Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone posted this link on the FB site
2017 Ford Fusion Sport - Removable Front License Plate Bracket | eBay

I just ordered it and it said should be here on Thursday. Sadly I live in a state where the front plate is required and the plastic bracket was put on my car before I was able to pick it up. So I'm going to have to drill out the rivets on it and figure out what I'm going to do with the holes. I already got a no front plate ticket with my Camaro and it was like $100!!

Anyways I'll upload some pictures of the unit and install when I get it

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I saw it, want one but just way too much$ for what it is

·
Registered
612 Posts
I wanted to do the same but unfortunately the dealer already drill the holes in the bumper
I ended up removing the bracket and drilled 2 new mounting holes in the plate.
To keep the plate from scratching the paint I added foam weather striping to the back.

You can see in the attached pic I had to drill the holes a tad crooked, that's because the detail guys
drilled the mounting holes in the bumper crooked!
Nothing like paying a guy $12 bucks an hour to drill holes in your $37,000 car.

Not sure is legal but I doubt a cop is ever going to say anything about drilling 2 new holes in the plate.

I actually like how it turned out, I plan on tinting the windows and didn't want 2 reasons to get pulled over.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,340 Posts
Personally, my problem is that they say "No holes!!!" but way at the bottom they say "requires small holes to be drilled on the underside of your vehicle."

If I'm paying that much for a plate bracket, I don't want to drill into my bumper at all. I ended up making my own removable bracket that clamps onto the radiator support behind the lower grille for $8.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally, my problem is that they say "No holes!!!" but way at the bottom they say "requires small holes to be drilled on the underside of your vehicle."

If I'm paying that much for a plate bracket, I don't want to drill into my bumper at all. I ended up making my own removable bracket that clamps onto the radiator support behind the lower grille for $8.
I think for this one they use the existing holes and screws holding the bottom lip of the bumper on. Not 100% sure but I will find out soon

·
Super Moderator
1,340 Posts
Yeah definitely post pictures if you don't mind, and/or let us know. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
Reactions: Fozzy

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was out of town a few days and missed the package since USPS wouldn't leave it at my house. Just picked it up. Install super easy. Just unscrew 2 existing bolts under the bumper and put it on. Interesting enough the directions said that you can put it on the left or right side, BUT if you have adaptive cruise control you have to put it on the drivers side or else you will block the sensor. So that might be good news for anyone who thought this wouldn't work with ACC. Also instructions say this lowers ground clearance by 1/2". I'm waiting for my drill to charge before drilling out the old one.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man I'm PO'ed. Tried drilling out the rivets and they both started spinning so I can't get them out. And second I thought that there would only be 2 holes in the bumper but there are 4! Not cool

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I busted out my grinder and was very scared to even get started but then remembered I had a Dremel. After a few cuts and waiting to charge the tiny battery I got it off finally. Some photos to come tomorrow. Those 4 holes look ugly. The company that makes the special paint match plugs would be like $60 for 4 which is crazy. Not sure what a body shop would charge but I'm guessing $300. And then there is Ford Parts with $1000 for a new bumper LOL

·
Registered
278 Posts
Unfortunately here is what they say about the electric hide-away license plate holder:

This part is not compatible with 2017 Ford Fusion Sport Sedan 4-Door 2.7L 164Cu. In. V6 GAS DOHC Turbocharged.

Darn...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Getting a new bumper bumper installed this week due to failing paint, kind of worried that it's failing after 3,000 miles and one year of ownership. Looking forward to not having a crooked and off center plate.

Has anyone else purchased one of these? Anyone have anything else to add about them?

·
Super Moderator
1,340 Posts
Front plate looks trash.
Yes, but some of us need one on.

Plus, where I have mine it hides the stupid offset grille bit where the ACC module goes.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
They require a front plate here also.

But they can eat it because front plates look like crap.

I've never had a front plate on my cobra either in 15 years and never gotten a front plate ticket. Plenty of other tickets but never a front plate ticket.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have it, I'm on my 2nd mount. Make sure you don't leave it on in a touchless wash. The pressure is high enough to crack the welds. Also the pull pin rusts, so now I unscrew the pin to remove the plate.

I've thought about trying to make a mount that uses the tabs on the bumper frame or putting strong magnets behind the bumper and on the factory frame mount.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have it, I'm on my 2nd mount. Make sure you don't leave it on in a touchless wash. The pressure is high enough to crack the welds. Also the pull pin rusts, so now I unscrew the pin to remove the plate.

I've thought about trying to make a mount that uses the tabs on the bumper frame or putting strong magnets behind the bumper and on the factory frame mount.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Not too inspiring on a $90 plate holder. I went ahead and ordered it. Car is back at dealership for third attempt to replace my bumper. First time it was crooked as hell and you could tell from 30', they straightened it up, then I noticed they forgot to paint the cowls around the fog lights and the original part of the paint that was failing had runs/wrinkles in it. Also some overspray on the chrome of the grille. I'm asking them for a cost to just spray the chrome to color match the car. It's been a nightmare. They said the new bumper would be painted off the car then installed, but it's obvious they didn't do that unless the new bumper comes with fogs/grille installed on it from Ford.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Got my car back, bumper still isn't perfect, but I don't want them to mess with it anymore and I don't want to burn my connection at dealership.

Now for placement. I want to put the plate holder on the side with the ACC, I am assuming that's a no go, but the advertisement for the Sto N Sho, shows to plate holder on the driver's side. Is it even worth trying it there or is that just a stupid idea? Only reason I want it there is that it won't block air path to IC and I think it will hide the uneven opening for the lower grill.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1,340 Posts
I have mine right in front of where the ACC module goes to hide the offset panel thing in the grille, but I also don't have ACC. If you have it, I would avoid that area for sure.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts