Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this issue didn't crop up on my radar until tonight. I was doing some more research on a whim about playing videos on the SYNC 3 system like I've been wanting to do forever. This so far has been a dead end everywhere and just a half year ago when I looked there was really nothing.

However, apparently working in secret (mainly due to Ford's potential legal wrath) a small team has been able to recently jailbreak the SYNC 3 system and allow you to change things about it. I'm no developer so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Essentially with just 3 thumb drives, you can download all the files you need to install modding tools onto your APIM. Previously this was done by removing the APIM and using some quite frankly very janky looking stuff with EMMc flashing.

There are a variety of small modifications right now and more are to follow. They include things like playing videos from a thumb drive, a weather app for the car, and allowing you to turn off the screen from the status bar up top.

It goes without saying that this is all highly grey stuff. Watching videos while you are driving is a super bad idea and Ford really doesn't like people screwing with their SYNC system so time will tell what will happen as this hack is pretty new.

I'd love to hear any feedback from any software developers here about this project and their opinions of it. I may try and install this on my Fusion sometime soon and make a specific tutorial for everyone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey everyone, this issue didn't crop up on my radar until tonight. I was doing some more research on a whim about playing videos on the SYNC 3 system like I've been wanting to do forever. This so far has been a dead end everywhere and just a half year ago when I looked there was really nothing.

However, apparently working in secret (mainly due to Ford's potential legal wrath) a small team has been able to recently jailbreak the SYNC 3 system and allow you to change things about it. I'm no developer so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Essentially with just 3 thumb drives, you can download all the files you need to install modding tools onto your APIM. Previously this was done by removing the APIM and using some quite frankly very janky looking stuff with EMMc flashing.

There are a variety of small modifications right now and more are to follow. They include things like playing videos from a thumb drive, a weather app for the car, and allowing you to turn off the screen from the status bar up top.

It goes without saying that this is all highly grey stuff. Watching videos while you are driving is a super bad idea and Ford really doesn't like people screwing with their SYNC system so time will tell what will happen as this hack is pretty new.

I'd love to hear any feedback from any software developers here about this project and their opinions of it. I may try and install this on my Fusion sometime soon and make a specific tutorial for everyone.
I'm interested in seeing how it goes. Would love to see a video on it.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

Very cool!!! Thanks for the video link!

·
Registered
101 Posts
From my user experience I am seeing 4 possible improvement to Sync 3:
Is there a way to unlock the GPS keyboard when the car is running?
Is there a way to simplify the GPS route cancellation (in one touch)?
Is there a way to modify the climate control menu (defrost on/off in one touch)?
Is it possible to add a button swapping between Android and auto/Sync3 visualization?

To me these are the main weak points of the Sync 3 user interface.
But I am dreaming...

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
From my user experience I am seeing 4 possible improvement to Sync 3:
Is there a way to unlock the GPS keyboard when the car is running?
Is there a way to simplify the GPS route cancellation (in one touch)?
Is there a way to modify the climate control menu (defrost on/off in one touch)?
Is it possible to add a button swapping between Android and auto/Sync3 visualization?

To me these are the main weak points of the Sync 3 user interface.
But I am dreaming...
If you sign up on the website mentioned in the video, they have information on there about the mods that are available. I haven't signed up yet so I don't know what the mods are, but that's apparently how people can see what's available.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you sign up on the website mentioned in the video, they have information on there about the mods that are available. I haven't signed up yet so I don't know what the mods are, but that's apparently how people can see what's available.
Got this for y'all on the website.

The following post contains all the mods developed by the Community for your Sync 3.

Please note that ALL packages available through Fmods.net website don't contain any Ford Motor Company Copyrighted File. All modifications to the system are made through a patches system.

Carefully read the mod's topic and the mod's Readm.txt file before attempting install it.

Basic Mods:
These are useful utilities that are required to install mods or change your Sync 3 version without losing the USB Daemon Installer

Miscellaneus Mods:
This is a list of various mods, usually usefull to improve and add features to your Sync 3

Graphics Mods:
Mods that somehow customize a specific area of your Sync 3 UI

Utilities Mods:

In-Development Mods:
This is a list of various mods that are in development that will be released in future

1 - 6 of 6 Posts