Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning my Sport for a couple of weeks, I began to notice a buzzy rattle sound in the interior while going over rough road surfaces. I have to admit that squeaks and rattles in cars drive me absolutely nuts, to the point of ruining the whole experience. At first it seemed like the sound was coming from the rear of the interior, but after some trial and error I was able to locate the source of the rattle which was just behind the sunroof opening. If I press my hand against the headliner just behind the sunroof, the sound goes away. I also noticed that closing the sunroof cover greatly reduced the rattle, but I can still hear it now and then even with the cover closed. I'm not going to go messing around with the headliner as I see a high probability of me screwing it up, but I am going to have the dealer look into this next time I'm in for service. I did some looking around online and it appears that the 2013+ Fusions have had a fair amount of headliner issues, so I don't know if this is a version of the same thing. Once I have it looked at I will follow up here in case this issue crops up with anyone else. It's really too bad since otherwise this car is impressively solid and rattle free on the poor road surfaces of Maine.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Just crank up the tunes...:D

in all seriousness, I have a sunroof, but haven't paid too much attention or haven't noticed it. I may try and focus on it next time it's raining.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I haven't noticed one by the sunroof, but I've noticed a couple others. Mainly the driverside door faux carbon trim and then the very front of the headliner, right where it meets the glass. Also thought I heard one in the IP/stack area, but that seemed to be a hallucination.

The driverside door one drives me nuts. I try to just drown it out with sound.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't noticed one by the sunroof, but I've noticed a couple others. Mainly the driverside door faux carbon trim and then the very front of the headliner, right where it meets the glass. Also thought I heard one in the IP/stack area, but that seemed to be a hallucination.

The driverside door one drives me nuts. I try to just drown it out with sound.
Ugh, sorry to hear that. I don't know about the faux carbon fiber trim, but I found a ton of examples online of Fusion headliners going to ****. Apparently there was a service bulletin from Ford and everything. It would be extremely disappointing if they didn't address this in the 2017 mid cycle refresh.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry to hear about rattles, they drive me nuts too. Exact reason I ordered my Fusion without a sunroof... My 2012 Focus with sunroof rattles like crazy and is my primary beef with it. Following Focus forums, everyone complaining about rattles had a sunroof, so 2 and 2 were put together.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear about rattles, they drive me nuts too. Exact reason I ordered my Fusion without a sunroof... My 2012 Focus with sunroof rattles like crazy and is my primary beef with it. Following Focus forums, everyone complaining about rattles had a sunroof, so 2 and 2 were put together.
I was seeing lot of this on the Escape forums as well. It doesn't make much sense as every car I've had for the last 15 years has had a sunroof and none of them have had any noise issues; I can't imagine Ford somehow doesn't know how to get this right. I actually expected this car to have a few issues since it was brand new model, and was from pretty much the first batch out of the factory, but interior noises are road rage material for me.

I'll probably be taking my car in for an early oil change soon so I will update this thread with the results.

·
Super Moderator
1,337 Posts
Interesting... Mine has a rattle somewhere sounding like the rear roof. Very minor and quiet rattle when hitting big bumps or if the radio plays just the right frequency when loud. And actually on that note, A buddy and I tested the stereo with the bass up just to see what it can do and something around the rear rattles like crazy, like the parcel shelf is vibrating or something. Haven't had the time to look into it really either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts