Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone seems to agree that a tune is the best bang for your buck, but what is the second best mod for performance?

My thought is lighter wheels and grippier tires so there's less unsprung weight and less wheel spin when launching. Although if I can only do one, wheels or tires?

Every time I am looking into a wheel set though, that huge muffler keeps staring at me begging to be cut out. Replacing it with something lighter and higher flow would be much cheaper than a wheel set. I just haven't heard of anyone here feeling any noticeable gain, just sound. And it's real easy to screw that up and make a nice quiet ride start to drone.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
296 Posts
We'll I agree about the exhaust and everyone agrees on the tune. I see some are now getting the E30 tune and seem pretty excited about it. As for me I think tires. Because they are going to be replaced anyway it's like a two for one. Or the Borla exhaust if you have some ca$h.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Tires won't make that big of a difference if you are just going to replace all seasons with all seasons. I cut a 1.85 60ft with my stock all seasons.
I would look for lite weight wheels and several can be found around 20lbs or so.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Tires won't make that big of a difference if you are just going to replace all seasons with all seasons. I cut a 1.85 60ft with my stock all seasons.
I would look for lite weight wheels and several can be found around 20lbs or so.

I agree, weight will count for more than tires. I was able to get a 1.81 60ft with the Goodyear all seasons. Heck, I pull my spare tire and subs out at the track to try and reduce weight.

I would worry about the drive train if the car hooked up more, that's a lot of strain.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I agree a tune is best bang for your buck. But 2nd is a toss up only because we don't have any parts yet that really help us.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree a tune is best bang for your buck. But 2nd is a toss up only because we don't have any parts yet that really help us.
lack of aftermarket support is a bit frustrating. I think the platform has a lot of potential.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Really wish there was more by now. Hopefully soon. But with my luck when I trade in in a few years all kinds of stuff will be available. And I'm not buying anything to just use for a few months.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here is a little bad news for us waiting for aftermarket stuff - I had lunch with the owner of our local deanship - Fusions sports are really not selling well across the nation - unless that trend changes we will be in for a long wait - also nothing different on the sport for 18 - the performance cars ford are pushing is the 350 HP Focus RS and of course the Mustang

·
Registered
171 Posts
Here is a little bad news for us waiting for aftermarket stuff - I had lunch with the owner of our local deanship - Fusions sports are really not selling well across the nation - unless that trend changes we will be in for a long wait - also nothing different on the sport for 18 - the performance cars ford are pushing is the 350 HP Focus RS and of course the Mustang
That's too bad, but ford does not market the Sport at all so I'm not surprised. I test drove the Mustang GT, Mustang EcoBoost, Focus ST and Focus RS. For me the fusion was perfect. 4 doors and AWD and good performance in snow and no over the top ****boy styling.

The good part is they will be pretty rare in a few years.

·
Registered
481 Posts
That's too bad, but ford does not market the Sport at all so I'm not surprised. I test drove the Mustang GT, Mustang EcoBoost, Focus ST and Focus RS. For me the fusion was perfect. 4 doors and AWD and good performance in snow and no over the top ****boy styling.

The good part is they will be pretty rare in a few years.
yea i agree 100% ford cant expect much they havnt marketed this car aka no one knows anything about it

·
Registered
333 Posts
My two cents' here...after a tune, I'd redo the exhaust system. That rear muffler has got to be one of the fugliest things to ever come out on a sedan. When I had mine replaced, the muffler shop guys couldn't believe a muffler that big was used on a car. They counted something like 7 chambers in that muffler. Of course it depends on whether you're going to track the car or not. I'm not, so lighter weight wheels and grippier tires are WAY down the list of things. I'm more about the daily driver aspects of the car, and that fugly muffler just had to go. Replaced it with a pair of Magnaflows, and I'm a happy camper.

Attachments

Reactions: mantra1

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My two cents' here...after a tune, I'd redo the exhaust system. That rear muffler has got to be one of the fugliest things to ever come out on a sedan. When I had mine replaced, the muffler shop guys couldn't believe a muffler that big was used on a car. They counted something like 7 chambers in that muffler. Of course it depends on whether you're going to track the car or not. I'm not, so lighter weight wheels and grippier tires are WAY down the list of things. I'm more about the daily driver aspects of the car, and that fugly muffler just had to go. Replaced it with a pair of Magnaflows, and I'm a happy camper.
That looks great. Can your butt dyno feel a difference or just your ears? I actually like the quiet car. If I could keep the quiet and lose the weight and restriction, then I'd be a happy man.

I get your point about the tires, but I was hoping lighter wheels would still have a pleasing effect on daily driving, or at least heavy acceleration off the light.

No one has mentioned anything on the intake, like the Steeda intake. I suspect that makes little difference.

Reactions: QuickSilver

·
Registered
176 Posts
As for the lighter rims they make a huge difference, rotational mass robs a lot of horsepower, I am running the Forgestar's CF5V and they are under 20 lbs also with AS3+ extreme all season 245/40r/19 those tires do it all, very well! quiet, super grip wet or dry , I really like them. I plan to do some track pulls as soon as I get the water injection system finished that I am working on.

Reactions: mantra1 and Kevin74

·
Registered
176 Posts
On the next mod , I think a inner cooler would be the best bang for the buck,

·
Registered
89 Posts
Absolutely an intercooler if you run the car hard - the one on there is a joke - like the muffler - but the a bigger intercooler will help a lot more the a new exhaust system - doubt we will see one developed based on sales etc!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Again, to emphasize the point, a lot of the mods and the priority one will do them depends a LOT on what you're going to do with the car. Mine will never see a track of any kind, so things like lighter wheels (which can cost a small fortune), larger inter-cooler, etc., are WAY down my list of things to do. I kinda doubt a daily driver will encounter any kind of serious heat sink from the stock IC, and with the Unleashed 93 octane tune it's plenty fast for me, spending $$$ on lighter wheels could be better spent elsewhere for a daily driver.

Having said that, it's absolutely true that reducing unsprung weight (like wheels), will help the car to accelerate faster and handle better. I had a Moto Guzzi motorcycle that had cast aluminum wheels stock. I replaced them with a set of magnesium wheels, and could immediately feel the difference, from just pushing it around in the garage to out on the road. I seem to remember that there's some kind of formula, that for every X lbs you save in unsprung weight, you'll gain Y amount of hp. With the Guzzi wheels, I think I saved something like 25 lbs total in unsprung weight, and I could definitely feel the difference. But those two wheels weren't cheap, I think they were about $1600 for the pair 20 years ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
SoCal, a question on your tires and wheels. What offset and did you have to modify anything to get them to work? did you lower your car? thanks.. (My first post:D)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Second best mod after a tune? 25hp shot of nitrous. Does the same thing as Methanol but better. A 25 shot will add more than 25whp on a turbo car. With a 15 Lbs. bottle, a 25 shot will last a long time.

·
Registered
333 Posts
SoCal, a question on your tires and wheels. What offset and did you have to modify anything to get them to work? did you lower your car? thanks.. (My first post:D)
Those black wheels on my car are 20x8.5 (stock is 19x8), +40mm offset (stock is +55), with 255/35 Falkens. Setup works fine, no rubbing that I'm aware of, stock ride height...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts