Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought wheels and tires for winter yet? I've always had good luck with online ordering, no tax free shipping and huge choices, but they don't list the Sport yet and said i'd have to try a set before ordering.

·
Registered
183 Posts
TireRack.com already shows 2017 Fusion Sport as one of the choices. It looks like you can go down all the way to 16" wheels for winter, if you wanted to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do you have the all season or the summer tires? I ask because in the 5+ years I've had a Ford AWD car with all season tires on it I've had zero need/interest in winter tires. Fords traction control system coupled with AWD and all season tires let's me drive in the crappy Michigan weather as if it were dry (for the most part - driving on icy roads it's a different story and no tires, traction control or AWD system will make that perfect).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Unfortunately, AWD does nothing to help you stop. I have all season tires on my cars, but still use dedicated winter tires during west Michigan winters. The difference is very noticeable, in my experience.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I also use tire rack, but I am concerned if the 16" will actually fit.

I really wish that they had the same lug pattern as my 2010, cause then I would already have a set for winter. But I will be buying some after the car comes in before winter hits.

·
Registered
150 Posts
cvap I have a set of tire rack rims and snows from my 2016 titanium that I plant to put on my 17 Sport. I checked with Tirerack to confirm they would fit and they will. The only thing they mentioned is the TPM sensors are different for 17 because they transmit individual pressure values for each tire.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TireRack.com already shows 2017 Fusion Sport as one of the choices. It looks like you can go down all the way to 16" wheels for winter, if you wanted to.
That sounds great. I happen to have a set of 16s with studded Hankook I-Pikes but the od is 1.27" larger than sport stock tires. I'll have to try em out. They don't look like they're gonna fit on the front just because of the big brakes.
Discount Direct told me I could use 16s if it was a platinum but had no data on the Sport

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome, I'm gonna try the 16s tomorrow morning. I notice Tire Rack doesn't have Nokians. Does anyone have a preference on Tire Racks choices for studdable?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nokian is great. I ended up getting rims for wife's suv from tirerack, but got the nokian tires from a local tire shop.

From what tirerack sell, as far as studdable winter tires go, i've had good experience with general altimax arctic, but i run them unstudded.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, looking at those brake's on the sport those front rotors looks like a 16 inch rim Haha. I would see 18's being a tight fit but you never know until you try!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very curious to hear if 16s actually fit. I see tire rack sells steel rims in 17s and i'm contemplating going with those w/winter tires. I'm cheap and don't want to spend a ton of money on winter rims and also think black steel rims on my Magnetic sport will actually look cool.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Very curious to hear if 16s actually fit. I see tire rack sells steel rims in 17s and i'm contemplating going with those w/winter tires. I'm cheap and don't want to spend a ton of money on winter rims and also think black steel rims on my Magnetic sport will actually look cool.
Just FYI, tire rack has a set of 17s that are cheaper than their steels. MSW Type 25. They look pretty solid, too. $69 vs. $72 for the steels.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Do you have the all season or the summer tires? I ask because in the 5+ years I've had a Ford AWD car with all season tires on it I've had zero need/interest in winter tires. Fords traction control system coupled with AWD and all season tires let's me drive in the crappy Michigan weather as if it were dry (for the most part - driving on icy roads it's a different story and no tires, traction control or AWD system will make that perfect).
While I agree you can get by with all seasons most of the time I think this article sums up nicely the reasoning for running two different sets of tires. I was shocked the first year I had winter tires and the difference they made. I always run performance Summers/Winters and dread the in between.

Rubber Matters: Tires Test - Automobile Magazine

I also use tire rack, but I am concerned if the 16" will actually fit.

I really wish that they had the same lug pattern as my 2010, cause then I would already have a set for winter. But I will be buying some after the car comes in before winter hits.
I will be very surprised if we can get anything less then an 18 with these brakes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Cost. Both for the tires and the wheels. You also want a taller narrower tire for better snow traction.
Plus, smaller rims and taller tire sidewalls means less likelihood of rim damage on some nasty winter potholes.

Yes, the Sport has that whole pothole avoidance technology, but I don't yet know how effective it really is. :)

Winter tire selection in size 235/40/19 isn't all that great either, high price aside.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Awesome, I'm gonna try the 16s tomorrow morning. I notice Tire Rack doesn't have Nokians. Does anyone have a preference on Tire Racks choices for studdable?
Its after tomorrow morning... we want updates!!!

1 - 20 of 321 Posts