Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled off the rear trim and the grille surround yesterday and I painted them gloss black for now. I thought the gloss black would blend well with the pillars, but I'm not sold on it.
I mainly used trim tools to release the mounting tabs on the front and the rear requires the outer tails to come off and 3 screws removed to get that trim off. The center trim the pops off with lightly prying outwards.
Pictures show the clip locations and I'll get a pic of the front after work.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Have you looked at the High Gloss Carbon Fiber vinyl wrap 3D, 4D or 5D in gray? That may give you more of an accent to the car color.

Reactions: ArthurUSCG

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'm happy how the front grille turned out and I have an idea for the rear.
DId you can or just prime paint ? How many coats?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Thanks, clearly my post was auto corrected and made no sense. But you answered it ..

Reactions: Oreo and Vert

·
Registered
868 Posts
I need to get my gloss black on for the grille surround and rear trim I think...oh and the window trim.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's looking good so far. Was it difficult to remove rear emblems and not scratch the paint?
Let your Sport sit out in the sun and then take 20-30lb fishing line to remove the emblems. Once you place the fishing line between the emblem and the foam adhesive, use a sawing action to remove it. Goo gone will remove the residual adhesive.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Let your Sport sit out in the sun and then take 20-30lb fishing line to remove the emblems. Once you place the fishing line between the emblem and the foam adhesive, use a sawing action to remove it. Goo gone will remove the residual adhesive.
The emblems on the right side must have some really strong and different adhesive. I still have a slight residue after doing my normal cleaning with goo gone. The dealership even tried to clean the spot when they put on my plates and commented that their normal stuff isn't removing it.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The emblems on the right side must have some really strong and different adhesive. I still have a slight residue after doing my normal cleaning with goo gone. The dealership even tried to clean the spot when they put on my plates and commented that their normal stuff isn't removing it.
Soak a soft rag in goo gone and let it sit there for 30 min or so and it will rub off.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was able to remove all residue with persistent use of Goo Gone applied with Bounty paper towels.

The glue layer is really thick though. I first picked as much off as I could with my fingernails before starting with the Goo Gone.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Have you guys thought about just using black plastidip on the chrome instead of paint or vinyl???? Super easy to use...goes on just like spray paint and is easily removed if needed or repaired if needed. I did this to my grill on my 2013 Fusion...turned out great!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
It depends on the look you are going for and it you care if it's permanent. Plasti dip is more of a matte black with a textured look up close. Spray paint with Gloss black is shiny

·
Registered
96 Posts
I planned to do the plastidip. I bought it when it was still cold out here but these days I am debating on it. I love the look but feel like the Crome helps this car look like a basic grocery getter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
The do make a plastidip glossifier that you can put over the matte black and it makes it shiny...also if you do it right its not textured at all...plastidip lays on nice and smooth if you put it on slowly with several coats and don't get in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used plastidip on my G8 and after year it looked faded and dull and I switched over to spray paint and never looked back. Also, it can a hassle peeling the taped of areas and not screwing up the plastidip.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was able to remove all residue with persistent use of Goo Gone applied with Bounty paper towels.

The glue layer is really thick though. I first picked as much off as I could with my fingernails before starting with the Goo Gone.
So here is what I have always done. Get a can of Lysol and spray it on a paper towel - wipe off the glue.
Don't forget to wax where you applied the Lysol. It has never caused any paint problems.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts