Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
For those who are interested, this single assembly has both horns and use a single power connector. Can anyone confirm that the 2019 has a connector on the driver's side for the missing horn? If not I'm getting this one and replace the high tone horn.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well looks as if the earlier Fusions, 2013, had both horns on the driver's side. This is from a video of someone showing how to remove the front bumper cover from a '13 model. Notice both horns in the picture.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Well looks as if the earlier Fusions, 2013, had both horns on the driver's side. This is from a video of someone showing how to remove the front bumper cover from a '13 model. Notice both horns in the picture. View attachment 28045
Thanks for posting all the interesting horn info @dbsimms63 !

I don't know why I thought there was one on each side, on the cars before they decontented the lower-frequency horn. I never thought about them maybe both being on the same side.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks for posting all the interesting horn info @dbsimms63 !

I don't know why I thought there was one on each side, on the cars before they decontented the lower-frequency horn. I never thought about them maybe both being on the same side.
Actually on the'17 and '18's they are on opposite sides, high tone in passenger side and low on the driver's.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have the missing low tone and the combo set to try and add them to my '19. If my car should have the power pigtail on the divers side I'll use the single horn, if not I'll replace the passenger side with the combo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So does anyone have an update on the dual-note horn upgrade? I’ve got a ‘20 Fusion Titanium with the cheap sounding de-contented one-note Focus horn. Terrible! I was hoping the 2013-2016 part number (one piece both horns) shown above was plug and play, but haven’t seen a post. Thanks I’m advance for the help! I was thinking of having the dealer pull the bumper cover off and do the replacement and just pay the labor myself... (smirk)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
So does anyone have an update on the dual-note horn upgrade? I’ve got a ‘20 Fusion Titanium with the cheap sounding de-contented one-note Focus horn. Terrible! I was hoping the 2013-2016 part number (one piece both horns) shown above was plug and play, but haven’t seen a post. Thanks I’m advance for the help! I was thinking of having the dealer pull the bumper cover off and do the replacement and just pay the labor myself... (smirk)
Sorry I don't have an answer to your question offhand, but if it's not plug and play you could always strip the ends and use wire nuts or crimps or something probably. Just keep in mind it's a safety device and make sure that connection is solid. I'd probably solder it even, myself, if there wasn't a direct plug and play fit, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 had the wiring on the passenger side (no horn) and the three holes so the horn bracket can be mounted. I read that the low was on the drivers side and the high note was on the passenger side so I ordered and installed a high note horn. Sounds great although i'm not sure if I have one of each or 2 high note horns??? access by removing the bottom panel - no need to take the bumper cover off. Although you do have to reach into and better have good manual dexterity.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
My 2019 had the wiring on the passenger side (no horn) and the three holes so the horn bracket can be mounted. I read that the low was on the drivers side and the high note was on the passenger side so I ordered and installed a high note horn. Sounds great although i'm not sure if I have one of each or 2 high note horns??? access by removing the bottom panel - no need to take the bumper cover off. Although you do have to reach into and better have good manual dexterity.
Good job! That's actually good to know because we have another Fusion (not an FFS) that has only the single horn. Just comparing the two, I am almost certain the 19 and later only have the high pitch horn, and they got rid of the low pitch horn. I read there was some research that said the high pitch horn is less intimidating, and modern buyers don't want their car to be intimidating. I believe all of that is probably true. So I think the 19 and later only have the higher pitch horn. It's really good to know it can be accessed from underneath without removing the bumper cover though! If you can share details or pics that would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Sport (Ruby Red)
58 Posts
Have been watching this thread as I have a 2019 too. According to a couple Ford online parts places, the high note is on the right and low note on the left. Whether the 2019 and 2020 still used the low note on the left side and not the high I can't confirm. If somebody can confirm which one the 2019 has as standard it would be appreciated. Glad to hear the connector is still present for the right horn.

High Note Horn
Part Number:
HG9Z-13801-F
Options: Right Front, Right, Right Outer
Other Names: Horn, Horn Assembly
Replaces: HG9Z-13801-D
Description: Continental. Right. Outer-front. MKZ. High Tone. 2017-20, 3.0L.

Low Note Horn
Part Number:
HG9Z-13832-D
Options: Left Front, Left, Left Outer
Other Names: Horn, Horn Assembly - Low Pitch
Description: Continental. Left. Outer-front. Fusion. Low Tone. 2017-20, 3.0L.

·
Registered
2019 Sport (Ruby Red)
58 Posts
Found a video on Youtube from Nick the car guy titled "How to replace the high note horn on a 2017 ford fusion " where he is replacing the right high note horn. He shows both horns with the bumper removed. He also says the high note is on the right side and low note on the left side. And they are definitely different as they are mirror images of each other, so easy to identify and probably not interchangeable from side to side. Nick is basically installing it from the bottom side so taking the bottom cover should give enough access, just as JD Sox said.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Not hard, there are two horns one on each side of the cooling.

·
Registered
2019 Sport (Ruby Red)
58 Posts
Found out a piece of information that muddy the waters on the high/low horn implementation. My dad has a 2018 Sport with a build date of 06/2018 and I have a 2019 Sport with a build date of 10/2018. After doing a little test, I discovered that the 2018 only has one horn, not two, and it is a low note mounted on the driver's side. My 2019 also only has one horn, but it is a high note also mounted on the driver's side. So either all 2018 models only had one horn, or they made a production change late in the model year to eliminate the high note horn on the passenger side. Even stranger is the high note driver's side horn on the 2019. Parts books do not show a high note horn for the driver's side. And if you look at pictures of the horns, they are essentially mirror images of each other, so that the passenger and driver's side horns are not directly interchangeable. When forum member JD Sox added a high note horn to the passenger side, I suspect they added a 2nd identical tone horn, the reason no real difference in tone was noticed. Just thought I'd add to the confusion.

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
332 Posts
Found out a piece of information that muddy the waters on the high/low horn implementation. My dad has a 2018 Sport with a build date of 06/2018 and I have a 2019 Sport with a build date of 10/2018. After doing a little test, I discovered that the 2018 only has one horn, not two, and it is a low note mounted on the driver's side. My 2019 also only has one horn, but it is a high note also mounted on the driver's side. So either all 2018 models only had one horn, or they made a production change late in the model year to eliminate the high note horn on the passenger side. Even stranger is the high note driver's side horn on the 2019. Parts books do not show a high note horn for the driver's side. And if you look at pictures of the horns, they are essentially mirror images of each other, so that the passenger and driver's side horns are not directly interchangeable. When forum member JD Sox added a high note horn to the passenger side, I suspect they added a 2nd identical tone horn, the reason no real difference in tone was noticed. Just thought I'd add to the confusion.
Well I guess we'll see what I have then as I just purchased the Low Note Horn for the drivers side (along with the bolt and nuts). My build date is 05/19 one of the later ones to be built.

·
Registered
2019 Sport (Ruby Red)
58 Posts
Well I guess we'll see what I have then as I just purchased the Low Note Horn for the drivers side (along with the bolt and nuts). My build date is 05/19 one of the later ones to be built.
It sure sounded like the high note was on the driver's side of the 2019. Had somebody press the horn while I stood in front. Heard sound on the driver's side but nothing on the passenger. Definitely a higher tone than on the 2018. Let us know what you find out.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts