Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17' FFS
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The orange wrench light came on for me this morning on my way in to work. I was on a long Swooping off ramp driving a bit hard when it came on. 3rd gear at about 3k rolling onto the throttle when the power slightly cut and this warning came on.

I know this is associated with a drivetrain/power train fault. Guess I'll have to plug it in on my lunch break to see what codes are stored. Has anyone else had this light come on?

It's still covered under the factory 3yr/36k and I've also got the extended 100k from Flood Ford. So most likely will be going in anyways.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Mine was a problem with the shifter ring, but I think it comes on for almost any OBDII code.
Could just be a couple misfires if you think you felt it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The few times I got the wrench was a P0234 turbocharger over boost. In my case, an ignition cycle made the wrench go away but the code was still logged and I had to clear it with my SCT.

·
Registered
17' FFS
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ran the code today. Came up as P0234. The light went away after turning the car off and then on again but is still stored. I've got an apt next week at the dealer to have my sunroof replaced so they'll look at this also.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Both times I got that code I was accelerating around a corner... Sounds like you were doing something similar... very interesting.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The one time I got the Wrench Light on my 2016 Fusion 2.0. It was a defective fuel injector. It was never a permanent on. It never threw a code that I could read with my OBDII device and neither could the auto parts store pull it up. Took to the dealer an they pulled the code.

·
Registered
17' FFS
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both times I got that code I was accelerating around a corner... Sounds like you were doing something similar... very interesting.
That's very interesting... I'll make it a point to try and reproduce the issue. Not sure what the link between cornering and an overboost condition are tho..

·
Registered
356 Posts
I got this code when I wot from a dead stop. On the 1-2 shift it goes right into 3rd and throws the wrench but it doesnt put it into limp mode. Off/on cycle cleared the code all but one time where I could read it as the 0234 overboost A. Trying to get it worked out in the tune with James

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got this code when I wot from a dead stop. On the 1-2 shift it goes right into 3rd and throws the wrench but it doesnt put it into limp mode. Off/on cycle cleared the code all but one time where I could read it as the 0234 overboost A. Trying to get it worked out in the tune with James
Both times I got this code I was running the 93 tune from James. I reported it to him and did some data logging he requested. I've kept in contact with him regularly to see if he has any updates for the tune but nothing yet. Considering the work he is doing with the Fusion, I'd hoped he would have some revisions but his focus has been on ethanol and not premium gas. Following and interested to see where you get. Hoping with multiple customers reporting it, some progress is made.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Is yours repeatable under the same conditions? Dead stop wot then the 1-2 shift throws code. Just wondering if its identical. If it is you can try my ghetto fix in the mean time lol the lowering rev limiter when uploading tune but it does it for all gears. Fixes the issue though for me

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport Ecoboost AWD
33 Posts
New issue for me. Sub zero temps, low rpm and less than 30 mph fuel is 83 octane. It shut the car down completely in traffic. I placed it in park, foot on brake and hit the start/stop and it restarted. Drove home for about 5 miles pulled up to outside mail box and got mail out of it. The wrench was still showing below the digital mileage indicator in the left instrument screen. I pulled into the garage shut it down correctly, and restarted. The wrench was gone. I'll take it in to the local Ford dealer sometime this coming week.

·
Registered
754 Posts
New issue for me. Sub zero temps, low rpm and less than 30 mph fuel is 83 octane. It shut the car down completely in traffic. I placed it in park, foot on brake and hit the start/stop and it restarted. Drove home for about 5 miles pulled up to outside mail box and got mail out of it. The wrench was still showing below the digital mileage indicator in the left instrument screen. I pulled into the garage shut it down correctly, and restarted. The wrench was gone. I'll take it in to the local Ford dealer sometime this coming week.
I'm really, really, really hoping this was just a typo, but just to be clear: If you somehow got 83 octane fuel in your car, and ran it for any length of time at all, you need to have the car towed to a dealer (without starting it) and get everything checked out. And you're going to need to either have the tank drained or, at a bare minimum, do some type of octane boost to raise that up. 83 octane would be absolute trash gas, and I can't even imagine how much damage that might have done to your engine.

On the other hand if that was just a typo and you meant 93, you can ignore all of this. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
1,455 Posts
I've got a scary story for you all - a government agency I work with regularly in my line of work runs their fleet on 83 octane. It's dirt cheap. And yeah, their fleet contains many turbocharged vehicles - 1.5L & 1.6L EcoBoost Fusions, 1.4L EcoTec Chevy Cruzes, and of course a fair amount of other N/A vehicles. I'm honestly not sure they all keep running, but they do. A bit down on power, but you'd never realize without being told.

Anyways... running 83 shouldn't do any damage, unless you beat on the car pretty hard while running several tanks of the stuff. Definitely never use 83 in a personal vehicle tho! But as Engineer said - if that's just a typo, it still sounds like a bad tank of gas. Throw a little fuel treatment in there and see if that helps before taking a trip to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I'm really, really, really hoping this was just a typo, but just to be clear: If you somehow got 83 octane fuel in your car, and ran it for any length of time at all, you need to have the car towed to a dealer (without starting it) and get everything checked out. And you're going to need to either have the tank drained or, at a bare minimum, do some type of octane boost to raise that up. 83 octane would be absolute trash gas, and I can't even imagine how much damage that might have done to your engine.

On the other hand if that was just a typo and you meant 93, you can ignore all of this. :cool:
Yep a typo. 87 octane. 93 octane is available locally, however the car is just personal transportation. We had a week of Uri weather, and I suffer from incurable cancer. I don't get out to the garage to warm it up more than once daily. Look up follicular thyroid cancer if you want to know more. Doctors have warned me against falling, as I will probably wind up a paraplegic if I hit just right.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Do, I drove it into the dealership and they got out their OBD II port reader. Nothing was stored. The explanation was that the car was restarted, which it was as it was stalled in traffic on a Sunday morning in the middle lane of traffic and blocking traffic. So, the system doesn't save codes if you have to restart when it needs to be moved out of traffic. There is apparently no storage for codes? The Subaru cars I owned saved codes, not sure how many or for how long, as their local dealership could read for days and weeks after the cars displayed codes. Is Ford that cheap, unconcerned about their service and customers?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Do, I drove it into the dealership and they got out their OBD II port reader. Nothing was stored. The explanation was that the car was restarted, which it was as it was stalled in traffic on a Sunday morning in the middle lane of traffic and blocking traffic. So, the system doesn't save codes if you have to restart when it needs to be moved out of traffic. There is apparently no storage for codes? The Subaru cars I owned saved codes, not sure how many or for how long, as their local dealership could read for days and weeks after the cars displayed codes. Is Ford that cheap, unconcerned about their service and customers?
No that's not the case at all. I know that Fords store codes. Some codes are persistent, though, and some are transient-only I think. But if there's a serious problem, it'll always be a persistent code as far as I'm aware. Certainly if you're getting dash lights I'd expect a persistent code. I'm not sure what's going on with your car if it's not storing anything, but I think either:

1. You have a bad PCM maybe that isn't storing things properly, or
2. You have someone reading it who doesn't know how to read them properly (unlikely if it's a dealer since their techs are very good)

Or else maybe you have something clearing the codes. Do you have an insurance OBDII module in the car or anything like that?

Serious codes though definitely get stored. I've seen codes in my car from events that I knew happened quite a while before.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I agree with Engineer. Depending on the code(s), they are stored in different places and require more than just a standard OBDII read. I had a misfire issue with my Fusion 2.0, wrench light came on. I pulled over, turned off car and restarted. Light went out. I pulled into my local automotive store and asked them to see if they could pull a code, and nope, no codes available. Situation repeated itself a few days later. Took to the dealership. They initially could not find a code, but did more thorough search and found a code was logged for bad injector (Warranty repair). I do know the dealership used two different pieces of equipment to find the code. Don't know where they found the code.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
No that's not the case at all. I know that Fords store codes. Some codes are persistent, though, and some are transient-only I think. But if there's a serious problem, it'll always be a persistent code as far as I'm aware. Certainly if you're getting dash lights I'd expect a persistent code. I'm not sure what's going on with your car if it's not storing anything, but I think either:

1. You have a bad PCM maybe that isn't storing things properly, or
2. You have someone reading it who doesn't know how to read them properly (unlikely if it's a dealer since their techs are very good)

Or else maybe you have something clearing the codes. Do you have an insurance OBDII module in the car or anything like that?

Serious codes though definitely get stored. I've seen codes in my car from events that I knew happened quite a while before.
First, this was read at the dealership from which the car was purchased and always serviced.

One of the service writers walked out to the car with me following with what I assumed was the Ford OBDII reader (large, red, rectangle, long cable with an OBDII cable permanently attached).

No other dash lights have ever been displayed before for the 26K+ miles on the car.

I'm not sure about the capability of the service writer, although he was one that I have never seen before ... I would think that if the PCM was bad it would have manifested before that incident in some way.

I have no "insurance" OBDII module in the car. I would never allow my insurance company, of 20 years, to put any device in the car. Yes, I know where the OBDII port is, before you ask.

I'm guessing (the weather at the time was a contributing factor). and you are most likely correct it was a transient code.

The Subarus I owned were great and except for one never gave me trouble. They stored everything that went across the system. You had to clear everything manually.

I had one Subaru that spent more time in the dealership's garage than it did in mine. The first code indicated a timing sensor on the snout of the crank was the fault, which was replaced. A month later it was a harness, again replaced. Then two months it was something else, yada, yada... for 2 years at intermittent times. Eventually they got the factory from Japan involved. I turned out they had put in a new version PCM from an outside vendor (never buy a first year production vehicle :LOL:) which had many of them assembled in various models. Subaru had to do a whole bunch of mea culpas on that one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts