Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if its possible (and how hard/expensive) to change out the basic Sync W/ Applink system to the SYNC3 on the sports? Long story short the price was too good to refuse on an instock Fusion Sport w/ no options vs building my own or having one shipped in. Only thing i regret is not having the Android Auto. I can deal with the no auto climate control and all the extra pretty stuff, just wish it had the Android Auto. Might be the difference between keeping the car long term or trading it in when i get some cash freed up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No nav, no touch screen. Its basically the first gen of bluetooth enabled systems where it can read off text messages and has the voice interaction but that is it. Only like 3 apps are supports by Applink. To me its basically just a bluetooth connection to my phone for calls and songs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, i realize now i put this in the wrong category, can an admin move it over to the electronic and audio group? Sorry about that.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I wouldnt mind doing a conversation, I didnt get the sync 3 originally and I am happier I didnt because I like the gauges much better without it, however I wish i had some more of the application functionality.

·
Registered
293 Posts
No nav, no touch screen. Its basically the first gen of bluetooth enabled systems where it can read off text messages and has the voice interaction but that is it. Only like 3 apps are supports by Applink. To me its basically just a bluetooth connection to my phone for calls and songs.
Maybe i dont use mine to the full extent it is capable of. Cause i dont feel like it reallt offers not much? The pandora doesnt work very good, the nav is average.. traffic and speed limts are nice. Besides that.... what are you lookong to do?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Maybe i dont use mine to the full extent it is capable of. Cause i dont feel like it reallt offers not much? The pandora doesnt work very good, the nav is average.. traffic and speed limts are nice. Besides that.... what are you lookong to do?
Convenience of Android Auto/Car Play sold me

·
Registered
176 Posts
We have one of the nicest systems out there, with sync 3 using qnx and Android auto , compared to u connect = mopar and you have to pay to use it, I think it kinda sucks ! You do need to unlock your security for android auto in developer mode for it to function correctly on your phone, but it works great, you can dictate text messages, listen to amazon music, Pandora and Google music, and it enables you to ask questions and call people on the web or a business or a contact or just tell it to navigate somewhere, just using regular speech not made up commands , I think it's one of the best systems out there from other one's I used ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so back to the original question, has anyone heard of being able to change out the screens and sync system or would i basically be redoing the whole dash?

·
Registered
152 Posts
so back to the original question, has anyone heard of being able to change out the screens and sync system or would i basically be redoing the whole dash?
I'm not too sure about the Fusion in particular, but I had looked into doing this with my Focus ST. I originally got the base model and decided, a few months later, that I REALLY wanted the Sony SYNC system, since going aftermarket reduces functionality (steering wheel controls and what not) and I wasn't crazy about the base model stereo.

long story short, I learned that it CAN be done, but it's not what I'd call an easy or practical job. Get ready to tear the entire dashboard (literally) apart and spend a few thousand dollars for all the appropriate equipment to do the swap.

Thats probably the only real reason I opted for the 401A on the Fusion.... there was no way I was going to attempt that swap on a new car that I was still paying for lol. Good luck!

In my honest opinion, if you want Andoid auto or Apple CarPlay, you're better off going with an aftermarket stereo that supports them. You may still lose some functionality with the steering wheel controls, but it will be much cheaper and less headache that swapping in a SYNC unit.

edit: Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVIC-5200NEX-Navigation-Receiver-Touchscreen/dp/B01D6HTVNA

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not too sure about the Fusion in particular, but I had looked into doing this with my Focus ST. I originally got the base model and decided, a few months later, that I REALLY wanted the Sony SYNC system, since going aftermarket reduces functionality (steering wheel controls and what not) and I wasn't crazy about the base model stereo.

long story short, I learned that it CAN be done, but it's not what I'd call an easy or practical job. Get ready to tear the entire dashboard (literally) apart and spend a few thousand dollars for all the appropriate equipment to do the swap.

Thats probably the only real reason I opted for the 401A on the Fusion.... there was no way I was going to attempt that swap on a new car that I was still paying for lol. Good luck!

In my honest opinion, if you want Android auto or Apple CarPlay, you're better off going with an aftermarket stereo that supports them. You may still lose some functionality with the steering wheel controls, but it will be much cheaper and less headache that swapping in a SYNC unit.
Thanks, that is basically the conclusion i was coming to as well. not necessarily the android auto i was looking for but just more functionality. Call it a case of buyers remorse. At the time I was just happy to be getting a good deal on the Fusion Sport. My guess is that everyone else in the market for a FFS was looking at the higher trim packages and no one wanted this base model. I on the other hand was originally looking at a new Accord and couldn't justify the extra 10-15k for a loaded sport. The deal I got on the base model that had been sitting on the lot for 4 months made it a much easier pill to swallow, but now I'm regretting not having the extras at times. Its a blast to drive, but when stuck in rush hour commutes doing the speed limit at best missing out on the toys doesn't help. Assuming they keep the FFS alive I might be looking to upgrade in a year or two assuming trade in value holds good enough to give me a decent trade value vs loan remaining.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Why dont you just invest in a phone holder for the car and put it within arms reach? You wont get any greater funcionality through a Sync 3 touch screen.

If i were doing it i would buy a $250 10" tablet which i would pair with the car and hotspot the phone. You should be able to configure everything you want with less stress and less money. There's apps for voice control and dictation if you really need.

I have 401a so easy for me to say, but it doesnt sound like going through the hassle will be worth it for you. Sync 3 doesnt really offer more. I basically use the buttons below the screen for climate (faster than touch screen or voice) and the rest is rarely used.

I doubt an after market conversion will be financially viable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looked into it, you're long at approximately $3k for parts, time, install and headache. Not worth it unless you find a 17 fusion at the junk yard and well Frankenstein your car. Better off getting a quality aftermarket unit for $400 and losing the steering wheel function as its not worth the headache.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why dont you just invest in a phone holder for the car and put it within arms reach? You wont get any greater funcionality through a Sync 3 touch screen.
This is what im doing currently. issue is i drain my phone even when its plugged in by running google play music and waze for nav.

If i were doing it i would buy a $250 10" tablet which i would pair with the car and hotspot the phone. You should be able to configure everything you want with less stress and less money. There's apps for voice control and dictation if you really need.
Interesting idea, only issue would be remembering to turn on tether on phone each time get in car.

I have 401a so easy for me to say, but it doesnt sound like going through the hassle will be worth it for you. Sync 3 doesnt really offer more. I basically use the buttons below the screen for climate (faster than touch screen or voice) and the rest is rarely used.
Its more about having the functionality readily available i guess. Theres obviously other features im missing too, like the auto temp control.

I doubt an after market conversion will be financially viable.
Thats the way its appearing. Answer i was realy hoping for was "oh yea the dealer can swap it out for like $1200"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts