Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have downloaded the most recent version of SYNC 3, unzipped it, and put it on an 8gb exFat formatted USB drive. In the root folder of the drive is the syncmyride folder, autoinstall lst file, and DONTINDX.MSA. When I put the drive in my car, in just a few moments the "Updating System Software" message appears in the upper left corner of the screen. About 5 to 10 minutes later, the "Updating System Software" message disappears. Has my update failed or is this normal? I have given it an extra 10 minutes or so after the message has disappeared. I dont know if I am just not being patient enough or if something has gone wrong.

Also, I have previously tried to update SYNC 3 over wifi and that method disabled my voice recognition systems (I get a "Voice Recognition Not Ready" error when I press the button), and has seemed to effect other aspects of the system (my phone stopped connecting, the clock will no longer remembers its daylight savings time, etc). I am concerned based on this that the fix is a new APIM based on Googling "SYN3 Voice Recognition Not Ready". My FuSpo is recently out of warranty...so, I am quite concerned about this.

·
Registered
632 Posts
If you hunt thru old posts here, you will find a mountain of problems updating, especially with USB but also with WiFi. It could be a bad module but over the years here, it almost always has turned out to be crummy update protocol/software. Check for other DIY fixes in old posts on this forum. If memory serves me, one thing to try is a master reset.

·
Super Moderator
1,732 Posts
It does take quite some time to update, even via USB. You will get a popup message saying the update is complete and it'll finish installing once the car restarts (it's not going to be instant after that, either).

Is yours a navigation or non-nav system? The non-nav systems are a 2-part update. If you don't turn off the car and let everything power down for a few minutes, start the car back up and plug in your USB drive til you get another "update complete" message you've only half update the system and things will not work properly (similar to what you are seeing).

Edit: As ColoradoGuy mentioned, it's not necessary but it's good practice to do a master reset before an update.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried master reset multiple times. I have a nav system. I am going to go try a different USB drive just in case (loading files onto now...). It looks an APIM replacement could cost $1000 give or a take a few hundred. Im pretty desperate to avoid that, particularly since this seems like a software issue. Also, I have been searching around, this forum and others, hoping to find a solution. It is clear I am not alone in having issues, but so far I havent found anything quite like the issue I have. My SYNC 3 says "Updating System Software..." pretty quickly, and then it just disappears after a few minutes. I would rather not let the car run for 30 minutes or an hour burning gas when it is not clear anything is even happening.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Why does one need to update the system? Mine has a born on date of 4/23/19, probably one of the last few that will roll off the line. I assume I'm running the latest version? What is the benefit to updating? Lastly why doesn't the built in modem just download and autoupdate?

·
Super Moderator
1,732 Posts
I have tried master reset multiple times. I have a nav system. I am going to go try a different USB drive just in case (loading files onto now...). It looks an APIM replacement could cost $1000 give or a take a few hundred. Im pretty desperate to avoid that, particularly since this seems like a software issue. Also, I have been searching around, this forum and others, hoping to find a solution. It is clear I am not alone in having issues, but so far I havent found anything quite like the issue I have. My SYNC 3 says "Updating System Software..." pretty quickly, and then it just disappears after a few minutes. I would rather not let the car run for 30 minutes or an hour burning gas when it is not clear anything is even happening.
You can go for a drive while it's updating... And it's not necessarily going to show obvious signs it's updating. I've done many updates successfully on many cars, sometimes it stays on showing "Updating...", sometimes it only stays for a few minutes. You have to be patient.

Even if you had the dealer force reload SYNC it'll be much cheaper than a replacement APIM.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ColoradoGuy

·
Registered
223 Posts
When I did mine I remember that message about 10 minutes in where it makes you think you are done, but you are not. Halfway through the update the screen restarts but it is still updating behind the scenes even if the notification goes away. Try it again the next time you have a 30-40 minute drive planned. I cant remember if there is a second finished installing message, i think there is. Ignore the first one. I wouldn't put much stock into what the notification bar says.

·
Registered
632 Posts
As others point out, it can take forever, and often it is not clear anything is happening. And then sometimes it flat out doesn't work. High odds it is one of these things. In fact back in the early days when folks on the forum were having this problem and getting new modules under warranty - some (all?) were likely just software issues then too. Follow the advice and keep trying the update!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I updated the wifes 16 fusion sync 2, not the same thing but, it did almost exactly as you described. The problem was something like i either unzipped the files into the folder or i had an extra file on there. There literally couldn't be anything but exactly how the ford site said. Then it worked... For the sport mine updated over wifi once i think but it was fairly quick

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
My FSport's SYNC updated by itself to 3.x by itself, 3 months after I spent hours trying to push the update. My dad's SYNC 3 refuses to automatically update so it has been stuck on 2.x ever since he got it. There's no rhyme or reason.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally had a chance to give the update from USB an hour or so, and nothing happened after the "Updating System..." notification in the status bar went away. My SYNC 3 other than a few minor glitches was working fine prior to a wifi update that broke the voice activation system. Does anyone know more about the possibility of a dealer being able to force an update, and what that might cost if anything? Im still concerned the verdict may be a bad APIM based on other comments Ive come across saying "Voice Activation Not Ready" = bad APIM. My FuSpo is a few months out of a warranty now, if it is a bad APIM, is there any hope of getting Ford to cover its replacement given it was their update that caused the problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try to avoid an APIM replacement at all cost! I was quoted $1,800 at my dealership. After a USB update on SYNC 3 + Nav it destroyed my APIM. My screen lagged touch response by 10+ seconds on a good day. My navigation was always 3+ miles behind me. I did EXACTLY what the Ford site instructed (with 3 monitors so I could unzip/ drag and click while reading instructions on 3rd monitor.
The service tech assured me my issue has nothing to do with the update, and there is no correlation between an update and an APIM having issues. I knew was BS (as I work for a software company and my dad is a Master Technician) the Shop Manager told me that happens ALL THE TIME.
With refusing to spend $1,800 on a APIM that their software messed up, I just dealt with it. A year and a half later, my car works PERFECTLY! I assume it is due to the WiFi updates over time removed a bug or replaced a bad file downloaded from the usb update. I 100% DO NOT recommend doing a USB update!

·
Super Moderator
1,732 Posts
Try to avoid an APIM replacement at all cost! I was quoted $1,800 at my dealership. After a USB update on SYNC 3 + Nav it destroyed my APIM. My screen lagged touch response by 10+ seconds on a good day. My navigation was always 3+ miles behind me. I did EXACTLY what the Ford site instructed (with 3 monitors so I could unzip/ drag and click while reading instructions on 3rd monitor.
The service tech assured me my issue has nothing to do with the update, and there is no correlation between an update and an APIM having issues. I knew was BS (as I work for a software company and my dad is a Master Technician) the Shop Manager told me that happens ALL THE TIME.
With refusing to spend $1,800 on a APIM that their software messed up, I just dealt with it. A year and a half later, my car works PERFECTLY! I assume it is due to the WiFi updates over time removed a bug or replaced a bad file downloaded from the usb update. I 100% DO NOT recommend doing a USB update!
That's definitely a rare occurrence though - majority of the time updating SYNC fixes issues for people (unless they have hardware-related faults of course). Did you ever try a factory reset after updating?

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's definitely a rare occurrence though - majority of the time updating SYNC fixes issues for people (unless they have hardware-related faults of course). Did you ever try a factory reset after updating?
Yes, I tried resetting the system, then a factory reset on it. My dad bought a (1 day or something) subscription through Ford’s website for his scanner to attempt to fix it. Apparently he needed to buy the $800 subscription which I refused to do as well.
I would just hate for someone to do an update and it cause WAY more issues than before like my case. Especially when you’re not sure if the update was completed. Great thread and insight! Very informative!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts