Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brakes have gotten a bad rap on some reviews I've read. And I felt a bit jipped getting the Contis instead of GYs. But they both got tested good today when a dump truck blew through a stop sign in front of me. This car stopped on a dime from about 40-45 mph.

On a side note, the horn and my middle finger also are fully functional too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Size wise, the brakes are the same size as my Mustang's with Brembos, just less pistons in the front and unvented rears. Pedal feel is the biggest difference when I compare the Mustang to the Fusion. Weight and tires are the only real limiting difference for a single panic stop... I think the brakes are excellent considering the car obviously wasn't designed to perform on a track. Lot's of upgrades needed if you have dump trucks running stop signs every block and are running full throttle between each one.

Reactions: SludgeFactory

·
Registered
246 Posts
yeah, I've had to do a couple panic stops and have yet to come anywhere near hitting anything. (and the sport is nimble enough to dodge pretty much anything it can't brake for) To me its just the linearityof the brake application, not even the pedal travel. After coming from a car with a long travel, but a very linear progression, this car feels a little off. I like the longer travel, it makes it easier to modulate, but only if it correlates directly with the brake application... In the sport it seems like more of an exponential relationship, with not enough braking in the first half, and too much in the second, building abruptly to the end.

I've never driven it hard enough to elicit fade, so I can't speak to that.

I think the brakes are up to the standards set by the chassis, suspension, and transmission.

Now, if the whole of the car performed to the capabilities of it's engine..., then bigger and stronger brakes would definitely be in order.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The brakes have gotten a bad rap on some reviews I've read. And I felt a bit jipped getting the Contis instead of GYs. But they both got tested good today when a dump truck blew through a stop sign in front of me. This car stopped on a dime from about 40-45 mph.

On a side note, the horn and my middle finger also are fully functional too.
Just to share my experience with braking system as well..

Sludge, I was in a certain situation where I had to "slam" my brakes at around 45-50 MPH (didn't see speedometer). ABS did NOT kick in and my tire(s) screeched for about 15 feet. Due to evasive maneuvering, I was lucky I only had to stop about 5 MPH then I was able to let my foot off the brakes, but still. Pavement was fully dry. I have the GY's and about 650 miles on the car/tires/brakes.

I do want to test the ABS system, but I definitely do NOT want to create any flat spots on these brand new tires (hope there isn't a flat spot already. Don't think there is, I don't feel any abnormality's while driving). I'm thinking I wait till it rains and test in a safe area.

Reactions: SludgeFactory

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah they're good enough for me to stop on time when some guy slammed on his brakes in front of me for no reason. They're also better than the Land Rover's brakes that rear ended me after the fact. Luckily I let off the brakes when I saw the LR coming and barely got bumped for just a small paint chip that's not even noticeable.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the sport it seems like more of an exponential relationship, with not enough braking in the first half, and too much in the second, building abruptly to the end.
I prefer a "soft" brake (some might call it mushy) like this car, but I think that's just because that's what I am used to. I come from "comfy" cars and this is my first "performance" car. The brake feels about the same as my Lexus SUV.

When I rent a car with a stiff brake, I can barely make it out of the parking garage without giving myself whiplash.

Reactions: Vert and Oreo

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
I prefer a "soft" brake (some might call it mushy) like this car, but I think that's just because that's what I am used to. I come from "comfy" cars and this is my first "performance" car. The brake feels about the same as my Lexus SUV.

When I rent a car with a stiff brake, I can barely make it out of the parking garage without giving myself whiplash.
I'm the same way - I like soft, sensitive brakes, all the Fords I've owned & driven are like that. When I drive other cars I don't press the pedal as much as I should so I find myself almost rolling through stop signs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm the same way - I like soft, sensitive brakes, all the Fords I've owned & driven are like that. When I drive other cars I don't press the pedal as much as I should so I find myself almost rolling through stop signs.
Thats how it is for me in this car. my five hundred had just as much pedal travel as this car, but the application was consistent with travel. I find myself rolling up to stops way too fast in the sport since the first half of the pedal doesn't do much, then they really jam on when I give them a further stab to actually get to a stop.

I like that the pedals aren't the springboards that that a lot of other new cars have that gives you whiplash, but by the same token, I wish the nice "mushy" travel they give you was more useful for modulating the brakes

Reactions: RYSFZN

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
Speaking of which, does anyone know if the brakes are "drive by wire" (like throttle) or fully mechanical?
As far as I know, Ford only uses brake-by-wire on the Hybrid models. 99% sure on that. Someone correct me otherwise.

·
Registered
176 Posts
For everyday driving, they are ok for aggressive driving or in the performance world ,they are marginal at best. They need better calipers and rotors, and also braided brake lines to increase pedal pressure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts