Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
hootushead are you running E30 tune ?

·
Registered
270 Posts
hootushead are you running E30 tune ?
I’m running more like an E20/WMI tune. Even just that small extra amount of methanol makes a big difference in keeping my KR down when I’m in the low end of boost and the WMI hasn’t activated. It lets me raise the activation PSI on the WMI controller which means I go through noticeably less methanol. If I run straight 93 I immediately see my KR going up. I’ve even recently been playing with injecting a mix of %30water to %70methanol and the E20 still keeps my KR down.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Prometh has suggested a 80/20 mix with my setup , also suggest that I move the nozzle down to the intercooler outlet like you have done so I can watch the temps change as the meth turns on

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Are you see any temperature changes when it activates

·
Registered
270 Posts
Are you see any temperature changes when it activates
Yes, The temps immediately drops significantly and usually well below ambient temp. Remember I have two jets of equal size. One before the TB and one in the FMIC.
The IAT2/manifold temp climbs back up pretty quick but the CAC temp stays below ambient for awhile. I’m guessing it’s from residual methanol pooling in the FMIC. I have a drain plug in my FMIC and I’ve check to see how much methanol collects in there and it’s never more than a few drops.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
sounds like you stand on the gas like I do lol

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
KR = knock right ?

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Reactions: Hootushead

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
lol Mr Oreo what torque app gauge are you watching for KR

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Got my KR gauge working and it shows a maximum of 1.0 retard on a 1/8 mile run this morning is this normal , I am still trying to learn on the tuning side of this car .

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
You can set the gauge perimeters min and max. I have mine set min=0 and Max=5. With my 93 tune and good fuel I am seeing KR=1 at the higher rpm under full load which is optimum. 0-3 is acceptible but above 3 and there are issue. Most logs I have seen from several cars the KR is 1.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
I will be switching to a SCT tuner and E30 tune from unleashed next week , my plan is to dyno the car on the LMS 100 tune vs E30 unleashed tune with a 100% methanol mix on both tunes ... can tune vs can tune

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
LMS claims there 100 octane tune is very close to the E30 tune they offer we will see what happens ..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Are you taking any bets as to which one will be better? My bet is on unleashed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
A lot of it, I suspect, would just come down to how aggressive each tuner is with these really-high-octane tunes. But I think the E30 tune would have to be for about 94 octane, to be safe, or maybe at absolute most 96 or so, but that's probably getting pretty risky. My point is that all things being equal, I'd expect you could get more timing advance off of the pure 100 gas tune than the E30. But there might be other things involved here that I'm not seeing.

Of course pure 100 gas is just stupid expensive, and E30 would be a lot more affordable in comparison. Certainly for a daily, E30 would be much more reasonable I would think.

·
Registered
150 Posts
E85 adds evaporative charge cooling
This was interesting to me, so I did a little reading, and found this (apologies in advance for the Toyota, and I have no connection to the site whatsoever, just thought it was interesting for the technical description of what's going on):

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
There was also a MIT white paper where they used a modified GM LNF and ran different E85 mixes on port injection and direct injection to see the results. It was interesting also because I have a LNF as well!! This has been fairly widely known among tuners and the like for awhile now, at least 7 years or so.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts