Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running the steeda catch can? Or have any personal reviews on it? I know it’s much cheaper than the others but how does it perform?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had a Steeda. I would get about a tablespoon of oil out every 5K oil change. I switched to the Tracy Lewis catch can and now get about a cup of fluid(not oil, but a mixture of moisture, oil, etc.) out every 500 miles.

While better than nothing, if you are trying to get as much stuff out of the intake as possible, I would opt for the TL version.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a Steeda. I would get about a tablespoon of oil out every 5K oil change. I switched to the Tracy Lewis catch can and now get about a cup of fluid(not oil, but a mixture of moisture, oil, etc.) out every 500 miles.

While better than nothing, if you are trying to get as much stuff out of the intake as possible, I would opt for the TL version.
Thanks for the reply. I may do the steeda for now just to at least get something on the car. Get the better one sometime down the road. Cars got about 26k on it and I plan on doing the ptu change at 30k probably flush it out a few times

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
I have the Steeda catch can and I have had no issues at all ...

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The JLT is better than the Steeda as long as JLT isn't using the perforated air brake hose they had a few years ago. The perforated hose caused my entire garage to fill with fuel vapor smell. Once I started complaining, other JLT users on the Explorer/Taurus application chimed in and reported similar findings. The perforated air brake hose they used was not designed to carry fuel vapor/PCV vapors according to the manufacturer of the hose. The perforations allow moisture under pressure to escape in a normal air brake application. I think I saw that JLT switched to PCV/oil vapor hoses eventually. But when I did run the JLT, all it caught was clear fuel vapor, no oil. The factory oil separators built into the valve covers under the PCV valve are quite effective under vacuum. The problem is most of the oil that will pool in your intercooler and intake tract will be coming from the turbos and not the PCV system. I ran open breathers on all of the ports on my 2014 SHO and didn't see a drop of oil on those breather elements, but oil was coming out of the turbos at under 30k miles.

I push my Fusion Sport fairly hard sometimes and the throttle body is coated in oil. My dad has an identical Fusion Sport and his intake tract is bone dry. He lugs it around only for getting groceries and rarely gets on the throttle.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport AWD 2.7L V6
11 Posts
Is the steeda catch can the same as the oil separator???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts