Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Da fuq over?

1400 miles, already got 4 chips on the hood down to base coat/metal. One about 5 in up, another a ft up, one near the middle and one right before the windshield. Thing is going to look like complete crap after a year. Don't follow closely or behind trucks etc.

Haven't noticed a single one on the front end either.

Unlucky, or you guys noticing the same? This is my first new car, never really paid too much attention to detail on my prior vehicles.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have one chip in the middle of my hood. It either was there when i bought it or i got it on the way home from the dealer. I never had good luck with touchup paints over the years. I also tried those chip kits with the factory codes. Ended up getting the hood painted on my last car. I know it's hard but try to forget about them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have one chip in the middle of my hood. It either was there when i bought it or i got it on the way home from the dealer. I never had good luck with touchup paints over the years. I also tried those chip kits with the factory codes. Ended up getting the hood painted on my last car. I know it's hard but try to forget about them.
Yea I was pissed at the first one. The last 3 are annoying but kinda meh, it's already tainted, move on.

I got the Motorcraft touch up pen thing from a Ford dealer. Just kinda dabbed the touch up paint into the chip lightly with a toothpick, and repeated a few times. Not perfect, but hard to spot unless you know it's there (which I do of course :mad:) Mainly don't want them to expand/rust.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You guys ever go to a professional detailer? I think on some detailing forum there was some long detailed process where a lot of products were needed, but in the end the problem area was flawless. Spending the bit extra could go a long way, especially if you want to maintain value over the long haul.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys ever go to a professional detailer? I think on some detailing forum there was some long detailed process where a lot of products were needed, but in the end the problem area was flawless. Spending the bit extra could go a long way, especially if you want to maintain value over the long haul.
Looked at a number of techniques/guides online. I'm sure someone with experience could make it look near flawless, but at the rate I'm going it would probably be cheaper to just repaint it before selling :crying:. Doubt even that would give you a net positive on value anyway, unless you know someone that could do it near material cost.

Hmm, wonder who rents Ford Fusions. "It HAS to be silver or I'm not renting dam it!" >:)

·
Registered
868 Posts
That sucks to hear! Makes me kind of glad mine came with the whole 3M clear bra package..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sucks to hear! Makes me kind of glad mine came with the whole 3M clear bra package..
Doesn't the 3M bra only cover the first 8" of the hood? If so would have only saved me from 1 of the chips.

Think I'd be furious if I paid for the package and still got these chips.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That would be ridiculously unfortunate if you had installed the 3M bra and got chips all over the un-protected areas !

That's why I'm always fond of doing complete panels. There's that and you don't get that ugly cut-off line.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I wouldn't say pretty easily. I posses no talent whatsoever when it comes to that and the fusion sport hood looks like it has a fair amount of lines

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I could go back, probably would have just purchased a large bulk sheet for the hood. Although the material itself is pretty pricey, especially in large dimensions. Of course if I did the hood, the front end would be littered with chips instead lol.

Installed clear bras on RV's when I was younger. Could be a real pain in the ass at times.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I wouldn't say pretty easily. I posses no talent whatsoever when it comes to that and the fusion sport hood looks like it has a fair amount of lines
It does have lines, but nothing overly sharp or intricate like the front facia. The hood should be pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Mine has a 3m protective kit that was dealer installed and it goes about 12-16" up on the hood. Still happy that I got it for free. I hate rock chips...

·
Registered
188 Posts
For free, you really can't go wrong. That definitely is a good amount going up as well so you should be good. Just keep an eye on it and try to keep it nice and clean :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
I was inspecting mine this afternoon and I caught one something that definitely got all up in the 3m... it's already doing it's job...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Cleaned and inspected my car...

I think I already have more paint chips since October then I had in 5 and a half years in my last car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This paint does seem pretty weak sauce. I'm pretty careful when I dry my car after washing them and I managed to put a few superficial scratches on it.

I got perma plate (regretfully) and it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I'm going to seal and wax it pretty soon and I hope this helps...

The paint on my 2006 Focus ST was pretty resilient; I don't have the same prognosis for the FuSpo.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts