Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought i remembered the salesman in his big line of bull, say something about the car not rolling back on hills. Yesterday i had to stop for a truck on a very steep road maybe 45 degrees. While still in drive i released the brake and sure enough i rolled back about fifty feet with my foot on the throttle. I'm not sure how it happened, with the radio on and the engine so quiet, but i had to hold the brake, put it in park and restart the engine. I think it must have stalled while i was rolling back in drive. This was the first time i noticed this and haven't tried it again.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I thought i remembered the salesman in his big line of bull, say something about the car not rolling back on hills. Yesterday i had to stop for a truck on a very steep road maybe 45 degrees. While still in drive i released the brake and sure enough i rolled back about fifty feet with my foot on the throttle. I'm not sure how it happened, with the radio on and the engine so quiet, but i had to hold the brake, put it in park and restart the engine. I think it must have stalled while i was rolling back in drive. This was the first time i noticed this and haven't tried it again.
Our Ford Edge had the roll back feature also. Once you stop on a hill going up leave it in drive and apply the brakes. Take your foot off of the brakes and they stay applied for a short time, maybe 10 seconds or so. As soon as you apply the accelerator the brakes release. It worked for me. The hill I tried it on was not 45% but maybe 30%.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My FoST had that. Hill Start Assist is what I believe it's actually called. I know it's activated on my FuSpo and I've not had that issue you encountered. Might be worth trying again on an isolated road. If it continues, definitely get it checked. That's not sounding right.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm still trying to think of why it would stall out or not let any throttle input through. Rolling back 50 feet is a good distance.

Try to re-create the situation again and if it happens, take it back to the dealership because something is definitely wrong.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is it possible your gas tank was low and lost suction, that would explain the stall and with no engine power vacuum the roll back? Just a thought...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it possible your gas tank was low and lost suction, that would explain the stall and with no engine power vacuum the roll back? Just a thought...

My tank was full. The only reason i went back so far was i had to get out of the way of the truck coming down and since i was moving backward, i didn't stop and put it in reverse. I'm going to try it again and see what happens.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried it today and the hill start assist works. For about 3 seconds, then it rolls back. It did not stall though you do have to turn your dial out of D and then back to it. As far as stalling, I don't know why unless I tapped the start button by mistake while looking behind me to back down the hill. One thing for sure is if you're gonna back up, put it in reverse. You can't slow your backward motion with the throttle after a certain distance.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sound like your system is working as normal.

Hill start assist is not like hill holder. My old Subaru with manual trans would hold the brake until the clutch was released. The Ford system will only holds it for a few seconds.

Pg 176
When the system is active, your vehicle will
remain stationary on the slope for two to
three seconds after you release the brake
pedal. This allows you time to move your
foot from the brake to the accelerator
pedal. The brakes release automatically
when the engine has sufficient torque to
prevent your vehicle from rolling down the
grade. This is an advantage when pulling
away on a slope, for example from a car
park ramp, traffic lights or when reversing
uphill into a parking space.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Now I'm gonna have to test it out.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
If you roll back while in drive it will kill the engine. Once the tranny starts spinning the wrong way fast enough it engages the torque converter and stalls the engine. Every auto I've ever tried it in does the same thing.

I did notice the hill assist working once while I was waiting on a hill. I started to let off the brakes, then after a few seconds I felt the pedal release and push back against my foot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts