Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in installing a downpipe and intercooler (aswell as tune) in my car although I wanted to be sure there would be significantly better time sllips aswell as upholding reliability as I daily drive the car in Canada.

I wanted to ask some users on this forum what their thoughts were on the upgrade choices and if id be making the right decision.

Thank you all very much.

·
Registered
207 Posts
There are two down pipes, cost about 1500 depending on catted or not, FMIC's are about 700 to 900, tuning is al over the place. You can do your own for 400 bucks using HP tuners MPVI2, or just get with one of the many tuners out there and they'll set you up based on your mods. I do my own tuning, but I,ve also been at it for over 5 years now. Big thing about the Ford ecoboost platform is, it's not a easy straight forward process. There's a lot of stuff that can be changed and any one of those changes can make or break how the car runs.

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
I'll give you seven dollars if you fit a custom vertical flow intercooler to see if it works better than a horizontal flow IC in our cars.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'll give you seven dollars if you fit a custom vertical flow intercooler to see if it works better than a horizontal flow IC in our cars.
This about I/C's is more about square inches and not so much thickness, there's a sweet spot far as a ratio goes, but there is no perfect size. Big thing is being able to tune for the size change from stock to an after market. One reason the builders need to list the liters in the specs, but if not just keep moving it till it feels good. I,ve got a TTR with a Garrett core, ad I think I,m up just over 14 liters, the stock F 150 is over 15 if that gives you an idea. That number also takes in to account the hot n cold side pipes, so if you were to replace those, that's gonna change it more.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
This about I/C's is more about square inches and not so much thickness, there's a sweet spot far as a ratio goes, but there is no perfect size. Big thing is being able to tune for the size change from stock to an after market. One reason the builders need to list the liters in the specs, but if not just keep moving it till it feels good. I,ve got a TTR with a Garrett core, ad I think I,m up just over 14 liters, the stock F 150 is over 15 if that gives you an idea. That number also takes in to account the hot n cold side pipes, so if you were to replace those, that's gonna change it more.
Everything I've read says a (properly implemented) vertical flow intercooler is preferred if given equally sized cores. The long horizontal flow intercoolers are used mostly for packaging purposes. The long runners are needed because in order to flow the cfm required, the ic has to have a very poor fin density, which means bad heat transfer. A vertical core with more, shorter runners can use a high density core while still flowing more intake air. The internal flow volume may be slightly less because of the high fin density so the air spends slightly less time in the core, but since the air is flowing slower it still has plenty of time in the core to transfer heat to the more efficient high density fins.

The end result is higher flow potential with similar cooling at the cost of larger total volume (due to bigger end tanks) and more difficult packaging constraints.

That's my thought and understanding anyway.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Intercooler-yes to help with heat soak. Also get it tuned. The jury is still out on how much downpipes help our car. They are quite expensive as there is no competition in companies making them. Best bang for your buck is the tune. Nothing else will gain you power like a tune will.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I am interested in installing a downpipe and intercooler (aswell as tune) in my car although I wanted to be sure there would be significantly better time sllips aswell as upholding reliability as I daily drive the car in Canada.

I wanted to ask some users on this forum what their thoughts were on the upgrade choices and if id be making the right decision.

Thank you all very much.
I don't know if you have Adaptive Cruise or not but if you do, make sure your intercooler solution is compatible with that.

I agree with everything else folks are saying though. Tune is your #1 gainer, probably intercooler after that, but the tune is far and away the biggest single gain for least effort.

Beyond the tune and the intercooler you can look at things like sway bars, springs, things like that if you're interested in changing the handling. There are other options for performance as well like cold air intakes but there's a lot of debate about how much good they actually do. The tune, though, without question, is a huge gain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts