Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

261 - 280 of 307 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
You may get some horsepower out of it, but nothing crazy.

I see a lot of people do a new exhaust mostly to get rid of the massive & heavy muffler tank in the rear.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: mantra1

·
Registered
49 Posts
You may get some horsepower out of it, but nothing crazy.

I see a lot of people do a new exhaust mostly to get rid of the massive & heavy muffler tank in the rear.

/Agree. I also think alot of people are getting too caught up in the horsepower gains for things like this when other factors such as efficiency and throttle response are just as important.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Once I saw how large that rear muffler was, that was the first thing to go. Muffler shop that did my exhaust mod was surprised that a muffler that large was on a car. Probably saved a few pounds in the process, which in and of itself should be good for some kind of minimal hp gain, but at least that boat anchor of a muffler is gone, and it's got a good sound now.

And I'll reiterate for those contemplating doing an axle-back with just pipes: be ready to order some mufflers to put back there, because IT WILL DRONE, regardless of what others have said...their videos may not show it, but have them do a recording at a constant rpm level for several minutes, say between 2000-2500 rpms, and then say it doesn't drone. Most of these axle backs sound decent when accelerating, but hold them at a constant rpm level, and not so much...

Reactions: slice56 and mantra1

·
Registered
231 Posts
Once I saw how large that rear muffler was, that was the first thing to go. Muffler shop that did my exhaust mod was surprised that a muffler that large was on a car. Probably saved a few pounds in the process, which in and of itself should be good for some kind of minimal hp gain, but at least that boat anchor of a muffler is gone, and it's got a good sound now.

And I'll reiterate for those contemplating doing an axle-back with just pipes: be ready to order some mufflers to put back there, because IT WILL DRONE, regardless of what others have said...their videos may not show it, but have them do a recording at a constant rpm level for several minutes, say between 2000-2500 rpms, and then say it doesn't drone. Most of these axle backs sound decent when accelerating, but hold them at a constant rpm level, and not so much...

I will post an honest review once I get mine installed. I'm coming from a 2005 Mustang GT with stage 2 cams, LT headers, off road H pipe, and flows. That car was loud!!! And it did drone a lot on the highway but it didn't bother me much. I can't imagine this car being louder than it was. But I shall see.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Regarding the exhaust, the big question (to me anyway) is does it increase performance at all?? Or is it just a sound thing? Is the stock exhaust a restriction?

Has anyone that has modified their exhaust done any before and after performance testing? 0-60, etc. I would love to see if there are any performance benefits.
Modern day exhausts don't do much if anything for power, they are sound and weight. Borla makes a kit for the F150 and I asked them what power they gained with it and was told 5 hp which is negligible...I can see it being a weight savings.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Modern day exhausts don't do much if anything for power, they are sound and weight. Borla makes a kit for the F150 and I asked them what power they gained with it and was told 5 hp which is negligible...I can see it being a weight savings.
LOL, yeah and if ever asked to prove 5chp...who would ever really do that...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Have you watched the video on YouTube

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I know there was a video of the webasto sema sport floating online also. That has the mrt system

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes, but it doesn?t show an interior sound or cruising at highway speeds
Here's a video I took from the inside after I got my exhaust modified. I replaced the front 2-2 resonator with a Flowmaster Super 44, and replaced the rear muffler with a pair of round Magnaflows. IMO, any axleback system that doesn't have mufflers is going to drone when held at a constant rpm level, mine did before I added the Magnaflows. The level of drone will depend on the rpms, but IT WILL DRONE without any mufflers back there. You'll have to excuse the video / sound quality, it was taken with my smart phone with the phone sitting in the front of the center console.

There's a video on YouTube that showed a Sport with the MRT axleback, and IIRC, it showed it accelerating away. Sounded decent, which you would expect, but nothing from inside and at a constant rpm level.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I slapped on the MRT exhaust. At idle, it sounds amazing but driving around, the drone is annoying. Its honestly to much. I must say, if your looking to save your old muffler to revert to stock, get the MRT and slap on an aftermarket resonator. Im going to weld up this week, the Magnaflow Tru-x resonator. Other than the MRT might not be worth your money if your looking to scrap your old muffler. Just pick out some tips, get a nice resonator and have a shop bend up some new tubes for the axel back.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I slapped on the MRT exhaust. At idle, it sounds amazing but driving around, the drone is annoying. Its honestly to much. I must say, if your looking to save your old muffler to revert to stock, get the MRT and slap on an aftermarket resonator. Im going to weld up this week, the Magnaflow Tru-x resonator. Other than the MRT might not be worth your money if your looking to scrap your old muffler. Just pick out some tips, get a nice resonator and have a shop bend up some new tubes for the axel back.
When Mandrel bending is not an option what is the better way to get the rear piping bent??? Crush bent or wrinkle bent??

·
Registered
333 Posts
When Mandrel bending is not an option what is the better way to get the rear piping bent??? Crush bent or wrinkle bent??
Since these bends are so far away from the engine, I would imagine it doesn't matter a whole lot. Whatever way your local muffler shop uses...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
Haven’t been on the forum in a while and I don’t see any recent discussions about the Borla system. Pretty pricey for an axle back. I found it for just under a 1k but buying directly from them it’s just over 1.1k
Part # 11942

https://www.borla.com/products/fusion_sport_axleback_exhaust_stype_part__11942.html
Bit of a sore spot... Some guy from a dealer that was working with Borla to develop the exhaust passed along a bunch of incorrect info to us on the Sport Facebook group (which was passed along to us here). Said it was a cat-back exhaust, bolt on, all for $900, etc. When people went to order they saw it was just an axle-back and all the info we week given was very wrong. I don't think a single person bought one since it was released a few months ago. And all the posts we're since deleted.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Bit of a sore spot... Some guy from a dealer that was working with Borla to develop the exhaust passed along a bunch of incorrect info to us on the Sport Facebook group (which was passed along to us here). Said it was a cat-back exhaust, bolt on, all for $900, etc. When people went to order they saw it was just an axle-back and all the info we week given was very wrong. I don't think a single person bought one since it was released a few months ago. And all the posts we're since deleted.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Well actually I was the only person that did try to purchase it. Waited for a couple months for official announcement and did send my money in. However Borla missed multiple shipping dates, even after assurance from managers, productions managers etc they continued to not ship my product. Finally after the final it will ship on Nov. X and you will get a tracking notice again it didn't ship and I canceled my order. I was dealing with both James of Vista Ford and Borla directly and I can tell you James was just caught in the middle of Borla's inability to actually produce the product when promised. I requested a refund after waiting 2.5-3 months for the product I purchased. I voiced my concerns to Borla and included David Borla in all emails but alas they missed the final guarantied shipping date, didn't contact me to let me know it would be another day or so and afterwords sent an email stating they were ready to ship the product but I canceled the order. I have to say that getting at final email that kinda of made it look like I was the cause of the final no ship and then telling me that there was to be a unnamed rebate to the purchase once it shipped was the final straw.

It is a shame as I was really looking forward to a Borla exhaust but after this experience I will not purchase or recommend a Borla exhaust due to their passive customer server practices. To many missed ship dates and broken promises.

The systems are supposed to be in stock and ship able now but I wouldn't recommend buying one.

If you can wait I know of a couple systems that are being developed, CP-e is one of them confirmed by their R&D group, AR Designs has built a custom one off and can possibly reproduce it just to name a few.

Patience is the key here and Borla gave me plenty of practice waiting for them to deliver on their promises. Not gonna make a rant video but I am no longer a Borla fan if you can't tell... LOL

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
Well actually I was the only person that did try to purchase it. Waited for a couple months for official announcement and did send my money in. However Borla missed multiple shipping dates, even after assurance from managers, productions managers etc they continued to not ship my product.
Oh I didn't know you were going to! That's terrible. I know James was caught in the middle, it's just still frustrating. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the did initially intend to offer a cat-back, too, but changed it last minute.

I was very interested in one as well, but was planning to wait a year. I'm glad I didn't get too excited over it, especially now hearing tour issues. Regardless, even before your post, they kind of turned me off from their products. And after your issues, I definitely understand your dislike of the company, haha.

261 - 280 of 307 Posts