Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I’d share my recent spark plug replacement experience because it surprised me.
I was getting a misfire on #4 so I replaced the plug and it went away. Decided to replace the rest as well. After I set the gap on the new plugs (NGK6510) to .028” I checked what the gap was on the old plugs (also NGK6510).
Since I installed them in January at .028” they had all opened up to .032-.035”
I’ve heard Ecoboost engines are hard on plugs and I run my car hard but this surprised me. Maybe this is normal.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
From what I have read this is common with NGK plugs. Ran my Factory plugs for 84K no issues...

·
Registered
150 Posts
When changing these, how hard is it to get to the back 3? I've heard the back 3 are pretty tough to change.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Oreo, Did you gap yours in the beginning or are were they gaped from factory @ .30?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When changing these, how hard is it to get to the back 3? I've heard the back 3 are pretty tough to change.
The back 3 do suck more than the front but after you do it the first time it goes pretty quick. You have to disconnect the rear turbo intake tube from the filter box and recirculating valve and romove the bolt securing it to the manifold. Unplug as much of the harness running over the top of the engine as you can will make it easier.
it’s just a lot of shifting cables and hoses around to get to the plugs. A deep well 8mm socket is handy for the coil pack bolts.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
When I first got my car I pulled a plug to confirm the gap and plug data but they were all @ 0.030 from factory. Never had an issue with the 93 custom tune at that gap. When I replaced them with a new set of SP542's I gapped them to 0.028.

The backs take a little more time but not really that bad. If course I have had quite a bit of time under the hood and wrote the EPP hot and cold pipe install instructions so I knew what I was getting into. You can do it in under an hour. Do yourself a favor and grab one of these. It does make it easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts