Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else's horn sound "off"? From new it didn't sound like my '17. I'm guessing that there is only one horn and the other got decontented. I would like to buy some earlier Fusion horns on eBay but I can't even see them in my car. Sounds like they are in front of the driver's side wheel but you can't see them. Has any one been into that area?

·
Registered
482 Posts
You have to pull the tire, then pull loose the splash shield at the front. Pull it back and you can see them in behind the head light.

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
Correct - that's another thing that was removed n '19+. It sounds terrible. We have the same cheap-sounding single horn on our '19 Edge.

The 17's and most likely 18's have a horn on each side behind the bumper, just below and behind the metal crash bumper, I believe they're actually attached to the crash bar as well. Passenger side is right in front of the washer bottle. They're definitely buried in there.

So, not sure if they left the harness for the second horn (wiring was unchanged on the Edge's, so it's a possibility), but even if they didn't it's the same connector so some models have both horns together - just get one of those.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
902 Posts
Correct - that's another thing that was removed n '19+. It sounds terrible. We have the same cheap-sounding single horn on our '19 Edge.

The 17's and most likely 18's have a horn on each side behind the bumper, just below and behind the metal crash bumper, I believe they're actually attached to the crash bar as well. Passenger side is right in front of the washer bottle. They're definitely buried in there.

So, not sure if they left the harness for the second horn (wiring was unchanged on the Edge's, so it's a possibility), but even if they didn't it's the same connector so some models have both horns together - just get one of those.
Yes the 18s (at least some of them, including mine) have both horns and sound great. But they definitely removed the second horn (the lower-frequency horn) in the later models (19 and up I think).

So the 19s, and the 20 Fusions (there were no FFSes that year but all 20 Fusions as far as I know) had it removed, and yes, they do sound terrible.

I read somewhere that it was partially cost savings but also that the pre-2019 dual-horn setup sounded too "aggressive" and that many people wanted a "friendlier" horn sound. It's one of the first things my wife commented on about her 20 Fusion, is that her horn sounds really pathetic. Just one more reason I got my 2018 FFS.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hi @dbsimms63 as far as I'm aware there is no model difference for the horns, just a production year difference. So I think any pre-2019 units have the more powerful dual horns. If someone has looking for a Fusion and wants the stronger horn, any pre-2019 unit should work, as far as I know. But there are some very strong aftermarket horns available, so even someone with a 2019 or 2020 Fusion could add a strong (aftermarket) horn.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Do you know if it's the low tone horn that's missing from the '19?
Yep, sure is. That's the one they took out. From what I understand of it, their market research told them that people don't like the lower-pitched, stronger horn sounds because they're too aggressive and threatening in some people's opinions, and as a rule people want to seem friendly so they made the horns higher-pitched so they sound weaker. It still is audible but it's in no way intimidating.

Personally, I much prefer the older, stronger horn sound. So I'm glad I got my '18. :cool:

·
Registered
201 Posts
So on your '18 are both horns in the same location or different? I found a low torn horn on eBay and want to get it and put it on my'19. I can't stand the whiney, single tone high pitched horns.

·
Super Moderator
1,506 Posts
There is one horn on each side, behind the crash bar.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have to pull the tire, then pull loose the splash shield at the front. Pull it back and you can see them in behind the head light.
I finally got time to dig into this. I took the driver's side fender liner completely out and even with a flashlight and mirror, I couldn't see any horn.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I sucks that you can't simply access them from underneath without the hassle of removing the bumper cover.
I completely agree! That's what stopped me from upgrading the horn in my wife's '20 Fusion. Because if you look up what's involved in removing the bumper cover, it's like.....23 bolts or something. It's a pretty big deal. Plus I don't have a place to do that kind of work anyway.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I completely agree! That's what stopped me from upgrading the horn in my wife's '20 Fusion. Because if you look up what's involved in removing the bumper cover, it's like.....23 bolts or something. It's a pretty big deal. Plus I don't have a place to do that kind of work anyway.
It normally takes me 15-20 minutes without rushing to remove the bumper cover.
I always lay it down on a sleeping bag.

·
Registered
902 Posts
It normally takes me 15-20 minutes without rushing to remove the bumper cover.
I always lay it down on a sleeping bag.
That's a really good idea about the sleeping bag! If I had a garage to work in I'd actually consider it. I just don't, and there's nowhere for me to do that kind of thing. I can only do things where I don't have parts strung out on the ground, because of limitations of where I would have to do the work. But it's a lot of bolts anyway and I know you all know what size they all are probably by heart, but I don't, so I'd be a little worried about mixing something up, too. Either way I just don't have a place to do it, so it doesn't matter at the moment. My horn sounds good though but some day I would like to add the second, lower-pitch one to my wife's Fusion. And who knows, maybe even get one of those really loud intimidator horns for my FFS.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts