Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I don't know where to start but, my car has some issues when it comes to its ride quality, its become very harsh considering the previous owner abused the hell out of it. He drove it in the south (where roads are dogs**t filled with potholes) with no sign of slowing down when hitting one (you could say he would hit a pothole at full speed, turn around, and hit it again LOL).
2 months ago, I had to repair my wheels and changed the tires completely considering they were damaged to hell and back, the balance was way off, I also did an alignment and fixed that too. The ride quality became much better after those changes but the ride was still harsh during tiny bumps on the road or hitting speed bumps. And I always slow down to a complete stop when it comes to going over speed bumps. So, I finally went for a service, considering my PTU and RDU oil change was overdue too (I read the service threads here so I immediately decided to change it when my next engine oil change's appointment comes).
My major problems were the following:
1- Car would slightly wobble after braking at 60mph
2- Car ride was extremely sensitive when it came to any bumps.

I took my car to our only Ford service center in the city, and I did the following:
1- Engine oil and filter
2- PTU and RDU oil change
3- Spark plug change
4- Check the brake rotor and pads
5- Check the suspension system

It was surprising to me that the people there did NOT KNOW what PTU and RDU oil change was, and I spent about 15 minutes explaining (They asked me why I want to change if the axle isn't making any bad noise or produce a smell, I explained the ultimate phenomena of PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE :OOOO), I showed them pictures of both and they finally understood. Nonetheless, they took it as "changing the front and rear axle oils". Weird. But I think they did the right thing considering both units took about 1 quart. All the product ID's are listed in the attachments below, I can only cross my fingers that they didn't feed my PTU and RDU poison. Please affirm for me! I translated the Arabic text for further help.

And about my suspension, they said both my front suspensions have, and I quote by directly translating from Arabic, "disconnected/deactivated", and need replacement. Nonetheless, they changed my suspension "links"? Wasn't expensive so I was like okay. They did not have them in stock at their workshop and I would need to order from Dubai. And total would be about $720 USD for replacement and labor. I have not ordered yet as I want to do more research first. It's still ambiguous to me to a certain point.
They fixed my brake pads and rotors and that was costed as "labor" since it didn't include any parts purchases. They brake very well right now.

Have a look!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
401 Posts
Hey guys,

I don't know where to start but, my car has some issues when it comes to its ride quality, its become very harsh considering the previous owner abused the hell out of it. He drove it in the south (where roads are dogs**t filled with potholes) with no sign of slowing down when hitting one (you could say he would hit a pothole at full speed, turn around, and hit it again LOL).
2 months ago, I had to repair my wheels and changed the tires completely considering they were damaged to hell and back, the balance was way off, I also did an alignment and fixed that too. The ride quality became much better after those changes but the ride was still harsh during tiny bumps on the road or hitting speed bumps. And I always slow down to a complete stop when it comes to going over speed bumps. So, I finally went for a service, considering my PTU and RDU oil change was overdue too (I read the service threads here so I immediately decided to change it when my next engine oil change's appointment comes).
My major problems were the following:
1- Car would slightly wobble after braking at 60mph
2- Car ride was extremely sensitive when it came to any bumps.

I took my car to our only Ford service center in the city, and I did the following:
1- Engine oil and filter
2- PTU and RDU oil change
3- Spark plug change
4- Check the brake rotor and pads
5- Check the suspension system

It was surprising to me that the people there did NOT KNOW what PTU and RDU oil change was, and I spent about 15 minutes explaining (They asked me why I want to change if the axle isn't making any bad noise or produce a smell, I explained the ultimate phenomena of PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE :OOOO), I showed them pictures of both and they finally understood. Nonetheless, they took it as "changing the front and rear axle oils". Weird. But I think they did the right thing considering both units took about 1 quart. All the product ID's are listed in the attachments below, I can only cross my fingers that they didn't feed my PTU and RDU poison. Please affirm for me! I translated the Arabic text for further help.

And about my suspension, they said both my front suspensions have, and I quote by directly translating from Arabic, "disconnected/deactivated", and need replacement. Nonetheless, they changed my suspension "links"? Wasn't expensive so I was like okay. They did not have them in stock at their workshop and I would need to order from Dubai. And total would be about $720 USD for replacement and labor. I have not ordered yet as I want to do more research first. It's still ambiguous to me to a certain point.
They fixed my brake pads and rotors and that was costed as "labor" since it didn't include any parts purchases. They brake very well right now.

Have a look!
I don't understand why they would change the end links if the struts were malfunctioning.

Our cars are equipped with continuously controlled dampers. The suspension struts of each wheel have valves inside them that actuate to adjust things like rebound rates, suspension firmness, etc. If they were abused it is possible they could have failed, but changing your end links would not fix that issue at all.

Considering the issues you encountered with them servicing your PTU and RDU, my unfortunate advice is that this dealer seems absolutely incompetent and you should search elsewhere for mechanic services.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update, I got clarification; the dampers and damper mounts need to be changed. And only the sway bar links have been changed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Considering the issues you encountered with them servicing your PTU and RDU, my unfortunate advice is that this dealer seems absolutely incompetent and you should search elsewhere for mechanic services.
Yeah I was absolutely shocked that they didn't know what those two are. Considering they get Explorers and F150's serviced all the time...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Doesn't Ford consider PTU/RDU fluids to be "lifetime" and not need replacement? That would explain why the dealership knew nothing about them. Anyways, I assume they changed the correct fluids, since the actual axles don't have any oil to replace (and no one repacks the grease, axles just get replaced usually) - I bet they meant front end and rear end, not "axles".

On to the next topic... Smart to replace tires and brake pads, as well as to get an alignment - well done. Is there any vibration when driving at highway speeds, or is it just bumps that are a problem?

Did the dealership replace or just resurface the rotors? And what do you mean when you say you "repaired" the wheels?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm curious why they only changed 5 spark plugs?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doesn't Ford consider PTU/RDU fluids to be "lifetime" and not need replacement? That would explain why the dealership knew nothing about them. Anyways, I assume they changed the correct fluids, since the actual axles don't have any oil to replace (and no one repacks the grease, axles just get replaced usually) - I bet they meant front end and rear end, not "axles".

On to the next topic... Smart to replace tires and brake pads, as well as to get an alignment - well done. Is there any vibration when driving at highway speeds, or is it just bumps that are a problem?

Did the dealership replace or just resurface the rotors? And what do you mean when you say you "repaired" the wheels?

I personally don't believe its a "lifetime fluid". And yeah as long as they changed those two units, its good.

There's no vibration at high speed whatsoever, only the bumps are a problem, I really feel them. In my defense, I honestly thought the ride was that harsh because I was told its "the Sport model with Sport suspension", so I thought it was normal for it to feel like a Miata with wooden sticks for dampers. I was fooled.

The dealership resurfaced the rotors. And the wheels' balances were horribly off, almost 200g each wheel... So that was repaired. No imbalanced weight now. Cost me a pretty penny since I did not want to replace the original wheels.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
There's no vibration at high speed whatsoever, only the bumps are a problem, I really feel them. In my defense, I honestly thought the ride was that harsh because I was told its "the Sport model with Sport suspension", so I thought it was normal for it to feel like a Miata with wooden sticks for dampers. I was fooled.
Hi @Botani ,

Yes it sounds like they got you. I can tell you that these cars are very smooth stock, especially when in Drive. I know mine is considerably more smooth than even my wife's (non-FFS) Fusion. And hers is newer.

And you you can even make them smoother than that, if you enable Lincoln Drive Control. At least in my car that made a huge difference, so now my Drive and Sport feel completely different.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi @Botani ,

Yes it sounds like they got you. I can tell you that these cars are very smooth stock, especially when in Drive. I know mine is considerably more smooth than even my wife's (non-FFS) Fusion. And hers is newer.

And you you can even make them smoother than that, if you enable Lincoln Drive Control. At least in my car that made a huge difference, so now my Drive and Sport feel completely different.

Hi Engineer,

Could you explain how the car becomes smoother from Sport mode to just Drive? Apart from smoother throttle response and less quick gear shifts, as far as I know, our cars don't have active damper controls.
And I will get that Lincoln MKZ cluster one day. I've seen countless examples and they look amazing each time. Wish the Sport came with them from factory.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi Engineer,

Could you explain how the car becomes smoother from Sport mode to just Drive? Apart from smoother throttle response and less quick gear shifts, as far as I know, our cars don't have active damper controls.
Our cars do have active dampers with "pothole detection". The difference between normal and sport modes is subtle but noticeable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Our cars do have active dampers with "pothole detection". The difference between normal and sport modes is subtle but noticeable.
Mine didn’t come with the pothole detection, so do I still have active dampers?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Every Fusion Sport had pothole detection (which is the active damping system) so unless the previous owner swapped it out, you have it too.
Hmmmm. I initially thought the lights on the dashboard and the radar on the windshield (in which I don’t have both) contributed to the pothole detection system. Could you tell me how the pothole detection works? I watched some vids but there was no explanation to HOW it worked.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hmmmm. I initially thought the lights on the dashboard and the radar on the windshield (in which I don’t have both) contributed to the pothole detection system. Could you tell me how the pothole detection works? I watched some vids but there was no explanation to HOW it worked.
It is like Level says it works through your damping system (CCD) system uses 12 different sensors to read the road, and the vehicle inputs every 2 milliseconds. The system adjusts the shock absorbers so impact severity is reduced. I believe the damping system only works when you are driving in Sport mode. It may reduce severity but you will still know you hit s pothole.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Hi Engineer,

And I will get that Lincoln MKZ cluster one day. I've seen countless examples and they look amazing each time. Wish the Sport came with them from factory.
Hi @Botani ,

As @LeVeL mentions, our cars have active suspension systems. So in Sport mode your suspension should typically be tighter than in normal Drive mode. In my car, specifically, I found that once I enabled Lincoln Drive Control and set my normal mode to "Comfort", there was a very pronounced difference between the two modes, where it had been fairly subtle before.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi @Botani ,

As @LeVeL mentions, our cars have active suspension systems. So in Sport mode your suspension should typically be tighter than in normal Drive mode. In my car, specifically, I found that once I enabled Lincoln Drive Control and set my normal mode to "Comfort", there was a very pronounced difference between the two modes, where it had been fairly subtle before.
Engine, you can only do what you stated above if you have the MKZ cluster?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I activated "comfort mode" with Forscan in my 2017 without the MKZ cluster mod.
Works as designed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts