Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the cause of creaking noises when turning. Even turning lightly to go into a drive thru or into a parking lot I hear tons of creaking and weird noises and I can’t seem to figure it out anywhere so if one of y’all could help me that would be fantastic. I have a 2017 Sport with nothing done to it completely stock. My co worker was telling me to try and find polyurethane bushings to maybe get rid of the sound but he has 0 clue what it could be. If someone could enlighten me that would be awesome!

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Welcome. Creaking or "weird noises" could by many things coming from the front end. Have you tried jacking up the front end of the car and turning the steering wheel with the tires off the ground? Do you feel anything through the steering wheel, like a steering rack issue? Sway bar endlinks often creak (although I've never seen/heard of that happening on Fusion Sports specifically yet). Do all the other bushings seem OK?

As for poly bushings, they are great for improving stiffness for certain cases, but can (and usually do) make a lot more noises unless you grease them (and often keep up with greasing them). Not the first thing I'd do if it was annoying noises I was trying to fix.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
626 Posts
How many miles are on your car?
My 09 MKZ would do that and it needed ball joints at 60,000 miles, (but it started around 45,000)
Ford's ball joints are less than stellar, my 02 Ranger need them at 45,000 miles too.
One of the main reasons I bought an ESP, I'm sure the Fusion will need them before my ESP runs out at 100,000 miles.

Poly bushings for what, the control arms? I've had poly bushings and it makes the ride a bit harsher.
I would not think the control arms would make a creaking noise when turning, they move when you hit a bump or dip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have this same thing with my car took it in to the dealership and since it’s intermittent they determined it was nothing. Does it happen all the time?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
How many miles are on your car?
My 09 MKZ would do that and it needed ball joints at 60,000 miles, (but it started around 45,000)
Ford's ball joints are less than stellar, my 02 Ranger need them at 45,000 miles too.
One of the main reasons I bought an ESP, I'm sure the Fusion will need them before my ESP runs out at 100,000 miles.

Poly bushings for what, the control arms? I've had poly bushings and it makes the ride a bit harsher.
I would not think the control arms would make a creaking noise when turning, they move when you hit a bump or dip.
I have about 63k miles on it. I’ll check that tomorrow thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome. Creaking or "weird noises" could by many things coming from the front end. Have you tried jacking up the front end of the car and turning the steering wheel with the tires off the ground? Do you feel anything through the steering wheel, like a steering rack issue? Sway bar endlinks often creak (although I've never seen/heard of that happening on Fusion Sports specifically yet). Do all the other bushings seem OK?

As for poly bushings, they are great for improving stiffness for certain cases, but can (and usually do) make a lot more noises unless you grease them (and often keep up with greasing them). Not the first thing I'd do if it was annoying noises I was trying to fix.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I’ve been waiting in jacking rails to jack it up cuz I don’t trust myself lol. I don’t feel anything in the steering wheel at all it’s just an annoying noise that does really sound good. I’ll definitely check that tomorrow when my rails come in thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have this same thing with my car took it in to the dealership and since it’s intermittent they determined it was nothing. Does it happen all the time?
Ya almost everytime I turn. I do canyon runs with my co workers out in Malibu and I don’t know if that made it worse but I’ve always heard it sense I bought the car used with 50k miles

·
Registered
70 Posts
Does anyone know the cause of creaking noises when turning. Even turning lightly to go into a drive thru or into a parking lot I hear tons of creaking and weird noises and I can’t seem to figure it out anywhere so if one of y’all could help me that would be fantastic. I have a 2017 Sport with nothing done to it completely stock. My co worker was telling me to try and find polyurethane bushings to maybe get rid of the sound but he has 0 clue what it could be. If someone could enlighten me that would be awesome!
Is it only at low speeds? Mine was the steering gear. heard it mainly at parking lot speeds pulling in and out of spots.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I keep waiting for someone to say it...
“There’s an annoying noise coming from the passenger seat”

...but seriously, I had a problem with creaking noises while turning from my 2010 Fusion Sport, and ended up in the steering column some bushing through the firewall I think.
But I also agree with La Flama Blanca about Ford ball joints. Just be careful of aftermarket replacements because I’ve found them to be even worse in some cases. My method is to stick with FoMoCo parts and just plan/save to replace the sucky ones. In my experience the majority of Fords parts are pretty good considering the price point, and the overall balance of money saved on parts that lasted 100+k versus ones that only lasted 40-60k is in my favor.

Reactions: lyee

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I keep waiting for someone to say it...
“There’s an annoying noise coming from the passenger seat”
Hi @Shawnski
The noises from the passenger seat are also related to problems maintaining the normal "Auto" HVAC settings in the car. I normally run with "Auto" and a set temperature, but the system seems to be unable to maintain this setting when the passenger seat noise is occurring. In particular, the fan speed alternates between off and full blast, and the temperature alternates between max and minimum. Further investigation is required to determine the cause, but it's definitely related.

I have noticed that the passenger seat noises are much more pronounced during hard acceleration, cornering, or braking. Further investigation is required to determine the cause. ;)

Reactions: Shawnski and DaMiFo

·
Registered
842 Posts
LOL!!!
That’s a perfect description of the same problems I had with the auto climate!!
I was able to mostly fix the problem by installing one of those Lexan anti-COVID type spit-guards between the front seats.
Haha!

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
LOL!!!
That’s a perfect description of the same problems I had with the auto climate!!
I was able to mostly fix the problem by installing one of those Lexan anti-COVID type spit-guards between the front seats.
Haha!
That's a great solution! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
70 Posts
On my 17 sport the noise was the steering gear itself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Own a 2017 sport - Had the same thing happen 2 years ago…. Dealership took it, said nothing is wrong… I took it back and said… you’re wrong

They came back and said it was the front right control arm, while trying to sell me all new wheels and tires… the “replaced” it and was fine up until about a week ago.

my bet is they greased some joint, charged me $500 and sent me on my way.

I will be digging in to this today and my friend shop and will let you know what we find.

never trust the dealers….

·
Registered
408 Posts
Own a 2017 sport - Had the same thing happen 2 years ago…. Dealership took it, said nothing is wrong… I took it back and said… you’re wrong

They came back and said it was the front right control arm, while trying to sell me all new wheels and tires… the “replaced” it and was fine up until about a week ago.

my bet is they greased some joint, charged me $500 and sent me on my way.

I will be digging in to this today and my friend shop and will let you know what we find.

never trust the dealers….
Had the same issue as you on my 17. Service tech told me that the joint wasn't greased correctly in the factory. They did replace the assembly. No issues 4 years later (knock on wood).

Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts