Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
My experience is same as Metroplex - No issue so far with stock lug nuts. Must be the lack of salt they use on roads in Southeast Michigan - LOL. Admit that my practice on breaking lugs loose & torqueing is the same as MP - Breaker bar to loosen & torque wrench to tighten although I also spin them off & snug them with cordless Dewalt.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You guys from “that state up north” must not be using that good Lake Erie mined salt like we have here in the Heartland! O-H! I-O!! Haha!!

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
Just got my new nuts.

They're pretty much a one for one match of the stockers, but one solid piece. The paint seems pretty tough. I dropped one on the concrete, and it barely got through to metal. I still wouldn't hit them with an impact, but it beats the hell out of the tin shell I could feel shifting around on the stock nuts. The threads inside run a lot further into the nut, too.

Attachments

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I picked up a full set of Gorilla 1 piece lugs when they were on sale, just in case... Great quality but their locking lugnuts will rust at the spline areas.

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
Be aware, all. There are a lot of warnings about using aftermarket lug nuts unless they're specifically made for OEM wheels. OEM wheels seem to have bigger holes that are designed for a larger engagement surface. OEM style lug nuts are wider, and have a bigger engagement surface than tuner lugs. Tuner lugs will work, and may hold without issue, but there are reports of tuner lugs pulling through the wheel. I found out about this concern because the brand that makes these nuts said "NOT DESIGNED FOR OEM WHEELS" on all their "tuner" nuts, which you can tell are obviously narrower than the oem style nuts.

I could definitely see how a skinny nut with a small engagement surface area torqued down to 150ft/lbs could be tough on an oem alloy wheel.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
The Gorillas are OEM style with lots of surface area. The locking lugs provided by the dealer seem a tad smaller but seem to have sufficient acorn coverage.
Gorilla makes oem style nuts, but they aren't all oem style.

This is their oem style for over $100.

This is their $50 tuner style for aftermarket wheels.

It says it has more seating surface than traditional tuner nuts, but I still don't think I'd use them. I like their oem style nuts, but 100 bones is a hefty price for some nuts.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
21 - 30 of 30 Posts