Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm Dan and I currently own a sonic blue 2005 Ford Mustang GT. I'm the original owner, after saving up for a downpayment on it from the time I was 13. It got me through the end of high school, into college, and my first "real" job out of school in Harrisburg, PA. It's only at 98,000 miles at the moment, and I've kept great care of it, but every year at inspection more and more things need replaced or fixed.

I've had my eye on a new Fusion Sport since reading about them last year, and have been keeping a lookout for a blue one. I found one nearby yesterday, and with it being the end of the year, there's great incentives and financing that I qualified for. They gave me a great offer for the Mustang as a trade in. Now I just need to get over the "pain" of losing my Mustang and finalize it all. Have any of you had to do something similar?

I just feel like I've outgrown the Mustang and the obsession I had for them growing up, at least for the time being. I'm married now, no kids, yet. If I had space at my house, I'd consider keeping it and getting the FSS as well. But with the offer they gave me on the trade in, it's kind of hard to resist keeping money for a downpayment in the bank. I know the smart thing to do would be to trade it in, and maybe 10 years from now I can get a 2027 Mustang :)

I'm considering the FSS because I think it's a good transition type of car out of the Mustang. It's fast, but it's also practical. More than 2 people can ride in it. The AWD will help me in the PA winters. And my 05 Mustang feels like it's from a century ago with none of today's tech in it.

Anyway, I've read through some posts here and have an idea towards feelings on the FSS. Looking forward to chatting if I go through with it! It's just hard giving up my "first" car that has so many memories!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Well you've already acknowledged most of the reasons all lot of us here choose the FuSpo:
Room for 4 real adults, all wheel drive in PA, technology etc. I'll add comfort to that list.
Not too say anything bad about your Gt but you probably won't be giving up too much performance.
FuSpo technically has more hp and torque than your GT assuming it is stock. If comparing automatics, FuSpo is very close 0-60 stock 5.3 vs 5.1(auto) and the FuSpo should be faster in 1/4 mile. It certainly can't compete with a new GT but given the points you already made, and considering the performance you came from I think you will be pretty happy joining our club.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi all, I'm Dan and I currently own a sonic blue 2005 Ford Mustang GT. I'm the original owner, after saving up for a downpayment on it from the time I was 13. It got me through the end of high school, into college, and my first "real" job out of school in Harrisburg, PA. It's only at 98,000 miles at the moment, and I've kept great care of it, but every year at inspection more and more things need replaced or fixed.

I've had my eye on a new Fusion Sport since reading about them last year, and have been keeping a lookout for a blue one. I found one nearby yesterday, and with it being the end of the year, there's great incentives and financing that I qualified for. They gave me a great offer for the Mustang as a trade in. Now I just need to get over the "pain" of losing my Mustang and finalize it all. Have any of you had to do something similar?

I just feel like I've outgrown the Mustang and the obsession I had for them growing up, at least for the time being. I'm married now, no kids, yet. If I had space at my house, I'd consider keeping it and getting the FSS as well. But with the offer they gave me on the trade in, it's kind of hard to resist keeping money for a downpayment in the bank. I know the smart thing to do would be to trade it in, and maybe 10 years from now I can get a 2027 Mustang :)

I'm considering the FSS because I think it's a good transition type of car out of the Mustang. It's fast, but it's also practical. More than 2 people can ride in it. The AWD will help me in the PA winters. And my 05 Mustang feels like it's from a century ago with none of today's tech in it.

Anyway, I've read through some posts here and have an idea towards feelings on the FSS. Looking forward to chatting if I go through with it! It's just hard giving up my "first" car that has so many memories!
Well I am in the same situation. Have 2015 Mustang GT, PP,50 aniv option 4000 miles. Had it for over 1 year, but because of my age[70] and problems with my knees it was getting harder to get in and out of the car.

Wanted performance and full options. In Canada the Sport comes with every thing the only option is color other than accessories. Made a reasonable deal with rebate of $3500 from Ford and winter tire package included.

Car is still on order and with the other comments made on this site about the car feel that it should be a good move. A grandpa car with big balls!!!>:)

Hope you make out with your move over.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Same here, I'm going to trade my 2014 GT mustang with a VMP SC kit that's putting down 600RWHP for the sport. Will I miss my stang, you bet I will but the sport is a good compromise, has more bells n whistles and its more practical.
I'll miss the rear wheel drive in the summer, but I will love the AWD in the winter. I will also miss the SC whine, but I get the pleasure of hearing 2 turbo's along with the blow off from them. No matter how you look at, it will have its positives and negatives.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey Dan - I'm also in a very similar situation, just not age wise, I'm 53, so probably twice your age. I currently am driving a 2010 Mustang GT, bu so it's only practical most of the time to drive a 2 seat RWD muscle car. I love my Stang, and I kind of hate to give up on it, (It's a manual too), but when I have to go to work in poor weather, I will appreciate the AWD big time. I haven't purchased the FS yet, still thinking on it hard due to all the folks having their battery issue, but if they clear that up, it won't be long before I trade in my V8 for a twin turbo 6!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hey Dan - I'm also in a very similar situation, just not age wise, I'm 53, so probably twice your age. I currently am driving a 2010 Mustang GT, bu so it's only practical most of the time to drive a 2 seat RWD muscle car. I love my Stang, and I kind of hate to give up on it, (It's a manual too), but when I have to go to work in poor weather, I will appreciate the AWD big time. I haven't purchased the FS yet, still thinking on it hard due to all the folks having their battery issue, but if they clear that up, it won't be long before I trade in my V8 for a twin turbo 6!
Battery Issues
Leaking Half Shaft Seals

For me personally, list of daily issues with the car.

-Heated seats sometimes dont work when I use my remote start.
-Sometimes my driver side mirror doesnt auto go back to my preset after my wife drives.
-Last week for some reason the climate control fans would not turn on. I had to shut the car off, open the door, close the door and start it to get them to work. Turning the car off and on wouldnt fix it.
-Sometimes I have really hard shifts that make me think I broke something, even though I wasnt driving the car hard.
-None navigation radio, when I start the car the radio channel display always says "Preset 4" even though I might be on preset channel 1.
-If I use sync with my iphone and sync my contacts, my radio says its making a call to my cell phone and neither work. The only way to fix it is to disable blue tooth on my phone, this will occur randomly after I have synched everything, usually within a week.
-The rotors rust really easily. If it rains at night, the next morning when backing up my car it is ridiculously loud.
-Brake pedal is extremely touchy in the cold.

The longer I own this car, the more pissed off I get at it. So many stupid little problems, its ridiculous that I have less than 7K miles on my car and its already in the shop for warranty repairs. I honestly wouldnt recommend this car to anyone.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
There are some people, like Jayson, that have had issues with the car. It happens when you get a first model year. There are also a lot of us that have had good luck with our cars and not had any issues yet. Does that mean they will be free of issues? No. There very well could be issues that are seen. Once again, an issue with first model years. Should there still be these kinds of issues with new cars in this day and age? You would think not, but there are a lot of people in a lot of cars that are having issues. Not really a lot more I can say other than I love my car so far and I am sitting at almost 5500 miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am 53 years old and traded in my 2012 Mustang V6 premium with 22,000 mile for my FuSpo and love it. I currently have 2200 miles on it and have not had any issues with it to date. My kids are grown and not living at home so I thought that another Mustang made since, but there are times when I still need a 4dr car. They gave me a fair price for the Mustang and zero percent financing I pull the trigger. It is faster than the Mustang goes through the snow better and does not draw the attention of the guys in blue.

·
Registered
624 Posts
As Wildcat said, there are owners with problems and owners without. I don't know the percentages of people experiencing problems, but I expect it's much lower than this forum makes it seem. Those without problems aren't searching the Web for help/answers. This forum consists of a realitively small sample size of owners I assume. But I can understand ones trepidation in purchasing after hearing the problems, I know I would certainly have hesitated.

All that said, I have almost 7000 miles no problems even after running a tune for approx. the last 4000. 401a, cooled seats, June build date.

·
Registered
165 Posts
New model year

There are some people, like Jayson, that have had issues with the car. It happens when you get a first model year. There are also a lot of us that have had good luck with our cars and not had any issues yet. Does that mean they will be free of issues? No. There very well could be issues that are seen. Once again, an issue with first model years. Should there still be these kinds of issues with new cars in this day and age? You would think not, but there are a lot of people in a lot of cars that are having issues. Not really a lot more I can say other than I love my car so far and I am sitting at almost 5500 miles.

Is this really a new model year? It's basically the same Ford Fusion since '13 with a different drivetrain and suspension. Why all the electrical problems? These gremlins IMO shouldn't be the issue. I can understand if there were issues with the new drivetrain or suspension, but why all the electrical nightmares?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Is this really a new model year? It's basically the same Ford Fusion since '13 with a different drivetrain and suspension. Why all the electrical problems? These gremlins IMO shouldn't be the issue. I can understand if there were issues with the new drivetrain or suspension, but why all the electrical nightmares?
has there been a sport in this generation? no? then its a first model year

·
Registered
296 Posts
Had my Sport since first week in August had to replace the hose to intercooler was cut to short from factory and a window motor. I have 11,000 miles now and truly love this car. I had a lot of cars but first time I haven't gotten bored of one after a week or two after getting it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
has there been a sport in this generation? no? then its a first model year

I guess we're getting into semantics here. It's the same body hardware and electricals as the other Fusions in the line. Just putting a "SPORT" tag on the back doesn't make it a completely new model in my opinion. Just like the Fusion Titanium isn't a new model just because it has the 2.0L turbo the base model doesn't have. The main issue dogging this car, at least it appears that way to me, is the electronics, and this is shared with all Fusions in the lineup, whether it's the Titanium or Sport.

·
Registered
165 Posts
That would be a first trim level, not a first model year. Model is Fusion, Mustang, Focus etc. Trim is sport, titanium, SE, RS, etc.

Thanks Jayson, you settled that in far less words than I. Good job!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
OK, trim level. You win. It is a new TRIM level. Doesn't change the fact that new versions tend to have issues and takes one to two years generally to work out. Some people get lucky, some don't.

·
Registered
165 Posts
OK, trim level. You win. It is a new TRIM level. Doesn't change the fact that new versions tend to have issues and takes one to two years generally to work out. Some people get lucky, some don't.

Not trying to be argumentative WC, but the problem with your stance is this issue is now prevalent across the Fusion lineup, not just the Sport. I've read the majority of comments on the DEAD BATTERY thread, and this issue is not solely with the Sport models, it's all trim levels.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Not trying to be argumentative WC, but the problem with your stance is this issue is now prevalent across the Fusion lineup, not just the Sport. I've read the majority of comments on the DEAD BATTERY thread, and this issue is not solely with the Sport models, it's all trim levels.
I have read the entire thread and have been following it since the beginning. I am aware of that. I am not trying to say there aren't issues, cause there very clearly is... with SOME cars. There are Lincolns and other Fords that are having similar issues too. I am willing to guarantee that they made a revision to some wire harnessing or changed something that has caused the issue. The problem I see, is it doesn't make sense why some are having issues and others aren't. If it was a batch issue, all issues would be contained to a short time frame. They aren't. The issues are seen across all build dates, with people in the same build date range not having issues. No true pattern has been able to be found and pretty much every car that has been deemed "fixed" has had a different fix done.

So to get the thread back on track:

OP, yes there are issues with some cars. You might want to wait a year. Otherwise you can make a bet with yourself that you will get one of the ones that aren't having issues. It is your choice. The poll shows more people with an issue, but there are a lot of people that are on the forum that haven't participated in the poll probably because they aren't having issues so they haven't bothered to come back on the forum lately. You are getting a lot of people coming to this forum, solely because of this issue.

I am (so far) one of the lucky ones, and thoroughly enjoy my car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
WC - I'm glad that you're enjoying your car, and I truly hope you enjoy it for as long as you own it. I wouldn't even be here if I wasn't interested in it, I really am, but I'm just concerned. This is the first time I've gone on a forum for a car before I bought it. It actually seemed like exactly what I was looking for, and I may still purchase on this year, but it would be nice to know that have a resolution to the issue that some people are having.

Happy New Year WC, keep spooling up those turbos! :)

Reactions: Wildcat Birdie

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bums me out to hear Jayson's story- I hope you get your issues resolved over time. I remember from the early days of the forum you were pretty excited about the car. Hopefully they get the problems ironed out in this "first year" for the trim level for this gen. I suspect like any car, for every few bad examples (of which we focus on in a forum setting) there are many many times that amount of good reliable cars. Still, my 2010 FuSpo is the the very first Sport, first year trim of that gen and at 191k I've only had to replace the brakes once, replace one seat heater pad, and replace two ball joints. And despite what I said above, I still have my doubts as one of those perspective buyers that the new one will be as reliable. Maybe there's just too many electronics now? If I buy another FuSpo, I'll wait for the '18s (hopefully have a black interior option!!) and keep the beloved '10'as a backup ��
Bringing it back to the original thread, that said, Ive also toyed with the opposite idea, or to buy a Mustang GT instead of the the FuSpo. But, with the amount of people I hear about who are trading their GTs for a FuSpo or thinking of doing so, I'm probably going to miss my comfort, space, and four doors. Dan- as long as she holds up well, you will have no regrets going to the FuSpo. I do recall a hundred years ago when I was just out of high school I got rid of my 89 GT for a '90 SHO- best thing carwise I ever did!!
Thanks for putting up with my rambling- love this forum- a good group of people. A shout out to my Adrian, MI brother Lee- hope Richard and Friends figure out your electrical drain issue!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts