Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tons of ice covered streets & sidewalks around here today. Was above freezing yesterday with lots of snow left on the ground that began melting, and promptly froze this morning. Now it's well below freezing and will be for another week :(. The FS was badass in the snow, but with ice things can quickly go wrong.

Guy almost slid out in front of me on the way to work. Then I almost scuffed up my Sport at lunch. Driveway is pretty steep and is completely covered in ice. Got about half way up, and the FS tires said no more. Angled itself slightly as it lost forward momentum, and slid all the way back into the street, ignoring my attempts of steering, throttle and brakes. Missed collecting my mailbox by inches.

Be safe out there!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah, on glare ice nothing short of studded tires is going to help you, no matter what you're driving. AWD can move the power around to find traction, but if there's none to be had, that's that. In that situation in particular I doubt winter tires would have made much difference. They are significantly better in snow though, which is what we who live up north drive around in most often.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Actually, something like a Blizzak would help in exactly that condition. The tires have more sipes (the tiny cuts in the treads) to put pressure on the ice over a smaller area, which may allow it to melt slightly just like the blade of a skate does (only if the temperature is near freezing) and the rubber has little air bubbles in it which are supposed to act like little suction cups. Blizzaks have been on all my performance cars in the winter since 1985 and they've saved my bacon on ice more than once. The all seasons on the FS seem pretty good, surprisingly, for traction, but I will replace them with dedicated summer and winter tires before next year...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Actually, something like a Blizzak would help in exactly that condition. The tires have more sipes (the tiny cuts in the treads) to put pressure on the ice over a smaller area, which may allow it to melt slightly just like the blade of a skate does (only if the temperature is near freezing) and the rubber has little air bubbles in it which are supposed to act like little suction cups. Blizzaks have been on all my performance cars in the winter since 1985 and they've saved my bacon on ice more than once. The all seasons on the FS seem pretty good, surprisingly, for traction, but I will replace them with dedicated summer and winter tires before next year...
The zig zag grooves in winter tires can give just enough cut to give you traction at low speed. Drove the Cobra home in an ice storm back in the day. Was one of few cars that didn't get stuck at a light with an incline.

Running a winter setup on both the fusion and edge.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I am running Blizzaks here in Wisconsin and the only issue I had yesterday was speeding up to make it into an intersection before a red light, when I hit the brakes the ABS were working hard.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Methinks, "driving on egg shells" mode for FS be handy? The Blizzaks, in my experience, with a "light" foot are amazing!

Reactions: RockinZ28

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Pictures paaaaaaaleaase!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Awesome, how's it handle with wider tires in the snow? And where'd you get mud flaps from?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
@pjax513 where you hiding. I haven't seen ya yet on the roads.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well those tires are only about 3/8" wider than the stock ones, I can't tell any difference at all.

I drove thru 8" of unplowed snow with these tires and I had no problem with traction.

Mudflaps are right from Ford. They fit great and require drilling only a couple holes (into plastic). Not super-easy to install, but they are pretty nice. Rear DS7Z-16A550-CA, Front DS7Z-16A550-AA. I got both sets for about $90 total on Amazon, and I have seen them for about $100 from one of the online ford parts dealers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No, just stock all seasons.

Hoping this will be my last winter in a place that gets this cold :).
Yeah i tried these same all seasons once on a icy road and they are pretty bad. I now have the GoodYear UltraGrip ICE wrt and it's night and day. I live in Quebec so i don't really have the choice ;)

Even with these winter tires... ice is always a problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I run Toy G3Ice studded. The FFS has excellent ice and snow handling with these. Snow tires were a real pain in the a** to find at first, the FFS requires a huge tire to clear the brakes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I drove thru 8" of unplowed snow with these tires and I had no problem with traction.
You are modest about your skill at driving in ice/snow with an imaginary egg shell between you, the accelerator, the brake pedal and oh so delicate steering! Kudos! If you have a chance to observe front to rear power-to-ground balance, that would be of interest to me. While I grew up in the Snow Belt (used chains alot!), I now live in the Sun Belt.

Reactions: Bill G
1 - 20 of 23 Posts