Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a crazy question....

I am coming out of an Audi A4 Avant (wagon) S-line. Loved that car but reliability was becoming a concern. I have found that I much prefer to drive my new FuSpo in Sport mode. I am used to a stiffer ride, quicker throttle etc. Sport mode gets me closer to that feel, but it kills my MPG. I am not complaining. I love the car.

I said all that so I can ask this: Is there any way I can disable the transmission changes associated with Sport mode but keep everything else (stiffer ride, throttle response etc.)? Maybe there is a tune that could enable this?

I know, crazy but if I could get this I would just drive it in Sport mode at all times.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't know of a way to get the behavior you want, but more options in the drive modes would be a welcome addition. I think a lot of people would opt for a setting as you describe it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
In theory, you should be able to control the shifts yourself with the paddle shifters in sport mode. If you are doing it for conserving gas you would be shifting sooner than "sport mode" would want to shift, so you should be able to do that. I haven't tried though.

A tune certainly would fix this too. My shift points have been improved with a tune, but the focus wasn't on saving gas. So it certainly can be done, you just have to let them know what you want.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
This is do-able in Lincolns (or at least the MK, which is what I had for a loaner for 4 months - separate car/issue last year, long story). The instrument cluster has settings for "Suspension in D", "Suspension in S", "Performance in D"(and S), and "Steering in D" and so on.

I'd love to pull one of those gauge clusters and put it in my Sport to give it a shot and see if it'll work. The programming should be in the car, I'd think. I asked DanMc85 about this a while ago on 2GF but never got a real response as far as programming our stock gauge cluster.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The only way to get the attributes you desire is to have the car in sport mode. You can't get a tune that only affects Sport mode. Sport mode adds "modifiers" to whatever tune is loaded, stock or otherwise. However, you could get a tune specific for gas mileage, thinking of this for myself. Sport mode would still affect the transmission, but if your getting the better gas mileage in spite of it then.... You'd probably be happy?
Unleashed Tuning can and will do gas mileage tunes, not sure about LMS.
I too would like the ability to affect suspension and steering feel individually. My desire though is for highway cruising/commuting in which I would have the tighter steering from Sport mode, with softer suspension from normal mode(SE MI = horrendous roads).
If it's just the gas mileage that you don't like about Sport mode than you've got a shot to get close to your desire with a tune, I on the other hand do not, ��
I had hoped the Sport would have the options like on the Lincoln as DaMiFo mentioned. Maybe next time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
With a custom tune you can take the normal mode shift schedule and essentially clone it to retain the normal up and downshifts when in S. You will still have all of the other attributes of S in place when in that mode but it will up and downshift like normal. (Specifically in regard to OSS speed not pressure related)

·
Registered
624 Posts
With a custom tune you can take the normal mode shift schedule and essentially clone it to retain the normal up and downshifts when in S. You will still have all of the other attributes of S in place when in that mode but it will up and downshift like normal. (Specifically in regard to OSS speed not pressure related)
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info Torrie.
If you were to make Sport mode shift similar to the stock normal mode, how would this affect normal mode shifting?

·
Registered
24 Posts
No problem. It would not impact Normal mode at all.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info Torrie.
If you were to make Sport mode shift similar to the stock normal mode, how would this affect normal mode shifting?
No problem. It would not impact Normal mode at all.
I am VERY interested in this tune.

Would it impact OEM warranty?

Would it allow for other parts of "Sport" to be turned off or on?

What would it cost?

I think many of us would like to have this as the dang car is FAST in normal mode but we appreciate the sportier feel of the other 6 SPORT mode changes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Modifying your vehicle in itself doesn't make your warranty vanish. It is of course best to go back to stock prior to warranty work.

What other ‘parts’ is this in refence to?

I sell the SCT X4 with 2 custom tunes right now and free ground freight for $ 399

Engine function is symmetric in both. Sport mode is a modifier to the normal calibration in place .

Reactions: jnhalstead

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Modifying your vehicle in itself doesn't make your warranty vanish. It is of course best to go back to stock prior to warranty work.

What other ‘parts’ is this in refence to?

I sell the SCT X4 with 2 custom tunes right now and free ground freight for $ 399

Engine function is symmetric in both. Sport mode is a modifier to the normal calibration in place .
The following is lifted directly from Ford marketing brochure:

Here’s a rundown of the seven ways in which Ford Fusion V6 Sport transforms into an all-out sports sedan:

1. Handling: Increases stiffness of the continuously controlled dampers compared to the normal tuning and adds damping under spirited cornering to enhance vehicle responsiveness and minimize body motion.
  2. Powertrain sound: In-cabin noise cancellation is tuned to provide an entertaining in-cabin engine note
  3. Steering: Unique tuning for electric power-assisted steering provides clean, intuitive feel to match enhanced vehicle response
  4. Transmission: Aggressive transmission programming selects lower gears resulting in higher available torque and responsiveness. Gears are held through turns to maximize cornering performance. Downshifts with braking are rev-matched for smoothness and increased engine braking; when stepping off the accelerator, the gear is held to maximize engine braking performance
  5. Engine: Electronic throttle programming revised for responsive feel
  6. Paddle shifters: Shifters behind steering wheel become fully enabled – allowing for complete control of transmission for spirited driving
  7. Cluster: Sport mode icon appears in the cluster

I am not a technical person so my utopic scenario would be one where I could control each function with a simple "on/off". Audi offers this to a lesser degree on their newer vehicles.

Assuming this to be a very expensive proposition, I would be very happy with the ability to turn off only #3 above. The car is fast enough even in normal mode and the paddle shifters are there should I feel like directing the trans to behave more aggressively on my own. Would the SCT X4 tune allow for this? If not, could it be modified to allow for it without too much development costs?

Big question: Are there more Fusin Sport owners out there that would like to have this capability? Scale is everything for business owners like tmcphail.

Also, I would be interested at $399 if the above could be made to happen. Others???

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am VERY interested in this tune.

Would it impact OEM warranty?

Would it allow for other parts of "Sport" to be turned off or on?

What would it cost?

I think many of us would like to have this as the dang car is FAST in normal mode but we appreciate the sportier feel of the other 6 SPORT mode changes.
The warranty question has been extensively dealt with in the "tune" thread, but to summarize:
-Ford can probably tell if you have a tune, even if you return the PCM to the "standard" tune before returning the car for service because the number of on/off cycles will not match the number of miles put on. They may also be able to directly detect it but that's less likely since tuners know of their methods for this.
-Ford can void your powertrain warranty if they detect a tune. It'll depend on your dealer how badly they want to do this, since they get paid for warranty work, but they also don't want to look like patsies to Ford. If something that isn't directly related to the tune breaks, you have a reasonable court case saying that they should pay for it, BUT you'd have to go to court against Ford corporate lawyers if they deny you. A daunting task!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The warranty question has been extensively dealt with in the "tune" thread, but to summarize:
-Ford can probably tell if you have a tune, even if you return the PCM to the "standard" tune before returning the car for service because the number of on/off cycles will not match the number of miles put on. They may also be able to directly detect it but that's less likely since tuners know of their methods for this.
-Ford can void your powertrain warranty if they detect a tune. It'll depend on your dealer how badly they want to do this, since they get paid for warranty work, but they also don't want to look like patsies to Ford. If something that isn't directly related to the tune breaks, you have a reasonable court case saying that they should pay for it, BUT you'd have to go to court against Ford corporate lawyers if they deny you. A daunting task!
Interesting. I live here in SE Michigan and find myself regularly in Dearborn for business (quasi related to Ford). I good friend of mine does legal work for various Tier 1 suppliers. I will ring him up on this and see what he says.....

·
Registered
24 Posts

Here’s a rundown of the seven ways in which Ford Fusion V6 Sport transforms into an all-out sports sedan:

1. Handling: Increases stiffness of the continuously controlled dampers compared to the normal tuning and adds damping under spirited cornering to enhance vehicle responsiveness and minimize body motion.
  2. Powertrain sound: In-cabin noise cancellation is tuned to provide an entertaining in-cabin engine note
  3. Steering: Unique tuning for electric power-assisted steering provides clean, intuitive feel to match enhanced vehicle response
  4. Transmission: Aggressive transmission programming selects lower gears resulting in higher available torque and responsiveness. Gears are held through turns to maximize cornering performance. Downshifts with braking are rev-matched for smoothness and increased engine braking; when stepping off the accelerator, the gear is held to maximize engine braking performance
  6. Paddle shifters: Shifters behind steering wheel become fully enabled – allowing for complete control of transmission for spirited driving

I am not a technical person so my utopic scenario would be one where I could control each function with a simple "on/off". Audi offers this to a lesser degree on their newer vehicles.

Assuming this to be a very expensive proposition, I would be very happy with the ability to turn off only #3 above. The car is fast enough even in normal mode and the paddle shifters are there should I feel like directing the trans to behave more aggressively on my own. Would the SCT X4 tune allow for this? If not, could it be modified to allow for it without too much development costs?

Big question: Are there more Fusin Sport owners out there that would like to have this capability? Scale is everything for business owners like tmcphail.

Also, I would be interested at $399 if the above could be made to happen. Others???
Items I can adjust mode specific right now :

Transmission control
ETC / Drive by wire

Some of the other items if controlled by another module most likely will not be adjustable IE suspension or steering. If PCM controlled, it may be possible to adjust it. No one to date prior has asked me this so I’ll check.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Items I can adjust mode specific right now :

Transmission control
ETC / Drive by wire

Some of the other items if controlled by another module most likely will not be adjustable IE suspension or steering. If PCM controlled, it may be possible to adjust it. No one to date prior has asked me this so I’ll check.
I just noticed I made a mistake in my post. I want to be able to turn off or otherwise control #4 above, NOT #3. I apologize for the error.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is a degree of control based on the mode chosen in regards to trans function.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is a degree of control based on the mode chosen in regards to trans function.
Best outcome would be simply to have SPORT mode "turn on" all aspects EXCEPT the trans changes and to leave the trans as it functions in normal mode.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have my car setup relative to that so the shift lock schedule is the same as normal while in S.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As described above yes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts