Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do you guys think of Sync 3? For me it's been a very pleasant surprise. By most accounts Sync 2 was a dog, so I didn't expect much from Sync 3 aside from it reportedly being more responsive. Having lived with it for a few weeks, I think it's an excellent system. We also recently bought a brand new Honda Pilot, and I can say unequivocally that Sync 3 destroys Honda's miserable infotainment system. At first glance the Sync 3 interface is not as "pretty" as some others, but the dark on light daytime theme is admirably glare proof, and most everything is readable and logically designed. It passed my "I should be able to figure this out without a manual" test with flying colors. I also like Ford's two instrument cluster displays on either side of the speedometer, although I'd like to see those screens updated to higher performance LCD's. The digital tach in particular is too small and runs at a low frame rate which limits its usefulness. I'll bet for the next generation Ford goes in the same direction as Audi and replaces the whole instrument cluster with a large LCD display on higher end models, but we'll see (Audi's virtual cockpit is superb.)

What's your take?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sync 3 is one of the main reasons I didn't pick up a 2016 model (non-sport, obviously). I've read some horrible things about it, to the extent of "not wishing it on their worst enemy" type of posts. That said, I'm glad I bought a 2017, even if it hadn't been a sport. The Sync 3 system is absolutely awesome. Everything is quick and responsive, the display is bright and easily visible during the day, and the "night" mode with the blacked out screen is perfect on the brightness scale. Just like you, I didn't use a manual for anything, just poked around a bit and checked settings. The little Info button next to most of the options does a wonderful job of telling you exactly what you're doing.

It would be nice, since this is a "sports car" to have an extra page on the infotainment system with some performance car info such as oil temp and pressure, intake temp, boost pressure, exhaust temp, etc. If somehow they can add that with a software update, I'll be a happy camper. As it stands, I'm at least a little interested in something like a smartphone with Torque or some aftermarket gauges for a couple of stats.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I wish it would work with Pandora better. Mostly use my Android phone with bluetooth & Pandora, but Sync 3 so far hasn't once auto-resumed Pandora between starts. It does say it is trying to resume when the car starts, but then just defaults back to FM radio. Travel for business fairly often, and plenty of cars can do this seamlessly. Pretty sure my last one was a Ford too, but not Sync 3 equipped. It also crashes whenever a commercial comes on Pandora, asking me if I want to restart the app. If Yes isn't pushed within a few seconds, back we go to FM automatically. Hope they can work out these bugs.

For the most part I've been using Android Auto which has been great. Didn't pay for the Sync 3 Nav option, so having GMaps navigation on the display is a huge bonus. Pandora also works much better through AA. Only downside is AA isn't wireless currently.

So Sync 3 has been pretty sub par imo. Still pleased with the upgraded speakers and LCD displays though. Although a 1080p display would have been a lot nicer for the main. Would have gladly paid an extra $50 or something for higher res.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Pretty sure I am in the minority when stating that I didn't experience any issues with Sync 2/MyFordTouch. To me, it seemed easy to navigate and functioned as intended... however, it did seem slow.

I find sync 3 to be a nice upgrade. The responsiveness of the touchscreen and speed at which is handles selections is good. Navigation is improved and is more in line with modern applications (web, phone, etc).

We've owned a couple of GM vehicles, and I can say I prefer Sync 3 over those hands down.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sync 3 works fabulously with Slacker Radio. Auto resumes every time, plus it has applink capability so I get a full user interface for the app right on screen. I am really loving Sync 3 and am so glad Ford has stepped up to provide as option on every vehicle this year.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Forgive my ignorance here, but how does audio streaming work on Sync3: Does Sync3 have dedicated built-in streaming apps (Slacker, Pandora, etc.) that use your phone's data plan to stream audio directly into the car's player? Or do you still rely on streaming apps on your phone, and then send the audio stream via Bluetooth to the car's player?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did have to reset my Sync 3 to defaults already. It quit recognizing my USB drive with all my music. It wouldn't exit the night mode in the day or stay connected to my phone.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Like any new software product, there will be upgrades and feature enhancements. Make sure to configure WiFi to access your home router and enable the update feature.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sync 3 works fabulously with Slacker Radio. Auto resumes every time, plus it has applink capability so I get a full user interface for the app right on screen. I am really loving Sync 3 and am so glad Ford has stepped up to provide as option on every vehicle this year.
Guess I'll try this next.

Tried Spotify today. App seemed good, played music I wanted. It did auto resume, but car audio was muted upon start, so had to press vol up on the wheel each time to hear it. Not sure if that's normal? Killer was that the app drained 20% of my phone battery in ~14 hours, while only playing like 20 minutes of music. Uninstall.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Guess I'll try this next.

Tried Spotify today. App seemed good, played music I wanted. It did auto resume, but car audio was muted upon start, so had to press vol up on the wheel each time to hear it. Not sure if that's normal? Killer was that the app drained 20% of my phone battery in ~14 hours, while only playing like 20 minutes of music. Uninstall.
Definitely give Slacker a chance. I use an iPhone but not sure if it matters I don't understand your battery concern . I'd be happy with 14 hours and only 20% usage. Don't know if anything that's using cellular will be anywhere near that good. I like Slacker because you can store "stations" on your phone and play without cell use.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Definitely give Slacker a chance. I use an iPhone but not sure if it matters I don't understand your battery concern . I'd be happy with 14 hours and only 20% usage. Don't know if anything that's using cellular will be anywhere near that good. I like Slacker because you can store "stations" on your phone and play without cell use.
Meant I had my phone unplugged for 14 hours, but only played Spotify for about 20 minutes. According to the battery stats, Spotify consumed 20% during the 14 hours. It was paused, but the app was running in the background. First time I can remember needing to put the phone on charge before bed, besides travel days on planes. That is unacceptable.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am enjoying sync 3 a lot. I have android and my daughter has Apple. We tried both android auto and apple car play and both worked flawlessly. It even reads emoji's out loud which was funny as ****.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Definitely give Slacker a chance.
Yea think I found a winner. Auto resumes instantly every time so far and not muted. Only thing that sucks is there doesn't seem to be a dedicated Slacker Radio App to link with Sync 3 on Android. Is there with iOS? There is in Android Auto, but that needs USB connection, which I only use when needing navigation.

So with Sync 3 you only get the generic bluetooth music controls with a small pic of the album and standard audio menu background. Hopefully this is updated soon. There is a specific option within Slacker Radio to enable compatibility with Sync 3, but still doesn't show in app list in Sync 3.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yea think I found a winner. Auto resumes instantly every time so far and not muted. Only thing that sucks is there doesn't seem to be a dedicated Slacker Radio App to link with Sync 3 on Android. Is there with iOS? There is in Android Auto, but that needs USB connection, which I only use when needing navigation.

So with Sync 3 you only get the generic bluetooth music controls with a small pic of the album and standard audio menu background. Hopefully this is updated soon. There is a specific option within Slacker Radio to enable compatibility with Sync 3, but still doesn't show in app list in Sync 3.
For Iphone, you do have to use usb connection to make use of applink (that's the app interface on sync3 screen). I thought android didn't need it but i don't have android and haven't tried. I rarely use it that way, but it is pretty slick to have full control of the app in the dash. I think Slacker curation is ridiculously better than the others, so I'm glad you're having good luck with it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
So I've only been using the Pandora app with sync 3. It works great with my android phone using Bluetooth, except for one large flaw. When I turn the car off and back on the radio shows it is off. It flashes a message very quickly when I turn the car on saying restarting Pandora, then syncing to phone, but then the radio is off. When I turn the radio on it defaults to FM, and then when I choose Pandora as my audio source it INSTANTANEOUSLY continues the song where it left off when I turned the car off. I have checked and am using the lasted version of sync 3. Bummer. I haven't tried using it with my phone as the source w/ Pandora running on phone like rockinZ28 is using slacker. It's nice being able to have full control of Pandora on the dash w/ Bluetooth, just a pain when I exit/reenter car.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm running an iPhone and use CarPlay daily... mainly for the navigation and Spotify. So, I'm always plugged into power so I don't run the risk of battery drain.

Spotify: sometimes it doesn't always kick on if I leave the phone plugged in and shut the car off (I've got 2 phones). Other than that, navigating Spotify is super simple via CarPlay

Navigation: This makes me happy... even if it is Apple Maps.

I've yet to try and run any apps via applink.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So I've only been using the Pandora app with sync 3. It works great with my android phone using Bluetooth, except for one large flaw. When I turn the car off and back on the radio shows it is off. It flashes a message very quickly when I turn the car on saying restarting Pandora, then syncing to phone, but then the radio is off. When I turn the radio on it defaults to FM, and then when I choose Pandora as my audio source it INSTANTANEOUSLY continues the song where it left off when I turned the car off. I have checked and am using the lasted version of sync 3. Bummer. I haven't tried using it with my phone as the source w/ Pandora running on phone like rockinZ28 is using slacker. It's nice being able to have full control of Pandora on the dash w/ Bluetooth, just a pain when I exit/reenter car.
That sounds exactly the problem I have with Pandora, posted on post #3 of this thread. It refuses to auto resume, and reason why I've started using Slacker.

Slacker is pretty much the same as Pandora anyway, just a pain trying to make it learn what I want. But 3 days in and it's already pretty good. Been using Pandora exclusively for years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts