Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my Steeda intake in the mail yesterday and started the install.. Yes.. started.. I guess the having to ream out the drill holes and the difficulty in fitting it is part of the experience? The stock airbox has angled intake pipes that make it FAR easier to connect the intake hoses. The Steeda box doesn't and that's posing a bit of a problem.

It may also be my lack of mechanical knowledge but fitting the trim that seals the box against the hood is difficult to say the least. I recall the AirRaid CAI I purchased for less already had that installed. Going to work on it again today and see if I can work out the fitment issues. Otherwise the stock intake is going back on.

Reactions: cockerdogs

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found part of the problem... The outer diameter of the velocity stacks are different where they connect to the vehicle tubing. One is a hair larger than 2 and 7/8 the other is a touch larger than 3 and 1/16th.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it's not "plug and play"? IIRC, the pictures showing Steeda's owner's car showed that they put a little slit where the molding makes drastic vertical turns. Check the pictures on their site.
So far my opinion is no. I know folks have had issues with MDesign but that intake was far easier to install as was my AirRaid.

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
65 Posts
I called and they're going to find out if I was sent an incorrect velocity stack. It's not intended, though. The stock tubes are the same size on both ends. The larger stack required reaming of the box (a small amount) and simply won't fit on the intake tubes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a little surprised at all this seeing that the owner has one on his Sport. Hope they get you set straight.
They're sending another stack out. Hopefully that will resolve the problem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine showed up this morning right before work. Hopefully, this isn't an issue with all of these first units.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine showed up this morning right before work. Hopefully, this isn't an issue with all of these first units.
Agreed. I hope you have an easier time than I have, so far. When you're installing the velocity stacks, I'd put in the screws closest to the bottom of the box, first.

Let us know how the fitment of the box is.

·
Banned
249 Posts
wow, this just shows the attention to detail that was put into this for the amount of money that it costs, this should not be happening.

·
Registered
263 Posts
considering Steeda's horrible track record across the forums, I'll just assume they tried to ship you their test one.
Care to elaborate? I have been buying Steeda products since 1989 and they have always taken care of me if there was a problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I suspect mine will be showing up today, but my car is still at the dealer for the dead battery issue. Every photo I see of this intake makes me think vacuum formed Kydex, some tubing and weatherstripping is all it's going to be. I hope it looks a bit more professionally built than my hand formed Kydex fan shroud I made for one of my project cars.

·
Banned
249 Posts
Care to elaborate? I have been buying Steeda products since 1989 and they have always taken care of me if there was a problem.
I'm talking about parts for the other vehicles they make outside the mustang market. Fusion community is littered with issues.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This thing has been a massive nightmare. I am ****ing pissed.

The gasket that goes on the edge of the box has taken me an hour to get halfway on. I can barely type my hands are so shot from trying to shove this **** together. I've got to be doing something wrong.
The holes drilled in the plastic for the velocity stacks are not placed correctly. I've only got 2.5 of 4 screws into one of the stacks.

For $350 this thing should have come assembled. They knew that it would take someone with some skills multiple hours to assemble and that's why they couldn't justify shipping it assembled.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This thing has been a massive nightmare. I am ****ing pissed.

The gasket that goes on the edge of the box has taken me an hour to get halfway on. I can barely type my hands are so shot from trying to shove this **** together. I've got to be doing something wrong.
The holes drilled in the plastic for the velocity stacks are not placed correctly. I've only got 2.5 of 4 screws into one of the stacks.

For $350 this thing should have come assembled. They knew that it would take someone with some skills multiple hours to assemble and that's why they couldn't justify shipping it assembled.
I have to agree with you. I don't like trashing a company but I had the same issues with the screw holes and the stripping.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Update: Assembled.

I got the back intake tube on. Then tried the front. No luck. I eventually took the back one off and then managed to get the front on. After I put the back tube on and shoved the airbox where it is supposed to go the front tube was badly twisted. I loose the hose clamp ever so slightly hoping it will just untwist itself and it came off.

The idea that you can bolt the airbox in place and then get the tubes on seems absurd to me.

Reactions: cockerdogs

·
Registered
82 Posts
Alright. Car has ferried me to dinner and back, so I'm in a much better mood.

Recap of install is... Frustrating. I've said most of it in the last few posts. But this was the most aggravating modification I've ever done. Worse than doing full exhaust with rusted bolts. Worse than doing suspension rebuilds. I figured this would be an hour project. It took four.

I think fit can best be described as extremely tight. It barely fits between the fuse box and the engine. There's no way to get the battery out now without taking out the entire CAI. I would not recommend this for anyone who is having battery issues.

Now that it's installed, it sounds good. There's definitely a louder intake noise. It's hard to hear from the cabin because the sound deadening is so good. From the outside, though, the car is borderline loud. Butt dyno is hard to read. I know that there was a modification made, so I want the car to feel faster. I'd say there isn't a whole lot of change. I am glad I persevered and didn't just throw the stock box back on. But I expected a slightly nicer product and smoother experience for the money.

I've included a fit picture and a close up of the front intake which is pretty badly twisted. I can't get it to untwist without it sliding off.

Lemme know if you've got questions or want other pictures.

Attachments

Reactions: mramx390

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
I've already bought mine and it should arrive Saturday but does anyone expect any trouble from the dealers regarding this modification? cockerdogs

·
Registered
82 Posts
I wonder why it didn't come out like this?
I think my tube would be fine (look like this) if I can get it to roll over. The two times I tried it popped off instead of turning. It's 25F outside, it was dark, and I was hungry so I accepted nearly good. I'll probably work at it again tomorrow.

If that's yours, I'm glad it worked out for you. I didn't think about cutting out the corners. Might try that as well.

Reactions: mramx390 and 1153

·
Banned
249 Posts
talk about deception. I want everyone to look at the filters on the Steeda car on the site. Not the off the car pics, but the on the car pics in the engine bay. TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT SIZED FILTERS! Shows a huge filter on the install pic but whats actually sent out is smaller. The user submitted pics a few posts below made me notice. I was like ****...why doesn't the filters fill out the area like the steeda sites. Then looked and Steeda has 2 different filters in their pics and it ships with the smaller ones.

https://www.steeda.com/fusion/steeda-fusion-twin-turbo-cold-air-kit/

1 - 20 of 80 Posts