Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all. ive been a member on here since around May 2016 as ive been excited about the "new" gen sport since the beginning. been mostly lurking but have posted a number if times over the years. Ive never bought a newer sport because my 2010 Sport has been so much fun and unbelievably reliable at now 272,000 (original powertrain) miles that it made no sense to get rid of it. it still runs great but after ten yrs im getting ready for a new experience. Over the yrs ive test driven 3 2017s and 1 2019 Sport- im very familiar with the car. love the 19s for the black interior. used 19s are rare however! ive also wondered about the MKZ 3.0 as its easier to get a non gray interior and they have a few upgrades id like such as pano sunroof, Revel stereo, better instrament cluster. But i already feel the fuspo is plenty heavy and the MKZ is even heavier. Also ive driven a 2019 2.0 MKZ and hated the steering feel and chasis(it had adapt chasis) - not nearly as engaging as the Sport. ive never driven a 3.0- anyone out there driven the 3.0 MKZ and fuspo back to back? is that MKZ in sport mode noticeably less dynamic than a fuspo? Really appreciate this forum- been enjoying it for years and i know as much as any actual "new" fuspo owner thanks to this forum.

·
Registered
754 Posts
hey all. ive been a member on here since around May 2016 as ive been excited about the "new" gen sport since the beginning. been mostly lurking but have posted a number if times over the years. Ive never bought a newer sport because my 2010 Sport has been so much fun and unbelievably reliable at now 272,000 (original powertrain) miles that it made no sense to get rid of it. it still runs great but after ten yrs im getting ready for a new experience. Over the yrs ive test driven 3 2017s and 1 2019 Sport- im very familiar with the car. love the 19s for the black interior. used 19s are rare however! ive also wondered about the MKZ 3.0 as its easier to get a non gray interior and they have a few upgrades id like such as pano sunroof, Revel stereo, better instrament cluster. But i already feel the fuspo is plenty heavy and the MKZ is even heavier. Also ive driven a 2019 2.0 MKZ and hated the steering feel and chasis(it had adapt chasis) - not nearly as engaging as the Sport. ive never driven a 3.0- anyone out there driven the 3.0 MKZ and fuspo back to back? is that MKZ in sport mode noticeably less dynamic than a fuspo? Really appreciate this forum- been enjoying it for years and i know as much as any actual "new" fuspo owner thanks to this forum.
I haven't, but the numbers say the MKZ 3.0 can get out of its own way just fine. ;) I don't know if the ride is softer but if it is it might just come down to tires; the MKZ comes with 245s, where the FFS comes with 235s (unless someone's changed them before you bought it). But I think either one of these twin-turbo V6 cars will move, fast, and give you a very dynamic experience, even stock. Either one.

I do think the MKZ 3.0s are nice though. But I'd need an AWD version (I think there exist some that are only FWD and that's an awful lot to put into just your two front drive wheels, plus you get only a little more power than an FFS if you get just the FWD version anyway). So if you do the MKZ 3.0 you want the AWD version. Well, I would anyway. I can't speak for you. But that's what I would get if I got the MKZ.

And I've considered it. I love my car but if I could get a great-condition low-mileage MKZ 3.0 at a decent price I might just jump. But my car has this really cool feature called "paid off", and I wouldn't get that if I traded it in on an MKZ 3.0. At least not for a long time. So I'm pretty happy with what I've got.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't, but the numbers say the MKZ 3.0 can get out of its own way just fine. ;) I don't know if the ride is softer but if it is it might just come down to tires; the MKZ comes with 245s, where the FFS comes with 235s (unless someone's changed them before you bought it). But I think either one of these twin-turbo V6 cars will move, fast, and give you a very dynamic experience, even stock. Either one.

I do think the MKZ 3.0s are nice though. But I'd need an AWD version (I think there exist some that are only FWD and that's an awful lot to put into just your two front drive wheels, plus you get only a little more power than an FFS if you get just the FWD version anyway). So if you do the MKZ 3.0 you want the AWD version. Well, I would anyway. I can't speak for you. But that's what I would get if I got the MKZ.

And I've considered it. I love my car but if I could get a great-condition low-mileage MKZ 3.0 at a decent price I might just jump. But my car has this really cool feature called "paid off", and I wouldn't get that if I traded it in on an MKZ 3.0. At least not for a long time. So I'm pretty happy with what I've got.

oh i get it- my old sport has been paid off for many years! thanks for the reply- btw the 3.0 only comes AWD, there is a smaller v6 that comes in the MKZ with FWD- so many engine choices in that car! i guess ill just have to drive one, but im inclined to go Sport- i was always impressed with car. seemed to drive better (like mine) the harder you went.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hi uncletatty. I drove both back to back before I ordered and purchased my 2018 3.0T AWD MKZ back in 2018. My short list came down to the MKZ 3.0T AWD, the Continental 3.0T AWD, and the Fusion Sport. The Continental was simply bigger than what my wife and I needed/wanted.

Next...Keep in mind that all of the following is strictly my opinion, and opinions will certainly differ: The differences between the MKZ 3.0T AWD and the Fusion Sport are what would be expected for the price difference between the two cars. Besides the obvious added power of the 3.0T AWD, the MKZ is a more luxury oriented vehicle. More features/luxury features and conveniences. Quieter overall. Better ride. More solid feel. More premium interior bits and pieces.
The Fusion Sport may "feel" sportier, but I'm not so sure if that is due to actual quantifiable measurements, or the lesser amount of sound deadening/seals etc. The weight difference is not that much.

Now, all of that being said, I think the Fusion Sport is also a fantastic car. And the benefits of the MKZ come with the relatively stiff price penalty/difference between the two. So we all make our own choices.

And yes, "Sport" mode in the MKZ does appreciably stiffen up the suspension and steering, according to how you choose the suspension settings.

If I were you, I would try to drive both and decide which you like and what is best for you.

I can answer more specific questions, if you should have any.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
502 Posts
oh i get it- my old sport has been paid off for many years! thanks for the reply- btw the 3.0 only comes AWD, there is a smaller v6 that comes in the MKZ with FWD- so many engine choices in that car! i guess ill just have to drive one, but im inclined to go Sport- i was always impressed with car. seemed to drive better (like mine) the harder you went.
Hi uncletatty. Just as an FYI. The 3.0T in the MKZ was available in both FWD and AWD versions for all 4 model years it was available (2017-2020). The FWD version was de-tuned to 350 hp, while the AWD version had the full 400 hp.

Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had thought about mentioning it and refrained thus far but since you’re asking...

I wanted a 3.0 MKZ and drove one and a FuSport same day, less than a month ago. I liked the driving feel of the FuSport better and was underwhelmed with the MKZ interior luxury given what I was expecting.

But for me the dealbreaker with the MKZ was it lacked necessary headroom in back (I had to tilt my head to fit), and even in front I kept smacking my hat on the sun visor. I was disappointed and thought the FuSport would be the same, but luckily not.

YMMV so drive both if you can, and good luck w/ your search! I will say the MKZ I drove was a beautiful car.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hi uncletatty. Oh...almost forgot! If you do decide to go with an MKZ and if handling is a top priority, be sure to get an MKZ with the Dynamic Torque Vectoring System and the Sport Tuned Suspension. That will mean a 3.0T AWD with the "Drivers Package" for a 2017-2018 model, or a 3.0T AWD for the 2019-2020 models.

On 2017-2018 3.0T AWD models, the "Drivers Package" included the Dynamic Torque Vectoring System, the Sport Tuned suspension, and some other goodies. However, the Dynamic Torque Vectoring System and Sport Tuned Suspension were the main, must have goodies.

For the 2019-2020 model years, the Dynamic Torque Vectoring System and Sport Tuned Suspension became standard equipment with the 3.0T AWD engine option.

Additionally, the Dynamic Torque Vectoring System and the Sport Tuned Suspension were only available on the 3.0T AWD models (not the 3.0T FWD model) for all four years (2017-2020).

Hope those explanations are not too confusing.

Good luck.

Reactions: lyee and Blackula

·
Super Moderator
1,455 Posts
My relatives leased a 2018 MKZ 3.0T AWD w/ Driver's Package, fully loaded, and it's definitely a very nice car. I was slightly underwhelmed by how little is changed with the MKZ for the price gap tho. Of course they're the same chassis, but there are some aspects on the interior where I really feel that they should've improved upon to make up that price difference. However, things are very different on the used market if you go that route - MKZ's tend to depreciate much more early on being luxury cars so there will be less of a price gap.

The torque-vectoring AWD system is definitely more advanced, but on back roads I personally couldn't really feel any improvement in my relatives MKZ. It just feels heavier than my 401A Sport (yet I believe the MKZs are only slightly heavier). And while it's a very good car, I was happy to drive my Fusion again. To me, the Fusion just feels that little bit sharper to drive. MKZ did have a smoother ride, but not by a crazy amount.

But again, definitely try them both and see which ones you like. They're close enough to where it's really down to preference rather than a straight up winner. The panoramic roof is nice (a must-have for me if I had an MKZ) but keep in mind they do require some upkeep since the tracks stay exposed. I take an hour or two yearly on my Edge and just re-grease the tracks, nothing crazy. And the MKZ's instrument cluster can be installed with a little work too, if you're into that kind of stuff.

Let us know what you end up going with! Good luck!

Reactions: lyee and Engineer

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi uncletatty. Oh...almost forgot! If you do decide to go with an MKZ and if handling is a top priority, be sure to get an MKZ with the Dynamic Torque Vectoring System and the Sport Tuned Suspension. That will mean a 3.0T AWD with the "Drivers Package" for a 2017-2018 model, or a 3.0T AWD for the 2019-2020 models.

On 2017-2018 3.0T AWD models, the "Drivers Package" included the Dynamic Torque Vectoring System, the Sport Tuned suspension, and some other goodies. However, the Dynamic Torque Vectoring System and Sport Tuned Suspension were the main, must have goodies.

For the 2019-2020 model years, the Dynamic Torque Vectoring System and Sport Tuned Suspension became standard equipment with the 3.0T AWD engine option.

Additionally, the Dynamic Torque Vectoring System and the Sport Tuned Suspension were only available on the 3.0T AWD models (not the 3.0T FWD model) for all four years (2017-2020).

Hope those explanations are not too confusing.

Good luck.
Hi uncletatty. Just as an FYI. The 3.0T in the MKZ was available in both FWD and AWD versions for all 4 model years it was available (2017-2020). The FWD version was de-tuned to 350 hp, while the AWD version had the full 400 hp.

Good luck.
great stuff. thought i knew all the packages for the MKZ - this is great info thank you!

·
Registered
112 Posts
great stuff. thought i knew all the packages for the MKZ - this is great info thank you!
Un, I seriously sought out to unload my 2017 FFS for a MKZ. I looked & looked & just couldn't find one I liked w/AWD (IMO...definitely need AWD)....nothing wrong w/my FFS...just wanted to try the MKZ w/400 HP & AWD. I found it very tough to locate one in SE MI....keep us posted on your search.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Un, I seriously sought out to unload my 2017 FFS for a MKZ. I looked & looked & just couldn't find one I liked w/AWD (IMO...definitely need AWD)....nothing wrong w/my FFS...just wanted to try the MKZ w/400 HP & AWD. I found it very tough to locate one in SE MI....keep us posted on your search.
I did the same thing but kept coming up with dead ends because every time I managed to find one that was 3.0 AWD (which was pretty rare), the pricing ended up meaning it would cost about twice as much as my FFS. So then I have to ask myself: Is the MKZ twice the car the FFS is? And for me, the answer is "no". It's a great car, don't get me wrong, I think they're terrific. But I don't think they're twice the car an FFS is. Especially not twice a fully loaded 401a FFS. So I just can't justify it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well, if your still looking here are those available 3.0 MKZ

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
485 Posts
Say what you want about Lincolns being overpriced, but you’ve got to admit the engine cover cup holder is a feature you just won’t find on other luxury automobiles.

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Definitely. and best if luck to you. we both may have to travel to get one. i havent decided yet on my next car, but i do search quite often for 3.0 mkz's in SE Mich and agreed, although there are always a few used, they never seem to be the color/wheel combo i want with the higher trim package. i really want a dark wheel package but those mostly seem to be 2019- and they are out of my price range. and im guessing the drivers package, a must, is extremely rare. based on the posts here, and i really appreciate them, im guessing ill be happier in the Fusion. but, i need to drive an mkz to be sure. ive only ridden in a 3.0 and that was in 2016. i do remember it being powerful but the chasis and steering feel are more important to me.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I found a brand new 2020 MKZ 3.0 AWD w/ Luxury Package no moonroof, like exactly what I wanted but the price was something north of $50k-$55k after X-Plan and mil discount. That was about on-par with a 2021 Explorer ST which does a lot more and runs about the same 1/4 mile times when tuned, and has similar turbos on its 3.0, but has sh*t headlights compared to the MKZ Luxury Package. The Luxury Package only comes in black but has the really good LED headlights not found on the regular MKZ.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hi gang. There is some well intentioned but accidentally incorrect information throughout this thread, so just as an FYI for those looking at used or even old/new stock 3.0T AWD (or FWD) MKZ's: You really need to look at the different packages and options available in each model year that the 3.0T engine was available (2017-2020), since the options/packages and general availability of some items changed rather drastically, especially in the 2019-2020 model years.

For example..The "Drivers Package" and all its contents was only available for the 2017-2018 model years. That package included the Dynamic Torque Vectoring system, Sport Tuned Suspension, black/white interior leather, carbon fiber interior trim, Magnetic Painted Grille, different 19" wheels, aluminum trimmed pedals, black painted brake calipers etc. etc.
However, while the Drivers Package was discontinued after 2018, the Dynamic Torque Vectoring system and Sport Tuned Suspension became standard equipment on all 3.0T AWD models. But the "Drivers Package" itself no longer existed. And a few of the other features (Magnetic painted grill and different 19" wheels) were then available in a Magnetic Package.
Also, the Luxury Package is simply the addition of Full Premium LED Headlamps, Multi-Contour Front Seats with Active Motion and the Revel Ultima Audio System, and is not limited to only black. It does require the Elements package, which includes Heated/Cooled Front Row Seats, Heated Rear Seats and Heated Steering Wheel,
and either
the 19” Machine-Faced Alloy Wheel with Magnetic Painted Pockets...
or...
the Monochromatic Pkg (which does come in only black or white). So you can get a 2020 MKZ 3.0T AWD with the Luxury Package that is not black.

All of this information comes directly from the 2019-2020 MKZ Order Guides, which are the final word on availability.

I realize it can be very confusing without a brochure or the Order Guide in front of us, so if anyone has any questions I would be more than happy to answer them.
You can also download the PDF versions of the Order Guides on the Blue Oval Forums. However, I do think you need to register to do so.

Of course, finding one optioned the way we want in the color we want is always a problem for a discontinued model that can no longer be ordered. Like the Fusion Sport, new ones are a vanishing breed, and 2017-2018 3.0T AWD "Drivers Package" MKZ's, or equivalent 2019-2020 3.0T AWD's are probably fewer/rarer than the Fusion Sport.

Hope this information helps and good luck.

EDITED - For a little added information, typos and clarity (I hope). ;)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
So when I went to build a 2020 MKZ, the Luxury Package selected the monochromatic package. I didn't realize white was available but I never cared for white paint. But the Luxury Package is the only way to get the good LED headlights and not many if any MKZs had this package in SE MI when I checked, most had the other junk but not the good headlights. Very sneaky. The Fusion Sport LED headlights are inferior IMHO and not very safe in my experience when compared to a properly designed LED headlight.

·
Registered
502 Posts
So when I went to build a 2020 MKZ, the Luxury Package selected the monochromatic package. I didn't realize white was available but I never cared for white paint. But the Luxury Package is the only way to get the good LED headlights and not many if any MKZs had this package in SE MI when I checked, most had the other junk but not the good headlights. Very sneaky. The Fusion Sport LED headlights are inferior IMHO and not very safe in my experience when compared to a properly designed LED headlight.
Hi metroplex. Yes, it is confusing. And it got very confusing towards the end of 2020 production, due to Lincoln/Ford cutting back on feature availability on a model that was being discontinued. As paint color stock, optional feature commodities etc., all began to run out, they cut back on those optional features being available, since they do not want to be stuck short ordering paint/commodities and/or left with a boatload of unneeded parts.

It was much less confusing on the earlier models, like the 2017's and 2018, when the options were a little less "packaged" and restricted. Like you, I definitely wanted the "Luxury Package" with the Adaptive LED headlights.

However, for most of the 2020 model year, the MKZ 3.0T AWD with Luxury Package was available in essentially all exterior colors. But ordering the "Luxury Package" also required either the "Elements Package" and 19” Machine-Faced Alloy Wheel with Magnetic Painted Pockets", which could be ordered in every or almost every 2020 MKZ color available...
or...the "Luxury Package" with the "Monochrome Package". And the "Monochrome Package" was limited to black or white.

So, I guess the important bottom line is that there are 2020 3.0T AWD MKZ's out there with the Luxury Package in the other exterior colors besides black and white. Unfortunately, it is safe to assume there are not many on the Dealer lots anymore, since most stock MKZ orders were equipped with the 2.0T engine. However, they are out there. But probably more are available used than new.

Again, I know it gets confusing, so if anyone has any questions, I am happy to answer them, since I do have access to those Order Guides. plus a certain amount of personal knowledge, due to my shopping and purchase.

On a personal note...In the 2018 model year, I had actually wanted to order a Black Label with the 3.0T AWD and Drivers Package. However, the Black Label features and option packages required a moonroof, which is a preferable no-go for me.
However, I was able to factory order a fully loaded Reserve model (the top non-Black Lable trim level), with all available options and no moonroof. Exactly what I wanted in the Reserve. It did have the bonus of the 19" Magnetic wheels I liked better than the Black Label wheels, but the drawback of no upgraded Black Label interiors or Black Label perks.
Then in 2019-2020, I would not even have been able to order Reserve/Reserve I/Reserve II trim level optioned anyhwere close to the way I liked. For example, to get all the features of the Luxury Package, I would have had to accept a moon roof. Again, a preferable no-go for me.

It is somewhat analogous to the "de-contenting" of the Fusion Sport in the last two years of production. Except instead of "de-contenting" the MKZ, Lincoln combined options and features that were previously available separately, into standard features and/or option packages.

Again, hope this is not too confusing.

Good luck.

EDITED - For more information, typos and a little bit of clarity (I hope). ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts