Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not purchased the 2019 Fusion Sport yet, when I took a test drive the radio did not sound as clear as the standard radio in my Maxima. The radio in my Maxima is not the Bose audio system just the standard radio. What does everyone think about the Sony 12 speaker audio system in the Fusion Sport? I play most of my music with a thumb drive in the USB port. Can the Sony radio be adjusted in the settings to make it sound good?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I will say that there is not a ton of room for improvement beyond what you've probably heard already. The thumb drive in the USB port with FLAC or lossless files is the best way to go. I can't even stand listening to over the air radio in comparison. You can make some minor adjustments to the bass and treble in the settings. There's also a 'surround' or stereo option, I've found it depends on the song you have to which one is better. I mostly leave it on stereo.
Sony goes more into depth on their marketing of their acoustic software here:
Like I've learned from some of my $400-500 headphones, everything has it's own unique sound signature. I don't think of one pair inferior to another, just that they are different. I was worried the first few weeks I owned the car it would never grow on me, but I've been thoroughly enjoying the sound every time I get into the car over the past two years and haven't thought twice about it since.

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
I agree with Detroit, I love the Sony system in mine. It's very good for a factory system. Not the best, but still very good. The only odd thing I've noticed from mine at least (compared to my '14 Edge w/ Sony) is that it sounds clear but has weak lows at lower volume, but when you really crank it it sounds fantastic and the lows really start hitting. But I chalk that up to how everything has it's own way of producing sound, also as Detroit mentioned. I also either use USB with files at 320 or FLAC, or Spotify Premium (playlists downloaded at max qualty) and use Android Auto (audio goes over USB so no Bluetooth compression) and have never hear it distort when using those two sources.

The FM radio, and especially Sirius radio does sound terrible if you're used to high quality. So if that's what you listened to initially, try using your own music and see how much better it is.

Reactions: ArthurUSCG

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think my old Fusion had more sound, but the 2019 has clearer sound. I really like it at lower volume, gets distorted and tinny at higher volumns.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I've noticed that low quality sources sound worse in the Fusion then what I expected them to sound like.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Detroit,

I went to the dealership again today. I listened to my music through the thumb drive and made some minor adjustments. The Sony system sounded alright. I did try the surround and stereo options and turned the volume up to see if I could hear the difference, I could not and the salesman said he could not hear any difference between the two. I can find my folders through the voice prompts on my Maxima but you can't search the Sport by folders.

I tried to make the purchase but just could not close the gap. The manager gave me a fair price on my trade-in but really did not move on the price for the Fusion Sport. I wanted $34,000 for the Sport and they had just a bit over $35,000. My figures were a bit off as they were giving about a $3750 rebate from Ford they taxed before they trade-in. I thought they would take the price with their discount and rebate and then subtract that number from the trade and tax that amount. But he said that they look at the rebate of $3750 as my money so they tax it. I think if they wrote me check for that amount then they can tax it as then it is my money but Ford is giving that $3750 as a rebate and knocking it off the price of the car. I guess I am not thinking about correctly.
Just have to see what happens as the Sports have been on the lot for a while now, you would think Ford would want to move them and offer more incentives.

·
Registered
823 Posts
@dtd you should hear a difference between stereo and surround. What format and bit rate do you have your music encoded at? Even if it was mono and not stereo, the additional front center speaker should fill in the sound stage and pull the mid and upper frequencies forward.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ArthurUSCG,

I could not hear the difference between stereo and surround even when I turned up the volume, I suppose different songs may sound different. I have MP3 and WMA. Don't know the bit rate.

·
Registered
823 Posts
ArthurUSCG,

I could not hear the difference between stereo and surround even when I turned up the volume, I suppose different songs may sound different. I have MP3 and WMA. Don't know the bit rate.
I noticed the Sony system doesn't upscale the bit rate very well, so if they are low bit rate to get more on the thumb stick, that might be the issue.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Detroit,

I went and bought a 2019 Fusion Sport yesterday. Much different than my Maxima. Playing music with thumb drive is not as nice as the Maxima or I don't know how to do it. You can choose the bottom choice in new search and that is something like explore drive? All my folders come up and play fine except if you want to take the thumb drive out and put it in the next day you cannot find where you left off. On the Maxima you would have folder 13 and then numbered and named songs, you could just say the folder name and go to the track you wanted. It seems the order in which the tracks are listed in the Sport change order. It is kind of a mess. If you leave the thumb drive in the USB port all the time or when you want to start a new folder everything is fine. The other thing is the USB player will not always give you the name of the artist, it may say various artists. I did rip some CD's and I will have to see if it is the WMA files this happens to, the rest are MP3's from Amazon. In the Maxima the artist was always listed.

I think they kind of skimped on the Sports screen were the speedometer and the tachometer are. Everything is very small and squished together.

I asked the salesman if there was any break-in and he said no. The owners manual says for the first 300 miles you need to break in the tires, the vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics. Avoid driving to fast during the first 1,000 miles. Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine. Also do not tow for the first 1,000 miles.
I am not sure what they mean by change up through the gears early? Do not labor the engine sounds more like don't if you have a stick shift don't drive to slow for any one gear? I would also say it may not be a good idea to push it in sport mode for the first 1,000 miles.

Being so different from the Nissan's I had for 9 years takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, post some pictures in the new member thread if you haven't already.

I can't speak to the unplugging/plugging back in issue as I have a dedicated USB drive for the car that I always leave in there. I only take it out when I need to load up more music from the PC. I've had good luck using these dual function sandisk (can plug into your usb-c phone also), you may want to just spend the $15-20 and buy a dedicated one for your car and duplicate over your files. https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-128GB-Ultra-Drive-Type-C/dp/B01EZ0X3L8/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=sandisk+usb&qid=1563149429&rnid=2941120011&s=pc&sr=1-18&th=1

I don't have any of the voice activated options on my car, so I don't know if you can use voice to navigate through any of the sync stuff. I browse through the folders manually using the explore folders at the bottom and not something I'd recommend doing while driving. If you browse to a specific folder you can keep the player on a loop of just those songs in the subfolder. If you have folders with both subfolders and individual music files, the individual music files get placed at the top of the list before anything in the subfolders. It should all be alphabetical otherwise.

As for the music files having the wrong information or 'various artists', this is the mp3 tag on the music file that you will have to modify on your PC. I use a program called MP3Tag.
https://www.mp3tag.de/en/
You'll want to change artist and album artist to make those show up correctly.

As for your engine, what I think they mean by that is to vary the engine RPM instead of just taking a 30 minute trip on the freeway at 2,000 rpm in the same gear the whole time. This doesn't mean your engine is going to end up a lemon if you take a short trip or floor it once in a while, I did plenty of both in the first 1,000 miles of my car and I've run the fastest stock time so far. Once the car is nice and warmed up and the oils and temps are up, I wouldn't be worried about winding out a gear here or there. It is mostly precautionary. They might mean don't downshift with the paddles to engine-brake/slow down the car. I don't know if that is a huge problem but I could see avoiding doing that, as it isn't something I do regularly anyway.

Also you might find this helpful too.

·
Registered
211 Posts
...On the Maxima you would have folder 13 and then numbered and named songs, you could just say the folder name and go to the track you wanted. It seems the order in which the tracks are listed in the Sport change order. It is kind of a mess. If you leave the thumb drive in the USB port all the time or when you want to start a new folder everything is fine. The other thing is the USB player will not always give you the name of the artist, it may say various artists. I did rip some CD's and I will have to see if it is the WMA files this happens to, the rest are MP3's from Amazon. In the Maxima the artist was always listed.
Hi @dtd, I use the program mp3tag from here https://www.mp3tag.de/en/ to edit my music files' metadata, then copy the music files to my Sport's thumb drive. The screen displays the album and track information, and you can also use mp3tag to add/edit album covers. I use voice control to choose albums, songs and playlists, and I think genres too.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Detroit,

I went and bought a 2019 Fusion Sport yesterday. Much different than my Maxima. Playing music with thumb drive is not as nice as the Maxima or I don't know how to do it. You can choose the bottom choice in new search and that is something like explore drive? All my folders come up and play fine except if you want to take the thumb drive out and put it in the next day you cannot find where you left off. On the Maxima you would have folder 13 and then numbered and named songs, you could just say the folder name and go to the track you wanted. It seems the order in which the tracks are listed in the Sport change order. It is kind of a mess. If you leave the thumb drive in the USB port all the time or when you want to start a new folder everything is fine. The other thing is the USB player will not always give you the name of the artist, it may say various artists. I did rip some CD's and I will have to see if it is the WMA files this happens to, the rest are MP3's from Amazon. In the Maxima the artist was always listed.

I think they kind of skimped on the Sports screen were the speedometer and the tachometer are. Everything is very small and squished together.

I asked the salesman if there was any break-in and he said no. The owners manual says for the first 300 miles you need to break in the tires, the vehicle may exhibit some unusual driving characteristics. Avoid driving to fast during the first 1,000 miles. Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine. Also do not tow for the first 1,000 miles.

I am not sure what they mean by change up through the gears early? Do not labor the engine sounds more like don't if you have a stick shift don't drive to slow for any one gear? I would also say it may not be a good idea to push it in sport mode for the first 1,000 miles.

Being so different from the Nissan's I had for 9 years takes some getting used to.
I have no clue about the music since I uploaded everything to Google play music and stream directivity from there.

But for the break in, I think they are saying to don't do top speed runs or do a cross country trip with the cruise control set at the same speed the entire time.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Surround sounds better with more accurate center sound stage as if it coming from the windshield. Bass and treble can be boosted to liking but keeping it more flat gives a more accurate sound to creator. By leaving it flat at 0 may take your ears a week to adjust to non boosted settings. With that said I have mine set to 2 bass and 3 treble mid always at 0 and of course surround on. If you are a die hard purest audiophile then 0 across the board and surround great settings for flac or any lossless files.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Surround sounds better with more accurate center sound stage as if it coming from the windshield. Bass and treble can be boosted to liking but keeping it more flat gives a more accurate sound to creator. By leaving it flat at 0 may take your ears a week to adjust to non boosted settings. With that said I have mine set to 2 bass and 3 treble mid always at 0 and of course surround on. If you are a die hard purest audiophile then 0 across the board and surround great settings for flac or any lossless files.
Can't argue with any of this, just a quick note though:

As we age, our high-frequency sensitivity drops noticeably over the years until it levels off at a certain point. It varies by individual but there's a fairly consistent tendency to drop the highs as we age. So what is "flat" really? :cool:

And I say this as someone who can appreciate good audio (grew up listening to a Pioneer SX-1980) so I understand what you're saying, but I just am not sure flat is always the same to everyone. I've gotten to the point where I think the goal is to have it sound good for the listener, however they get there. For me that's pretty flat settings but maybe it's not for someone else.

The other thing is a car isn't usually the best place to get great audio anyway. The acoustics are sort of subpar for that in a car usually (separately from the audio system, I mean). Now our cars are quieter than most, so that's probably less true of the FFS than most cars, but still. However, I do still think the Sony system in our Sports sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't argue with any of this, just a quick note though:

As we age, our high-frequency sensitivity drops noticeably over the years until it levels off at a certain point. It varies by individual but there's a fairly consistent tendency to drop the highs as we age. So what is "flat" really? :cool:

And I say this as someone who can appreciate good audio (grew up listening to a Pioneer SX-1980) so I understand what you're saying, but I just am not sure flat is always the same to everyone. I've gotten to the point where I think the goal is to have it sound good for the listener, however they get there. For me that's pretty flat settings but maybe it's not for someone else.

The other thing is a car isn't usually the best place to get great audio anyway. The acoustics are sort of subpar for that in a car usually (separately from the audio system, I mean). Now our cars are quieter than most, so that's probably less true of the FFS than most cars, but still. However, I do still think the Sony system in our Sports sounds pretty good.
Now that I have had my car over a year I like the Sony Sound System. But I only play music that is on my my thumb drive it sounds much better than satellite. I really like the fact that it remembers where I left off after I take the drive out, I just take it out as the thumb drive is electronic equipment and it can get very cold and very hot in a car. But it finds the performers if the songs are on an album made by the performers. If you have an album with different groups all you get is various for the name of the group. My Maxima would play by who the performers were no matter what. If you had all different songs by different groups it would still have the correct group never various. But it would not remember where you left off if you took the drive out. It seems all players are different on how they handle this. I also like the fact that the USB is under the radio in the front and not between the seats.Everyone has there own preference. Sometimes it takes a little bit for the GPS to load and if you put the drive in before it loads it seems like the thumb drive is not recognized and won't play, you may have to wait a bit before you put the drive in. But it is a nice system for me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Now that I have had my car over a year I like the Sony Sound System. But I only play music that is on my my thumb drive it sounds much better than satellite. I really like the fact that it remembers where I left off after I take the drive out, I just take it out as the thumb drive is electronic equipment and it can get very cold and very hot in a car. But it finds the performers if the songs are on an album made by the performers. If you have an album with different groups all you get is various for the name of the group. My Maxima would play by who the performers were no matter what. If you had all different songs by different groups it would still have the correct group never various. But it would not remember where you left off if you took the drive out. It seems all players are different on how they handle this. I also like the fact that the USB is under the radio in the front and not between the seats.Everyone has there own preference. Sometimes it takes a little bit for the GPS to load and if you put the drive in before it loads it seems like the thumb drive is not recognized and won't play, you may have to wait a bit before you put the drive in. But it is a nice system for me.
This all has to do with the tagging. If you set up the tagging, it'll organize them based on that, assuming you're using a format where you can use tagging (as is typical with, for example, MP3 files).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts