Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I wonder if I am imagining it, but I may have some kind of problem with wheel balance or alignment. There is a very slight vibration in the steering wheel at nearly all speeds, and it is slightly more prominent at a couple of speed points.

At first I had the "prominent" vibrations at about 40 MPH and 70 MPH. I took it to the dealer and told them this. They rebalanced and rotated the tires. Now the vibrations are at 43 and 75 MPH.

It's quite subtle, but the 43 MPH vibration is quite noticeable when cold. Usually. The problem is that it is not always obvious.

However yesterday I had to drive my 19 year old VW Passat and I noticed how vibration-free the steering felt. So I suspect my Fusion might have an issue.

But I have questions...
Could it be more feedback from the road/wheels due to the "sport" suspension?
I have never had 19" wheels @ 40 PSI before -- maybe they just are less forgiving?
Is the steering drive-by-wire? If so, how is the road/wheel feedback done?
The car does not pull in any particular direction, so I assume alignment is OK?
How much should I bug my dealer about this?

How much vibration do you feel in your steering wheel?

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Turn your lane assist off... LOL

I have no vibration in my steering wheel. Sounds like a wheel balance issue.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Now i will say mine is much more random and its very hard to pick a certain speed, so may be alittle different then yours.but! My car feels "uneasy" all the time. Ive finally narrowed it down to one of 2 things. My goodyear allseason tires suck bad! Or (and i think this is it) the continuous dampening suspension has a hard time on certain roads. Im a mechanic, i deal with all kinds of complaints.. sorry "customer concerns" and am well versed in vibration diagnosis. And this fusion makes no **** sense.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
552 Posts
Mine has the Goodyear All Seasons, and I like them. No vibrations at any speed. It has about 4300 miles and no problems with the tires or tire balance.

You might want to take it to a Goodyear dealer and have them check the tires out. It could be a minor defect in one or more of your tires. For me, that would be the next step...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turn your lane assist off... LOL
Lane Keeping cannot be turned off. :mad: Another peeve of mine. It can be set to "Alert" or "Aid" or "Both". How hard can it be to give the option to turn it off?

I know you were joking, but to be clear, I have set it to "Aid" which does not vibrate the steering.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car feels "uneasy" all the time.
Well my car certainly does not track as nicely as my previous cars which are FWD. FWD cars tend to have "Toe in" alignment which give straight line stability. My understanding is that for AWD the Toe alignment must be close to zero. But it should not feel "uneasy".

(Fair warning: I am not a mechanic and I read these things on the interwebs.)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Lane Keeping cannot be turned off. :mad: Another peeve of mine. It can be set to "Alert" or "Aid" or "Both". How hard can it be to give the option to turn it off?

I know you were joking, but to be clear, I have set it to "Aid" which does not vibrate the steering.
You cannot turn off the features that protect you from yourself. Its the future!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Well my car certainly does not track as nicely as my previous cars which are FWD. FWD cars tend to have "Toe in" alignment which give straight line stability. My understanding is that for AWD the Toe alignment must be close to zero. But it should not feel "uneasy".

(Fair warning: I am not a mechanic and I read these things on the interwebs.)
Mine isnt the tracking. I feel like there are way to many vibrations in the chassis. Sometimes its steering wheel, sometimes in butt i feel it...... its random.

·
Registered
106 Posts

There's a button the left column stick. Click that and Lane keeping is disabled/enabled.

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I called up the dealer service department and explained the situation. They will look at it again next week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys,

Registered just to reply to this (I've been bouncing between here and the Edge forum for months).

My new Edge Sport (3k miles) has been exhibiting the same behavior. I had the wheels/tires Road Force balanced by a performance shop within the first thousand miles as the dealerships were giving me the run around - no help. I had them rebalanced at 1500 - no help (and they balance to 0). The issue is it's very random, between 45 and 85 mph, comes and goes and sometimes feels like you have a serious flat spot. I can drive the same stretch of road and the same lane, and 2 out of 5 days a week it's smooth.

There are several other posts about this, both on this site and the Edge one. Theres been some comments about drive axles being replaced on certain vehicles and fixing the issue (which could make sense, if there CV joints weren't completely freely moving and say happened to get the slightest bit stuck at an angle).

The Edge is my 23rd vehicle in the last decade, and while I've had my share of tires need balancing (which were easy to solve), this is a frustrating issue. Lane keep assist is always off in my vehicle.

I'm speaking to some other Fusion Sport owners (not on this site) and we are trying to rig up some type of setup to measure (and identify) the vibrations.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm speaking to some other Fusion Sport owners (not on this site) and we are trying to rig up some type of setup to measure (and identify) the vibrations.
Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Good luck!

I had weird random vibrations in wheel/chassy. They were pretty much rectified by a 4 wheel road force balance by dealer.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They road forced balanced the first time I took it in.
This time they checked for "secondary vibrations".
They found one tire out of spec for some parameter.
They have ordered me a new tire and will have it replaced.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update:
Today I received a new tire.
The vibrations are gone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts