Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I’d share my recent spark plug replacement experience because it surprised me.
I was getting a misfire on #4 so I replaced the plug and it went away. Decided to replace the rest as well. After I set the gap on the new plugs (NGK6510) to .028” I checked what the gap was on the old plugs (also NGK6510).
Since I installed them in January at .028” they had all opened up to .032-.035”
I’ve heard Ecoboost engines are hard on plugs and I run my car hard but this surprised me. Maybe this is normal.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
From what I have read this is common with NGK plugs. Ran my Factory plugs for 84K no issues...

·
Registered
658 Posts
When changing these, how hard is it to get to the back 3? I've heard the back 3 are pretty tough to change.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Oreo, Did you gap yours in the beginning or are were they gaped from factory @ .30?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When changing these, how hard is it to get to the back 3? I've heard the back 3 are pretty tough to change.
The back 3 do suck more than the front but after you do it the first time it goes pretty quick. You have to disconnect the rear turbo intake tube from the filter box and recirculating valve and romove the bolt securing it to the manifold. Unplug as much of the harness running over the top of the engine as you can will make it easier.
it’s just a lot of shifting cables and hoses around to get to the plugs. A deep well 8mm socket is handy for the coil pack bolts.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
When I first got my car I pulled a plug to confirm the gap and plug data but they were all @ 0.030 from factory. Never had an issue with the 93 custom tune at that gap. When I replaced them with a new set of SP542's I gapped them to 0.028.

The backs take a little more time but not really that bad. If course I have had quite a bit of time under the hood and wrote the EPP hot and cold pipe install instructions so I knew what I was getting into. You can do it in under an hour. Do yourself a favor and grab one of these. It does make it easier.

Reactions: lyee and troywojo

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
From what I have read this is common with NGK plugs. Ran my Factory plugs for 84K no issues...
NGK makes the OEM factory plugs. They look like the Laser Iridium. I just pulled one of mine at 17k miles and it looked great, gap was 0.028"

Stock Heat range is 7

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I can barely read that text, but it looks like the factory plugs are Laser Iridium NGK like I wrote above. There's a patch of platinum or other material on the ground electrode for better wear. Most iridium plugs don't have that patch (commonly found on Double Platinum plugs in the past) on the ground electrode so that wears away, increasing the gap. I once ran copper plugs on my 4.6 2V Crown Vic and within 12k miles half the center copper electrode was worn out. LOL.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Heat range is the same on both. Pre-gap and Insulator Height is different. Grounding Electrode is different height

·
Registered
386 Posts
I changed out the spark plugs today. I did notice some differences between the stock plugs and the new ones. Notice the green paint on the stock plugs and the red on the new plugs. Also, the part numbers on the plugs themselves were a digit difference Stock - CYFS092YPT; New Plug - CYFS092YPT3. These plugs were gapped .028
right out of the box. If any one knows what the color difference and extra digit mean, please chime in.
20201010_185015.jpg 20201010_144141.jpg 20201010_144113.jpg

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hi maydk.The usual reason for a different color on the factory installed plugs is for service/warranty purposes, to make it easy to identify them as the plugs that were installed at the factory.

Can't tell you why the part # is different.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2017 FFS UP FMIC, Steeda CAI, Vellossa BM, GFB DV, and Unleashed Tuning.
3 Posts
I changed out the spark plugs today. I did notice some differences between the stock plugs and the new ones. Notice the green paint on the stock plugs and the red on the new plugs. Also, the part numbers on the plugs themselves were a digit difference Stock - CYFS092YPT; New Plug - CYFS092YPT3. These plugs were gapped .028
right out of the box. If any one knows what the color difference and extra digit mean, please chime in.
View attachment 27119 View attachment 27120 View attachment 27121

·
Registered
3 Posts
Those plugs fit 2017 Fusion Sport? Where did you order from to get .028 gap?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I ordered them from here: Spark Plugs. The website says they are gapped at .031, but the ones I received were .028.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ordered them from here: Spark Plugs. The website says they are gapped at .031, but the ones I received were .028.
Thank you for the response. I ended up ordering them through Torrie at Unleashed. He said that they were gapped at .028. I just wasn't sure if these were the right plugs because some sites say they won't fit my car. Obviously they do if you installed them and Torrie recommended them also. Are you satisfied with those plugs?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Have 2000 miles on them. Since installing them I have also installed the UP FMIC, BBK TB and an updated Tune from Torrie. So far, I have had no problems with them.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
BTW all of my original OEM factory plugs were 0.028" gap. I checked with 2 different sets/styles of feeler gauges and cross-checked with calibrated calipers.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thank you for the response. I ended up ordering them through Torrie at Unleashed. He said that they were gapped at .028. I just wasn't sure if these were the right plugs because some sites say they won't fit my car. Obviously they do if you installed them and Torrie recommended them also. Are you satisfied with those plugs?
When I ordered NGK plugs from Unleashed they arrived with .40 gap. Not a typo. Point-four-oh.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts