do that next time I'm under the hood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts