Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,338 Posts
So being a little upset (admittedly over something not that important) that Ford didn't include the inner tail lights on the Sport models like they were shown on the pre-production model, I decided to do the swap.

The good news: no BCM programming is needed!

The bad news: you need to swap out the wiring harness inside the trunk lid. But it was only $20 right from Ford Parts, took me about 20 minutes, and it plugs right into the connector under the carpeting in the driver-side of the trunk.

It is part number 17K400 (full part number HG9Z-17K400-B - Replaced by part number HG9Z-17K400-F), make sure it says for "Tail Lamps - Level 3"

Let me know if anyone wants a full write-up done on this, I wouldn't mind at all. I felt it was pretty easy, just pull out one clip holding the harness at a time and put the new one in as you go. I would recommend waiting a little while to get the new light assemblies, ford requires a $50 core-charge on all assemblies for every retailer right now (assuming you go the OEM route), and the dealer I went to at least said Ford wouldn't accept the base tail lights.

S, SE, Sport:

Titanium, Platinum:

Harness connector:

Harness:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
So what are you trying to achieve? Not trying to come off as a jerk, I have no clue what you are trying to do here. I'm curious though

·
Super Moderator
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed the OEM inner tail lights on the trunk that have the running/park LED strip from the Titanium/Platinum is all, rather than how the just the exterior/brake lights having the LED strip.

Went from
to

·
Super Moderator
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I had to go out shortly after I finished so I didn't have time for a picture. I will post some in a little while when I go back out in an hour.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Like you, I was disappointed to find out the lights weren't the same as the original pics.

What is the cost of the replacement trunk lights?

·
Super Moderator
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, I love yours in white! Anyways, they were $224 each through one "e-commerce certified dealer" in my state, plus the surprising $50 core charge per light I mentioned. I'm guessing that will go away after a while? I've never seen that from Ford Parts. I feel terrible spending that kind of money but I think it looks much better at night now.

Reactions: Richard6229

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you check out the 2017 Fusion order guide dated 7/1/2016 or 9/1 under the Exterior Features Section of each trim it lists the “LED Taillamps (level 1 or 3). However, in the Sport section it does not even list the taillamps. The SE with the appearance package even has level 3. Did they change them to level 1 to save money? Maybe a supply issue? Not happy with level 1 but won’t spend the dollars to upgrade to level 3.
(I was hoping it was a package issue but DaMiFo has the 401a package and I don't think any other options would add it.)
EXTERIOR (Sport)
● 19” Premium Painted Tarnished Dark Wheel
● Door-Trim Upgrades
● LED Fog Lamps with High-gloss Black Bezel
● Quad-tip Dual Exhaust
● Rear Spoiler
● Unique Lower Grille
● Unique Upper High Gloss Black

·
Super Moderator
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting on the order guide, I never thought to check it. I actually have a copy of the full guide dated 03/01/16 when it was first released and it doesn't say anything about the Level 3 lights for the Sport on that one either (but it does for the SE). One guy over at 2GFusions has one fully loaded, and his didn't have the Level 3 lights either.

Also, here is the before & after. Sorry for bad quality.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Man, I love yours in white! Anyways, they were $224 each through one "e-commerce certified dealer" in my state, plus the surprising $50 core charge per light I mentioned. I'm guessing that will go away after a while? I've never seen that from Ford Parts. I feel terrible spending that kind of money but I think it looks much better at night now.

Those look fantastic. I am definitely adding it to me mod list. Do you have the part number for the inner tail light assembly? I was looking at the diagram on a OEM part website and I'm not sure what it is.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Great job, love that look. So are we talking a little under $500? Two light kits and the level 3 harness? I can't believe Ford omitted them on the Sport. (Maybe it's an error on the assembly line. Someone forgot to check a box, "install level 3" lol) So bummed.

·
Registered
246 Posts
wow, I didn't even notice when I took my test drive. I just assumed they would match the manufacturer pictures. How irritating. It does look WAY better with the lit inner lights. well done. This will have to be on my future mod list for sure.

For crying out loud, the pictures of the car in the banner of this website show them full-width! shame on ford for slipping this by...

·
Super Moderator
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah the naming on the parts website is messy. The full parts are HS7Z-13405-B and HS7Z-13404-B. Get the one with the description "Tail lamps - Level 3 Tail lamps - Level 1 ; Tail lamps - Level 3; inner, LH" (or RH at the end for the other one). With the core charge, it was just under $600 for everything after tax. If they stop charging the core charge after the '17s have been out for a while, then yeah just under $500.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I guess I never even noticed, considering that I never look at my car from behind while driving :D

But really. I like the "level 3" look. But that's a lot of money for what is little more than 4 extra strip lights.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I guess I never even noticed, considering that I never look at my car from behind while driving :D

But really. I like the "level 3" look. But that's a lot of money for what is little more than 4 extra strip lights.
I agree, it looks good, but I won't spend $500 just to do that.

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think it looks a lot more complete. I honestly wouldn't mind spending an extra 500$ comparing how much aftermarket sets would come out at later on.. if they do ?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
looks great. awesome find... Im gonna wait for the price to drop. thats kinda ridiculous for just the inner light

·
Super Moderator
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry for some reason I never got the notification that everyone responded to the thread and just noticed now.

what does it look like when the brakes are applied and turn signals and 4ways.
The bits above and below the chrome strip on the outer lights turn red for both brake and turn. Sorry I don't have a picture of my own but this is what it looks like for everything.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts