Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the correct way to disable the seatbelt minder chime. I followed the procedure in the owners manual and it does not work. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
1,337 Posts
If you wear your seatbelt it doesn't chime.

Kidding! (...Sort of). Are you waiting correct amount of time between each step listed in the manual? I've done it on several newer non-road-use Fords at my workplace and did not have an issue. Worse case, you can use FORScan.

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
I checked DanMc85 and DAMiFo's spreadsheets but they do not have anything listed. I haven't tried this but the F150 spreadsheet lists the following as a shared setting. IPC is the module that handles all the key, door chime stuff.

Driver & passenger seatbelt minder status off IPC 720-01-01 xxxx xx0x xxxx

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i have tried multiple times as well, with no luck. i would love to get them disabled for short drives, any longer drives, i always wear it, but when i drive the couple of blocks to the store or something, I don't always wear it.

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
Ok just tested the manual process and it works. If you are looking at the indicator on the dash it still functions as normal even with the chime disabled. Here is what I did...

Entered car, sat in drivers seat.
Pressed the start button to power up accessories (DO NOT START the car)
Waited until the seat belt indicator on the dash goes out
Counted one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three, one thousand four, one thousand five, one thousand six
Insert belt into buckle, remove belt from buckle, Insert belt into buckle, remove belt from buckle, Insert belt into buckle, remove belt from buckle
Seat belt indicator on dash turns on
Insert belt into buckle, remove belt from buckle
Seat belt indicator on dash flashes
Wait until seat belt indicator stops flashing on dash and goes off
Shut off power
Open drivers door
Close drivers door
Wait for all dash and head unit items to power off completely
Open drivers door
Close drivers door
Start car and test drive without seat belt.

This process worked for me and the seat belt dash indicator went off after about 30-45 seconds.

To re-enable the chime complete the process again.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ok just tested the manual process and it works. If you are looking at the indicator on the dash it still functions as normal even with the chime disabled. Here is what I did...

Entered car, sat in drivers seat.
Pressed the start button to power up accessories (DO NOT START the car)
Waited until the seat belt indicator on the dash goes out
Counted one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three, one thousand four, one thousand five, one thousand six
Insert belt into buckle, remove belt from buckle, Insert belt into buckle, remove belt from buckle, Insert belt into buckle, remove belt from buckle
Seat belt indicator on dash turns on
Insert belt into buckle, remove belt from buckle
Seat belt indicator on dash flashes
Wait until seat belt indicator stops flashing on dash and goes off
Shut off power
Open drivers door
Close drivers door
Wait for all dash and head unit items to power off completely
Open drivers door
Close drivers door
Start car and test drive without seat belt.

This process worked for me and the seat belt dash indicator went off after about 30-45 seconds.

To re-enable the chime complete the process again.
I thought this was a joke....

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
No the joke was the Honda with a Fart Muffler that pulled up on me... Now THAT was a joke!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks oreo. I tried the way you explained with no luck. Ill give it a couple more trys before i try using forscan.

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
Make sure you note that setting value BEFORE changing so you can put it back if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is there an new way to do this other than using forscan? It worked perfectly and I have been enjoying this option but 2 nights ago it seems the car got some update and now the radio shuts off until I put my seatbelt on and the old process no longer works. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Is there an new way to do this other than using forscan? It worked perfectly and I have been enjoying this option but 2 nights ago it seems the car got some update and now the radio shuts off until I put my seatbelt on and the old process no longer works. Thanks in advance.

Some of us couldn't even get the old way to work...

·
Registered
7 Posts
what about removing/disconnecting the IPC? would the vehicle still operate otherwise?

where is the IPC? does the sound come from the stereo speakers or another transducer that could be unplugged?

·
Registered
304 Posts

That almost sounds like MyKey got enabled somehow and you don't have the admin key. That will mute your radio until your seat belt is fastened, and also usually limit your top speed and I think a few other things. Max radio volume is 60 percent I think, etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,337 Posts
what about removing/disconnecting the IPC? would the vehicle still operate otherwise?

where is the IPC? does the sound come from the stereo speakers or another transducer that could be unplugged?
Why would you remove the IPC? It's definitely needed for the car to work... The IPC is the Instrument Panel Cluster.

The IPC can generate its own sounds as a sort-of "back up", but the proper functioning method is the IPC passes it's sounds to the ACM to play through the front audio speakers. If you were to remove the ability for the IPC plays sounds, that would stop all chimes, not just for the seat belts... which isn't a wise choice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for indicating what IPC stands for, and yes, I likely need the IPC for other reasons.

Back to my original question, Do you or anyone know how to stop the noises? cut a wire? Chewing gum in a piezo buzzer? It wouldn't be so annoying if there was a different sound for each "problem", We've had the electronics technology for several decades now...

Or, Maybe I'm too intelligent and having to go through ALL the steps required to keep the racket from happening is the problem? Hmm, how to reduce my IQ? OH, MJ is legal in this state, yeah... not gonna happen (MJ not IQ)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thank you for indicating what IPC stands for, and yes, I likely need the IPC for other reasons.

Back to my original question, Do you or anyone know how to stop the noises? cut a wire? Chewing gum in a piezo buzzer? It wouldn't be so annoying if there was a different sound for each "problem", We've had the electronics technology for several decades now...

Or, Maybe I'm too intelligent and having to go through ALL the steps required to keep the racket from happening is the problem? Hmm, how to reduce my IQ? OH, MJ is legal in this state, yeah... not gonna happen (MJ not IQ)
Hi @Testriderchuck you don't "likely" need the IPC for other reasons, you absolutely need it. Removing it would definitely make the car very unsafe, and I would guess may even just shut it down because if the PCM and BCM detect there's no IPC I can see that might cause the whole thing to just shut down for safety reasons, not sure. I don't know that anyone's ever tried it. I wouldn't recommend it.

If you're looking to stop the seat belt chimes though, that's doable through Forscan. Whether or not it's a good idea is your call, but of course the chimes are there for safety reasons and there are obviously legal risks involved in removing them. It's your car but I left mine enabled. I know some people on here have disabled them though, and that's their decision. But Forscan is how they did it.

I won't comment on your guess as to what the problem is, in your last few sentences there. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like I'll try the ForScan lite on my phone. If I could find a suitable ELM327 locally... Prolly ebay tho.

Could something like this also be used on a 2007 ish Chrysler? I could hope...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts