Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
$2700 to get the same brakes we have (little better pad maybe)
and that is on top of the $5600, 401a package...........

"The $2695 ST Performance Brake package adds 13.6-inch front brake rotors, performance brake pads,
extra cooling for the radiator, and 21-inch wheels with summer performance tires"

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-ford-edge-st-price

Don't even get front Brembos. Even a Silverado has a Brembo factory upgrade :rolleyes:

Brembo and GM Team Up on Performance Front Brake Kit/Upgrade for Chevrolet, GMC and Cadillac SUVs and Trucks | Brembo - Official Website

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
I posted on the FB group about this. What a huge disappointment!!! Shame on you ford performance team. Red painted floating calipers??? Ugh

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was under the impression that we had the 13.6" rotors on our cars and the Edge has slightly smaller rotors and calipers?

Thanks for the clarification Eddie!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I was under the impression that we had the 13.6" rotors on our cars and the Edge has slightly smaller rotors and calipers?

Thanks for the clarification Eddie!
We share the same exact 345mm rotors and two piston floating calipers as the 2015+ edge sport (not sure about other trims) up front. The rears are different story

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is from the dealer training book. Rear gets the same size as the front for the edge st.
So maybe some hope for the rears. Same small caliper I assume?
Maybe they at least went back to a std cooled rotor in front, since more
NVH seems to be acceptable in SUV's and trucks. Does ford even have any car
with more than a single piston rear caliper, besides the GT350?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Old thread but the 2020 Explorer ST has two brake/wheel upgrade packages:
Street Pack $1000
Track Pack (or whatever, High performance pack) $1600

After much research, the difference between the 2 is the track pack ships separate brake pads and an instruction sheet for your dealer to flash the ABS module with different programming. RockAuto lists the Track Pack pads as being about $150 total (front and rear). I couldn't believe it. I asked around to make sure and Ford even forgot to ship the pads for a lot of the early orders/builds. Some dealers even refused to acknowledge this until Ford released a bulletin.

So I'm not surprised Ford likes to play the marketing game with ST and the various brake packages. I'd be more impressed if they started to put Brembos on everything and not mess around with these crappy 2-piston sliding calipers in the front.

The only thing that matters from my perspective is how well the brakes handle salty winters. Will they completely rust over like my 2018 Explorer rear brakes at 12k miles? Or will they be rust-free for over 100k miles like my girlfriend's 2015 Malbu LTZ?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Rockauto now has the pictures of the edge rotors and they are the normal back side venting. Woot woot. Hopefully they are interchangeable with ours.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rockauto now has the pictures of the edge rotors and they are the normal back side venting. Woot woot. Hopefully they are interchangeable with ours.

Interesting. Do they list the supposed upgraded pads? I like the EBC reds, but they are crazy money.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The Explorer ST's performance brakes are p/n:
Front Rotors: BRRF402
Front Pads: BRF1882
Rear Rotors: BRRF403
Rear Pads: BRF1877

Edge ST:
Front Rotors: BRRF362
Front Pads: BRF1860
Rear Rotors: BRRF301
Rear Pads: [Finding conflicting part numbers for the rear - anyone feel free to post if you have it]

However, I can tell everyon from first-hand experience, the fronts of an Edge do NOT fit our rotors. The backing plate of the pad is identical, however the clips that load into the brake pistons are way too large to fit in our caliper's pistons. Continental brakes worked. Edge pads worked in the back, where Continental pads had different 'nubs' on the back plates but otherwise were identical.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Any reason not to run Akebono pads front and rear? I can understand using something different for the track, but for everyday spirited driving, Akebono seems to last forever.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Edge ST:
Rear Pads: [Finding conflicting part numbers for the rear - anyone feel free to post if you have it]

However, I can tell everyon from first-hand experience, the fronts of an Edge do NOT fit our rotors. The backing plate of the pad is identical, however the clips that load into the brake pistons are way too large to fit in our caliper's pistons. Continental brakes worked. Edge pads worked in the back, where Continental pads had different 'nubs' on the back plates but otherwise were identical.
The EBC reds were "way too large" also. But they did fit after some bending.
Would have to see in person if they really wouldn't work.

·
Registered
814 Posts

Edge ST:

For some reason Ford created the D18181 brake pad physical spec for the Fusion. The only difference between the D18181 and the more common D1818 is the rose clip size.

The top pad is an unmodified D1818, the middle is the D1818 with the clip bent to match the factory size D18181 in the bottom picture.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
For some reason Ford created the D18181 brake pad physical spec for the Fusion. The only difference between the D18181 and the more common D1818 is the rose clip size.

The top pad is an unmodified D1818, the middle is the D1818 with the clip bent to match the factory size D18181 in the bottom picture.
Thanks for posting that! I couldn't find my pictures of it! Good info tho - when I did my testing with my EBC Yellow pads I didn't want to mess with modifying them. I bought 3 sets to see which would fit and intended to return those that didn't.

But yeah I thought it was weird they went through the effort to do that. The rear pads were the same thing, just 2 nubs were in a different spot... Gotta love Ford.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts