Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have just been spoiled by my last car, but the a/c in my FS seems to really lag. I tried to get a feel for timing and was wondering if others are getting the same results, and if so, do you consider it a problem?

I started the car, immediately hit MAX on the a/c as I started timing. It took about 10 seconds for the fan to start blowing reasonably well, about 17 seconds to get up to max with cooling.

On hot summer days in Georgia (and they are getting there already), getting in a hot car that has been parked outside all day and waiting 10 seconds for the a/c to start blowing seems like an eternity.

I have already resorted to remote start....so that may be my solution.

Is this normal??

·
Registered
206 Posts
The AC system in my Sport doesn't seem to be as effective as the one on my (former) 14 Fusion Ti. The blower doesn't speed up as much in auto and even after 10 minutes of normal city driving and 20 minutes on the highway set to low it still feels in the mid to upper 60's on an upper 70 degree day.

I haven't noticed much about the heat side of things, although I thought it seemed to take a little longer to really warm up the air when after starting the car, although that could be my imagination.

I am a little disappointed in the cooled seats. Sometimes it seems I get basically nothing, other times I get a little from the back and flow through the bottom, yet other times from the bottom only. The cooling ability certainly hasn't wowed me, but I guess it's better than nothing....

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've noticed that if you have it on "auto", it will wait until the temperature reaches your desired selection. Ex: In the winter, there won't be any air coming out at all until the car gets somewhat hot.

May be the same thing for the AC?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've noticed that if you have it on "auto", it will wait until the temperature reaches your desired selection. Ex: In the winter, there won't be any air coming out at all until the car gets somewhat hot.

May be the same thing for the AC?
You're correct. Newer cars on Auto have a lot of A.I. and sensors built in. In the Winter, it will not blow freezing until the air gets to a reasonable temp. In the summer it will try not to blow hot air until it gets to a reasonable cooler temp.

Also, I noticed in "non sport mode" the RPM's stay considerably low, under 2k RPM most of the time. Because of this, your A/C will definitely take longer to get to desired temp. The engine belt which speed is tied to the RPM is also tied to A/C Condensor. This is spinning at too slow, takes it longer to be effective.

Possible fix? Turn on sport mode after your engine warms up a little. This will keep the RPM's a bit higher, which is tied to the A/C Condenser. Not saying beat the crap out of your car within the first couple minutes, but logically it should help.

Edit: This is also the same reason most A/C units get to a good temp on the highway, because you're usually between 2-3k RPM at this point constantly.

Reactions: Fozzy and 1153

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input...glad it's not just my imagination.

So far it seems to cool well after the initial cool down, but we haven't reached the mid 90's or even triple digits yet.

As far as heating...I've only had it 2 months and, of course, we don't get much of a winter here so I don't anticipate a problem there.

Seems counterintuitive to me that we have to "compromise" due to the latest technology.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Now that I've tested this with warmer weather. It's odd... However nothing alarming.

I turned on Auto 68 degrees today, even after car was running for about 20 mins. It was warm out. Started blowing out warm air, then after 10 seconds it immediately turned really cold, instantaneously.

Will play around with it more

·
Registered
626 Posts
I remote started my car this morning from inside the house and poked my head into the garage and popped the garage door open. It was high 80's yesterday so
still warm in the garage.
Car ran for a few minutes, when I hopped in the seat heater had been on, car registered 81 degrees.
That was a bit unpleasant.
I had turned off the HVAC in the display, guess I'll turn the seats off as well if it
can't tell the difference between above 70 degrees and below.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that we've already had some mid 90's days this does seem to be unsatisfactory. Just as an fyi....my 2017 Tacoma AC works just fine.

When I go in for my first would change I'll talk to the dealer about it. However, if its just a poor design I'll just have to live with it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It hit 90 yesterday so I turned on my air for the first time I truly needed it. It does take mine 10-12 seconds before the air starts moving quickly. After about 30 seconds the air was very cold and very strong. It's not close to my 09 Ranger, but that thing even until the end had ridiculously powerful air. I'd say the FFS air is mediocre at best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts