Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I had the front wheels off to do the motor mounts on my 1990 Mustang Lx, I discovered one of my 16" Cobra R replica wheels has some major pothole damage that left me amazed it was still holding air.

I've been planning to do a 5 lug disk brake conversion, but that's one of those projects thats can't really be done a little bit at a time, so it's been on hold. Well, with the damage to that rim, I decided now is the time since I have to get wheels anyway. While I'm at it, I figure I'll try to get some of the other goodies on there that I've been collecting to hold all my shelves down.

I found some 17x8 Cobra wheels with super fresh rubber on fb for exactly what the tires alone cost new, plus a pair of spares (6 wheels with 4 new tires and 2 bald tires for $680). Full sn95 brake kit from power stop, 94-95 spindles, hubs, fox length disk axles, sn95 v6 master cylinder, and new brake line. Also a new (used) speedo, 130 amp alternator with upgraded 4ga power/ground (stock is 75), stock 190 degree t-stat, and door weather stripping. I got a fender roller, too.

No progress pics yet, but I have the front fox spindles off, and the sn95 ball joints installed, waiting for the new spindles. I've been incredibly busy lately, but needless to say, I'm quite excited to see this get done. It's been a long time coming.

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sounds like a fun project! Keep us posted - always learn something no matter what the car :)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
What a deal on the wheels & tires!! Nice score! Can’t wait to see some progress pics!

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Black LMS 93V6, GFB Diverter, K&N panel, 165* thermo Ultimate Perf FMI
38 Posts
One does not "settle" for a Fox my friend! Good luck with the project!

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a brake!
No lines hooked up, but I got one corner done enough to mount a wheel for a photo op.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

I'm still not 100% sure what wheels these are. I'm thinking they are refurbished and chrome plated 99-01 Cobra wheels, which are normally satin silver from the factory, or they are aftermarket from the Ford Racing catalog. The GT premium wheels of the same style, but polished finish have a different part number, and I can't seem to find a factory chrome option.

I discovered my two spare wheels are in fact the polished finish, so those are GT wheels with the GT part number, but the four chromies have the same part number as the satin silver wheels I've seen. Weird.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I just upgraded mine to the BAER 6 piston 14" front and 4 piston 12" rears. Still cleared my 18x9/18x10 Bullitt's.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just upgraded mine to the BAER 6 piston 14" front and 4 piston 12" rears. Still cleared my 18x9/18x10 Bullitt's.
I bet that stops ok.

What master cylinder/booster are you using?

Mine are regular ol' refurb sn95 single pistons with 11" rotors, but the red powder coat basically makes them like six piston 16" brembos.

Speaking of brembos, my next brake upgrade will be Cadillac 4 piston fronts with 12" rotors. The only reason I went stock is because this was a semi-urgent job.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I bet that stops ok.

What master cylinder/booster are you using?

Mine are regular ol' refurb sn95 single pistons with 11" rotors, but the red powder coat basically makes them like six piston 16" brembos.

Speaking of brembos, my next brake upgrade will be Cadillac 4 piston fronts with 12" rotors. The only reason I went stock is because this was a semi-urgent job.
I've been running the same 86 SVO aluminum master with an 85 Lincoln hydroboost for a decade and a half now.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I've been running the same 86 SVO aluminum master with an 85 Lincoln hydroboost for a decade and a half now.
That SVO MC is the shiznit. I use it with a 93 F350 booster on my FSB rock crawler. Stops pretty decent
on 43" stickies.

Are you using the electric hydroboost that came in the MkVII's? Always wanted to try and get one of them working,
but settled for regular HB on my 70/79 Broncos and my blown 331 fox LTD.

·
Registered
748 Posts
That SVO MC is the shiznit. I use it with a 93 F350 booster on my FSB rock crawler. Stops pretty decent
on 43" stickies.

Are you using the electric hydroboost that came in the MkVII's? Always wanted to try and get one of them working,
but settled for regular HB on my 70/79 Broncos and my blown 331 fox LTD.
They are not electric. The one I use is the non ABS version and Hydroboost is powered off the power steering pump. Otherwise it wouldn't be "Hydro"boost. I've never dealt with any electric boost booster.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
They are not electric. The one I use is the non ABS version and Hydroboost is powered off the power steering pump. Otherwise it wouldn't be "Hydro"boost. I've never dealt with any electric boost booster.
The MK VII one was "hydroboost", it was just a small electric motor and pump that created the hydraulic pressure
instead of PS. It did have ABS in that mess too.

One of the new broncos, 2.7 one's maybe, has pure electric boost brakes now.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The MK VII one was "hydroboost", it was just a small electric motor and pump that created the hydraulic pressure
instead of PS. It did have ABS in that mess too.

One of the new broncos, 2.7 one's maybe, has pure electric boost brakes now.
That's the abs module. That was the only electronic part to it. It's still hydrualic and not electric. You can only swap the non abs version over to make it work. Unless you're trying to add abs to the system as well.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm using a sn95 (99 iirc) v6 mc (1" bore, dual outlet) with the stock booster. It's all put back together; at the shop for an alignment. Haven't had a chance to test it thoroughly since the toe had me squealing the entire mile to the shop, but I suspect I still have some air in the lines.

FYI, I'm not impressed by the speed bleeders.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
That's the abs module. That was the only electronic part to it. It's still hydrualic and not electric. You can only swap the non abs version over to make it work. Unless you're trying to add abs to the system as well.
I had 3 or 4 MK VII's back in the day. Most for parts cars to steal the 5.0 HO's, which were the same as the mustang 225 HP,
but most didn't know, so the MK VII's were way cheaper.

On 90-92 Linc MkVII's that came with ABS, it was electrically driven hydroboost. It had no lines going to the PS pump.
Was only a 2 year monstrosity that Ford tried.

This is a 90 that had it.

The amount of wiring that went to that thing was insane. Even the resvr cap had 4 or 5 wires going to it.
Pics from that E-bay one showing small electric motor and small hydr pump (and accumulator and obvisouly ABS stuff).
Notice there is no hydraulc fittings like most hydroboosts have.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It's all back together, and it's soooooo much better. Took me a couple tries to bleed the lines properly, but the brakes actually work now! Also, I don't know if its the new front geometry or just the fact that the tires are new, but it feels like it handles a little better, too. Like it's more predictable, and less.... I dunno... disheveled. The brakes, though... it's so nice to be able to stop.

I still have the stock booster, and it feels pretty ok to me. It certainly takes more pedal pressure than my Tacoma did which bounced your face off the steering wheel as soon as you thought about slowing down, but it's not what I would consider excessive. I think I'm pretty happy with it. I will probably replace the rear center soft line at some point to see if that helps firm up the pedal a bit more, but it's not a high priority.

I'll get some pics up soon, and maybe even a little video action. If you're lucky, I might rev it up a bit.

Reactions: OX1

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It dawned on me why it handles better. The new spindles pushed the track width out a bit, which made the new wheels (factory ford wheels) sit just as wide as the old wheels, despite a pretty significant difference in wheel offset. The old wheels had +15mm offset to push them out quite a bit from the factory track width, but that had a negative side affect which caused the car to track pretty bad. Now that the front has stock wheel offset again, it doesn't try to pull me toward every deviation in the road surface.

Reactions: Shawnski
1 - 16 of 16 Posts