Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do the stock lug nuts look like? I've seen where people were talking about them, and since I don't get my car until this Saturday I was curious.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you can picture the physical embodiment of the worst possible way to make a lug nut...that’s what try look like.

·
Registered
938 Posts
What do the stock lug nuts look like? I've seen where people were talking about them, and since I don't get my car until this Saturday I was curious.
Are you asking what they look like before they swell up, or after? ;)

I'd crack myself up if this wasn't such a stupid problem to have. I have no idea why they chose this type of lug nuts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Steel core surrounded by an aluminum shell. They swell up in the cold after 2 years, and you won't be able to get them off without using a special removal tool (normally used for stripped lugnuts).

Ford is great when it comes to making easy things worse.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Or use a 20mm socket for a 19 mm lug nut, or in our case it's use a 22 on a 21 since they are 14mm x 1.5.

Reactions: LIMEY

·
Registered
52 Posts
Or use a 20mm socket for a 19 mm lug nut, or in our case it's use a 22 on a 21 since they are 14mm x 1.5.
Mine were so swollen, I had to use a 22.5mm socket. Pretty sure over 90% of people don't even know that existed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've never really had problems with the lugs on my car, apart from wear and tear from taking wheels off many times. Maybe I have aftermarket lugs and don't even know it lol.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
67 Posts
I replaced the stock 2 piece Ford lug nuts with chrome McGards and Gorilla locking lugs as fast as I could after buying the car.

Reactions: skypark350

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The factory 2-piece lugnuts worked fine on my 2014 SHO for over 4 years, daily driven and in the winter salt. I didn't even realize the swelling was a problem. I've been using these type of lugnuts for over 20 years even in the winter salt.

My 2017 Fusion Sport front lugs on one wheel were a bit tight for a 6-pt 21mm socket but I think it was from the Discount Tire shop using an impact gun. 13/16" might fit on some of the lugs but 21mm for sure works. I actually started off using 13/16" before I discovered they were actually 21mm lugs.

No issues on my Explorer lug nuts either, those are 3/4" 2-piece and I daily drive it in the winter. The rotors and brakes are very rusty for a 2018 that had under 12k miles at the time. Lots of underbody rust on the powdercoated parts as well. But the lugnuts were fine.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I’ve had the factory nuts go bad in as little as three months, but never had a car so equipped that didn’t need at least 3/4 of them replaced at least once during my ownership of the car. I usually drive a car (or hand it down to my sons) until it’s basically clapped out, 150-250k. I drive approx. 25-35k miles annually, so I feel like I’m constantly rotating/replacing tires, swapping winters/summers, not to mention all the times I had the wheels off to clean out mud and debris from scrap yards, or do work on mods. So I might be prejudicial in my hatred for those two-piece nuts, but when the dealership has a special tool to remove stripped factory nuts, that says something to me.

Reactions: Flew

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
And like I have said, I've used these 2 piece lugnuts for over 20+ years on various cars and never had a problem even when used in winter salt conditions. I am not sure why they are swelling and it's become a prevalent problem on Social media and forums in the past 1-2 years. I never use impact tools to tighten the lugs, I always use a torque wrench.

·
Registered
443 Posts
And like I have said, I've used these 2 piece lugnuts for over 20+ years on various cars and never had a problem even when used in winter salt conditions. I am not sure why they are swelling and it's become a prevalent problem on Social media and forums in the past 1-2 years. I never use impact tools to tighten the lugs, I always use a torque wrench.
There was a failed class action suit as well. It's a little more common than you have witnessed in your 20 + years of experience. I've had similar issues like Shawnski. Past weekly drag days have also added it's toll. I use an impact gun to remove and snug up the nuts. Always a torque wrench to bring them into spec. Even with the plastic-lined and rubber-coated sockets. You certainly don't need to have issues with these while stranded on the side of the road.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Like I said I've been on Usenet, hundreds of automotive forums, etc... for the past 20+ years and with my own vehicles daily driven in the salt, etc... and it's only been in the past 1-2 years that it has become a "serious" and "widespread" and "prevalent" problem on forums and social media. I'm not saying it is untrue, just wanted to point this out from my perspective.

I've only ever used 6 point long sockets. Most Fords were 13/16", some are 3/4" like the Taurus and Explorer, and the Fusion is 21mm. I had to buy a 6-pt 21mm for the Fusion because most long socket kits I had were 12-pt.

I never use an impact gun to break loose or tighten the lugs. I've always used a manual breaker bar to loosen them and a torque wrench to tighten. SOP for me for 20+ years on every vehicle. Only recently with my Skil Li-Ion cordless impact have I started to use it to spin off/on the lugs to save time, but never to break them loose or tighten.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Like I said I've been on Usenet, hundreds of automotive forums, etc... for the past 20+ years and with my own vehicles daily driven in the salt, etc... and it's only been in the past 1-2 years that it has become a "serious" and "widespread" and "prevalent" problem on forums and social media. I'm not saying it is untrue, just wanted to point this out from my perspective.

I've only ever used 6 point long sockets. Most Fords were 13/16", some are 3/4" like the Taurus and Explorer, and the Fusion is 21mm. I had to buy a 6-pt 21mm for the Fusion because most long socket kits I had were 12-pt.

I never use an impact gun to break loose or tighten the lugs. I've always used a manual breaker bar to loosen them and a torque wrench to tighten. SOP for me for 20+ years on every vehicle. Only recently with my Skil Li-Ion cordless impact have I started to use it to spin off/on the lugs to save time, but never to break them loose or tighten.
Fair enough. You certainly handle your nuts with extra care. Most garages or DYI are most likely using impact tools. I added a link from about four years ago just for added measure. Ford Sued Over Defective Lug Nuts in Millions of Vehicles

I found the last couple of paragraphs compelling.

·
Registered
608 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
67 Posts
Here you go.
20210424_002403.jpg

·
Registered
938 Posts
I read somewhere that the conical shape of the inside has caused some folks trouble matching up aftermarket lugs. I don't know the details but I think it has to do with the seating.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts