Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I activated "comfort mode" with Forscan in my 2017 without the MKZ cluster mod.
Works as designed.
Yes I believe Engineer is correct, only the 2017 comes with comfort mode. I still think a pothole if hit directly will still have a fair amount of impact regardless of what mode you are in. The overall ride in comfort mode is smoother but potholes can be brutal.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I don't understand why they would change the end links if the struts were malfunctioning.

Our cars are equipped with continuously controlled dampers. The suspension struts of each wheel have valves inside them that actuate to adjust things like rebound rates, suspension firmness, etc. If they were abused it is possible they could have failed, but changing your end links would not fix that issue at all.

Considering the issues you encountered with them servicing your PTU and RDU, my unfortunate advice is that this dealer seems absolutely incompetent and you should search elsewhere for mechanic services.
Any idea what they default to when they crap out, or is it just the last state they were in?
Agree on dealer. Sway bar end links have very little to do with ride quality.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Yes as others have said above, 2017s (or probably 2018/2019 cars running 2017 IPC firmware) don't require the MKZ IPC to enable Lincoln Drive Control. But for 2018+ you have to either replace the IPC with the Lincoln IPC, or else I imagine you could downgrade the IPC firmware to 2017 level and that should work too.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
and none of the 400a's can get to it.
That makes sense, because the 400a was never used in a Lincoln as far as I know, but the 401a is using a lot of the same display parts as the hybrid/electric Lincolns used (although not identical). I imagine that's how the Drive Control ended up in the firmware for the 2017s, but then they probably removed it as part of cleanup once they realized it didn't need to be there.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
That makes sense, because the 400a was never used in a Lincoln as far as I know, but the 401a is using a lot of the same display parts as the hybrid/electric Lincolns used (although not identical). I imagine that's how the Drive Control ended up in the firmware for the 2017s, but then they probably removed it as part of cleanup once they realized it didn't need to be there.
But it's there in the shock hardware. I've tried to find out what drives the signal change on the shocks. Would love to override it above
a certain G level and at that point, I could probably get the comfort setting on my own somehow.

Wonder if the Mondeo cluster gets you the comfort setting on a 400a.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
But it's there in the shock hardware. I've tried to find out what drives the signal change on the shocks. Would love to override it above
a certain G level and at that point, I could probably get the comfort setting on my own somehow.

Wonder if the Mondeo cluster gets you the comfort setting on a 400a.
I agree, at the level of the shock hardware I think it's identical across all these cars. And you still have the Sport and Normal on 400a, through the button (just like on a 401a stock FFS).

I tried to get info on the signaling a while back but couldn't find much. I think it's digital but I don't think it's a CAN bus thing. Which makes sense, I doubt even HS-CAN is low-latency enough for that kind of signaling. You need some seriously high speeds and low response times or that data is useless.

I wonder if a digital logic probe on the network cables out of the shocks could tell you anything. That's probably what I'd try, just not knowing where else to look for that info.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
401 Posts
Any idea what they default to when they crap out, or is it just the last state they were in?
Agree on dealer. Sway bar end links have very little to do with ride quality.
I would imagine they probably fail in whatever position the valve was at, but they could also fail closed or open too. It depends, I have had a hard time finding out what system our cars use. Either the internal valve controlling fluid flow within the strut, or some folks have said its a magnetic fluid that changes viscosity when voltage is applied to it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I agree, at the level of the shock hardware I think it's identical across all these cars. And you still have the Sport and Normal on 400a, through the button (just like on a 401a stock FFS).

I tried to get info on the signaling a while back but couldn't find much. I think it's digital but I don't think it's a CAN bus thing. Which makes sense, I doubt even HS-CAN is low-latency enough for that kind of signaling. You need some seriously high speeds and low response times or that data is useless.

I wonder if a digital logic probe on the network cables out of the shocks could tell you anything. That's probably what I'd try, just not knowing where else to look for that info.
I don't need the speed really for what I want. I want it to go full firm @ a certain lateral G level (or maybe braking/accell, do something like front soft, rear hard, etc...)
I suspect the speed I need for that is much slower than the speed you need for the pothole damping algorithm. I don't think the shock itself has some "digital card" in it,
but who knows these days, maybe there is an actual circuit in each shock.

My idea would be to disconnect the signal coming from the system, briefly, while I supply my own to all 4 shocks. Then when G-level falls below levels have it switch back to the system.
I suspect it might record errors like it thinks the shocks are intermittent, but hopefully that would be all it does. Record the errors, but ignore them otherwise when shocks come back
"online" after my brief interruption.

What I need is both ends of the strut electrical connector, tie them in and record voltage, amperage, frequency, etc. and hope it is not some digital signal like you think.

PS, lightly sorry for the major hijack. 😀

21 - 29 of 29 Posts