Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got around to installing my Methanol kit , here are a few pics of the install , what do you think so far ?

Attachments

Reactions: mantra1 and maydk65

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looks great! Based on the pictures, it looks like to mounted the tank behind the rear passenger seat. I thought that the injection point would have been after the throttle body.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the tank is mounted behind the passenger seat for easy refilling , after many talks with the Folks at Pro Meth they did not recommend the throttle body spacer for injection point as there is not enough time to mix with the incoming air , they recommend the injection point be as close to the intercooler outlet as possible for consistant mixture and maximum time to cool the air charge with a 50 /50 mix that I run ..

Here are the settings numbers for this system :

Jet#440cc or 7.0 gph
Start Injection 7 psi
Full Injection 16 psi

On a side note the hose between the tb and intercooler pipe starts out at 2.5 inches necks down to 2 inches then flares back out to 3 inches how goofy is that ? See pic #4 for details , it was a MoFo to make the 2.5 mist-a-pipe fit where the hose is only 2 inches ….

·
Registered
841 Posts
Most people do it after the TB since it's easy to install TB spacers with port mounts. Ideally, it would be nice to have a mount built into the IC just before the IAT, so it senses the temp drop and it is the furthest from the valves and provides the most amount of time to mix in the air flow.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
716 Posts
Mine injects at the same spot, works fine. I mounted the pump under the Steeda CAI. I used the stock windshield reservoir for the meth tank as the one you used is very small. I go through 1 gallon a week of meth.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds like a lot , what size jet are you using ?

·
Registered
716 Posts
That sounds like a lot , what size jet are you using ?
Number 5 from snow performance. If i was running 93 octane I would have went with number 6. But the e50 mix already has plenty of fuel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Detroit, what PSI do you have your meth coming on at.

Also, Anyone try 100% meth? I ran that in my focus with great results.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I’m running 100% with great results. Injection starts @ 6psi and maxes @ 12psi.

But it’s worth mentioning that my car has been the exception and not the rule to tuning these engines. Torrie and I had all kinds of trouble getting knock under control with everything we tried; 91/93/E30/WMI. Not until we used a bigger nozzle (640ml/min Devils Own #7), AND mounted it before the TB, AND started injecting 100% methanol...was Torrie able to tune it like he would have liked.

On the other hand, with the 100% meth he was able to max out the timing to the point the car wouldn’t add anymore itself (it won’t add any past 15*).
I went back and put a second 100ml/min nozzle right after the FMIC to add a little extra knock protection. Torrie and I are both very happy with the results.

Attachments

·
Registered
716 Posts
Detroit, what PSI do you have your meth coming on at.

Also, Anyone try 100% meth? I ran that in my focus with great results.

Start 10psi
Full 15psi

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’m running 100% with great results. Injection starts @ 6psi and maxes @ 12psi.

But it’s worth mentioning that my car has been the exception and not the rule to tuning these engines. Torrie and I had all kinds of trouble getting knock under control with everything we tried; 91/93/E30/WMI. Not until we used a bigger nozzle (640ml/min Devils Own #7), AND mounted it before the TB, AND started injecting 100% methanol...was Torrie able to tune it like he would have liked.

On the other hand, with the 100% meth he was able to max out the timing to the point the car wouldn’t add anymore itself (it won’t add any past 15*).
I went back and put a second 100ml/min nozzle right after the FMIC to add a little extra knock protection. Torrie and I are both very happy with the results.
Scary he couldn't get knock under control without aux fuel. I think his way of adjusting timing is a tad different than other tuners.
@DetroitFS man you must have a heavy foot if you use that much at those settings lol

·
Registered
716 Posts
Scary he couldn't get knock under control without aux fuel. I think his way of adjusting timing is a tad different than other tuners.

@DetroitFS man you must have a heavy foot if you use that much at those settings lol

I average 14 mpg :). Heavy is an understatement lol.

Reactions: mantra1 and BWood21

·
Registered
278 Posts
I wouldn’t say he “couldn’t” get it under control. He just couldn’t add as much timing as he usually does to a 2.7 Ecoboost without the KR going up. I just appreciate all the extra work he went through instead of just telling me that’s all he could do for my car after the first set of tune revisions.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well got the methanol up and running what a difference in low end torque , when brake boosting I was able to lay down a good awd burn out lol , going to the track on the 28th for some real testing I will keep you updated on my results ….

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got the LMS 100 octane tune gonna try switching from the 93 tune to see what if any help it makes at the track …..

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just installed new ford plugs gapped at 30 and after a few test runs with the methanol I have a hiccup/surge on first hit of the throttle then it goes like **** lol .. I must be off on my Methanol settings ….

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I average 14 mpg :). Heavy is an understatement lol.
Is that mixed driving?

With my tune I'm averaging 20-21 mpg mixed.. On Lakeshore Drive, I am getting 40 mpg average (I found that cruising in 6th gear at 40-45 mph yields incredible fuel savings). On the freeway like I-94/696, I can see about 25-28 mpg. I haven't taken it on a cross-state trip where the highways are flatter.

My dad's identical 2017 Fusion Sport (but totally bone stock) averages 16-17 mpg. He putters that thing around and babies it. I did a few things with my tune differently from the factory though.

As a comparison, my N/A 3.5 Explorer AWD averages 18 mpg in mixed if I drive it normally with my tune, but with the factory tune, it averaged 14-16 mpg in the same conditions. With a puny 18 gal tank, I was filling way quite often with the factory tune.

Ford has absolutely no clue what they are doing these days (their stock shift schedule was totally jacked up on all 16-19 Explorers/Police Interceptors).

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I tried to use the methanol last Friday night at the drags and I couldn't seem to get the settings right , if I brake boost the car it would bog hard , then on the top end it would chug cough ect messed around with the settings did not help I think my jet size is to large #7 gonna order a smaller #6 jet and try again …..I had the AEM controller settings maxed out at 10 on the low side and 25 on the high side .. I will keep you informed on my progress....

·
Registered
278 Posts
What flow rate are you looking for? Is that #7 nozzle your running from AEM? I have several Snow and Devils Own nozzles I’m planning on selling.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts