Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I've been looking for a sporty awd 4 door and the Ford Fusion Sport looks like it's one of my best options.

My only current hesitation is the transmission. Can I get some honest opinions from you guys about it?

How is it behind the 2.7l V6? Does it last? Are there any known issues that I should be aware of?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Hey guys,

So I've been looking for a sporty awd 4 door and the Ford Fusion Sport looks like it's one of my best options.

My only current hesitation is the transmission. Can I get some honest opinions from you guys about it?

How is it behind the 2.7l V6? Does it last? Are there any known issues that I should be aware of?
Hi @Knox556 !

I think it's a terrific car, myself. On the transmission, I understand your concerns because I wondered the same sorts of things just based on reading the forums and so on. But you have to consider that most of the people who have had trouble with the transmission have been pushing power levels that are way, way beyond stock. For instance, we have a guy on here who regularly races his FFS and his crank HP is, I believe, at least close to 500 HP. And he has well over 100,000 miles on a car that he regularly races, hard, with a very aggressive tune and even upgraded turbos.

These things are pretty solid. Remember that the 6F55 we have is an upgraded version of the 6F35 that's used in all the other fusions, and it's several versions into the transmission. It now has a lot of upgraded parts beyond even the original 6F55, so the parts are more hardened as well.

The only downside to this transmission that I've seen is that, like pretty much any Ford, it has a "softer" feel than I'd personally prefer. It tightens up in Sport mode, even stock, but I just prefer really aggressive transmissions that bump you around a little. The general consumer doesn't want that though, so Ford wisely makes their transmissions feel a little softer than some on a performance forum might prefer, and I understand that. I think it's a good decision by Ford, actually.

If you do get the car and are willing to tune it, you can make that transmission really come alive if you want. It's got the parts to do it, and it's more than sturdy enough. It's just a matter of what you want to do with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer @Engineer !

This is going to be my daily driver, however I'll definitely be down to tune it. I'm not going to be racing it by any means but I'll definitely want to spin the tires every now and then. From a longevity standpoint, do you think it will do well with my purposes?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Thanks for the answer @Engineer !

This is going to be my daily driver, however I'll definitely be down to tune it. I'm not going to be racing it by any means but I'll definitely want to spin the tires every now and then. From a longevity standpoint, do you think it will do well with my purposes?
I think so, definitely! Your use is similar to why I got mine. I just wanted something really strong, fast, but still very comfortable, for a long commute back and forth to work. I don't have the commute any more but it's still a great car for me, and I'm glad I have it! The car is very smooth, especially if you do the MKZ cluster upgrade like I did on mine and enable the Lincoln Drive Control for Comfort mode, but then tightens up noticeably in Sport mode. And yes with a tune these things can absolutely rip. There's a tremendous amount of power there if you want it. They're basically putting a pickup truck engine into a sedan, and if you unleash that much power that thing will scream.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
No problem @Knox556 , any time! One last thing that comes to mind that you might want to consider: Because you mentioned spinning the tires, it occurs to me that you might also want to consider a Stang. They're not AWD, but you'll get more tire spinning that way. The AWD system in these, with the electronic stability and traction control systems, will put the power down across all four wheels really well, so there's not usually much spinning. The car just moves.

And I mean, you can be sitting on a side street in a rain storm and want to turn into fast traffic, and punch it, and it will just grip and go as long as you have good tires (and handle the car correctly obviously). You can't do that in a lot of cars. These have so much power the AWD was mandatory, though, so grip isn't usually a problem. Just something to consider. But remember, if you're spinning, you're not moving. ;) So our AWD is nice to have in a lot situations.

Anyway good luck whatever you do!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha thanks for the heads up. I was speaking metaphorically more or less, I just want something that can go fast and is practical at the same time. Stangs seem great and I'd love to have a manual tranny but I need a 4 door so the wife can be happy!

I'll probably be back here if/when I get one!

Thanks agian

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
524 Posts
Haha thanks for the heads up. I was speaking metaphorically more or less, I just want something that can go fast and is practical at the same time. Stangs seem great and I'd love to have a manual tranny but I need a 4 door so the wife can be happy!

I'll probably be back here if/when I get one!

Thanks agian
Oh I wouldn't worry. If you're on the stock 235s with cold tires you'll definitely feel a little bit of wheelspin.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Trans is a little finicky with shifts, on/off the throttle once in a while.
I also feel it shifts lazy here and there, even tuned. Otherwise, it's
pretty respectable on a daily basis, given the insane amount of torque
these have with a 93 tune.

That said, I have close to 40K on a 93 tune and I don't drive slow.
No issues mechanically or electrically. I do do a drain and fill every other oil change,
so 4+ QT's every 10K miles or so.

I would not hesitate to buy the car again. It's almost the perect daily driver for me.
I don't know what I would get to replace it (if/when), that wouldn't cost at least 50 grand.

·
Registered
462 Posts
OX1 and Engineer summed it up perfectly. Like OX1 said, as its a single clutch it can be a bit clunky on/off throttle at times - usually in heavy stop/start traffic. As Engineer mentioned the programming can be a little soft and not as sporty as you may like at times but this can be sharpened with a tune.
Best daily driver in its class and price bracket. Get a 401A if you can. Its fully loaded and although you may think you don't need all the tech, you'll appreciate it afterwards. It can be reasonable on fuel if you drive accordingly. I get 33mpg at 60mph on long drives and over 40mph at 50mph. Not 4cyl. Numbers but not bad for 300+ hp. It'll be smooth and gentle with the family on board and nimble when its just you. The 380lb torque gives a good head whip when launching. Its got an amazing sweet spot around 30-40 where changing lanes on motorways can be as quick as any high performance car.
At the end of the its still a Ford, not an Audi or Jag, so there'll be some minor fit and finish things that you get with a $30k when it was new car. There were quality issues but most of them popped up in early miles of running. I guess you're looking at cars with 40k is miles, so most of the build problems should be resolved for you. One thing that applied to me and you may want to keep an eye out for is that my rotors started warping, granted that it was somewhat related to my driving, but check it when test driving. You may need to get them skimmed as part of the deal.

There's plenty of threads on the performance and handling. Basics still apply - look after car and it'll look after you.

That turned out to be the longest "I agree" post ive done. Good hunting. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport 2.7L TT AWD
858 Posts
Another vote from me. Going on 60k miles and no issues worth mentioning. Power when you need it. Comfortable.
Highly recommend it. Before purchasing, would recommend to check to make sure there are no fluid leaks. PTU on some models have been known to develop leaks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
a lot on autotrader now with well over 120000m selling for high prices which I wouldn’t imagine they could command with drivetrain issues; I came from an Accord so I was weary about reliability after dogging my accord for 250k miles with no issues other than replacing the clutch.
Just don’t let the dealer convince you the fluids are lifetime. Change the trans, PTU, and RDU every 45k if you’re a grandma and every 30k if you’re heavy on them turbos.

after 20,000 problem free, fun miles, and tons of terrifying launches, everything is fine and cross my fingers I’m not expecting anything soon. It feels every bit the same as the day I bought it, and as soon as I grow some balls, a tune is going on. I have a lot of faith in this machine after being a Honda fanboy and a ford hater just based on how good it has been to me in the past two years.

·
Registered
120 Posts
"Trans is a little finicky with shifts, on/off the throttle once in a while.
I also feel it shifts lazy here and there"
My 2017 FFS was behaving exactly like that until the end of last month: the gearbox was blocked on the park position.
The Ford dealer changed the rotary gear selector and updated the gearbox programming.
Miracle, it is now a different car, with far more reactivity.
On my commute travel I have a precise place where the gearbox/gas throttle behavior was faulty: it is no more the case.

If you have a way to get a firmware update of the gearbox/gas throttle do not hesitate to pay for it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Great advice from other forum members. And it's fun to drive! After several years, I am still always anxious to hop in and go!

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Tuning will fix most of the shifting issues everyone complains about, but it takes a lot of trial n error. I,ve finally got a good feel for it, and how to set it up.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I just wish there was some steering feel, more noise, and quicker steering.
Big sway bars and summer tires. My turn in is almost instantaneous.
It's not even the same car from just those two mods, especially with shocks on firm.

I originally kind of thought this car didn't handle that great (you can stumble on some of my old posts were I
inititally wasn't that impressed), but now it is near the top in handling of all the cars I've owned, with only my
EV08 being better (and that's half the ride quality for 10-15% better handling).

·
Registered
547 Posts
Big sway bars and summer tires. My turn in is almost instantaneous.
It's not even the same car from just those two mods, especially with shocks on firm.

I originally kind of thought this car didn't handle that great (you can stumble on some of my old posts were I
inititally wasn't that impressed), but now it is near the top in handling of all the cars I've owned, with only my
EV08 being better (and that's half the ride quality for 10-15% better handling).
Good to know! What do you have for sway bars, Steeda? Both front and rear?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Automotive design Automotive lighting Font Gauge Vehicle

I’ve been drag racing it since 17,000 miles. Still my year round daily driver. Transmission has been leaking between the casting halves since like 75-80k but keeping it topped up is a matter of several ounces a year. Awesome in winter with the right tires. Even drove it on a muddy logging road once on summer tires and was impressed by the AWD getting us through it! I’m glad I bought it. Still getting compliments about it to this day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts