Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, on my 2014 Fusion I could control some functions of AC from the steering wheel. As far as I can tell this has been removed with Sync 3. I pulled the supplement material and it only mentions navigation and phone. Kind of makes the screen useless in my opinion.

Is anyone else seeing the same setup?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yep, Nav, Phone and Audio.

However, I find myself using voice commands a lot more than in my 2012 or 2015 Edge. The Sync3 system final gets it right.
Now that cold weather is here I wish it had a hard switch or voice command to turn on/off the heated steering wheel. Why they made the "sound" setting hard switch it beyond me. It's a set for forget setting.
-Lee

·
Registered
296 Posts
Wasted screen. So many better options. Not to mention that you really don't need it.

·
Registered
451 Posts

However, I find myself using voice commands a lot more than in my 2012 or 2015 Edge. The Sync3 system final gets it right.
Now that cold weather is here I wish it had a hard switch or voice command to turn on/off the heated steering wheel. Why they made the "sound" setting hard switch it beyond me. It's a set for forget setting.
-Lee
What was the first Edge model to have Sync 3? I guess 2015 didn't have it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

-Lee
Ditto on the steering wheel heat.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I hate the right screen. I wish I could put fuel milage or awd info on it, or really any of the left screen functions. The only thing I would use it for is navigation, since down in front of the tach is where I used to put my GPS in my last car, but I don't have navigation in my Sport so I literally never look at it. that and I barely ever use a GPS in the first place. I change it between phone and audio just to change the color sometimes. kinda sad... total waste of space.

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
You can add the functionality back programming it with FORScan. The 2GFusions forum has an extensive 'how-to' thread on it. I added the compass (I don't have Nav) and the climate controls back. Took me 2 minutes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I happen to like the right screen. I have my nav up on the center screen most of the time, so having the audio on the right dash screen is nice if I want to know what song is on or something like that. I'll be checking out this Forscan thing though. Sounds interesting.

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
While I do like having both screens, I do agree that missing two of the options is annoying. I usually have music displayed on it as well, but when using Android Auto for nav it just says "Bluetooth Media" or whatever, so I usually switch it to the climate since I am always adjusting that and its easier to just do it with the wheel controls. But yes, definitely read up on FORScan, I love fiddling with things I shouldn't be. ;)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I read the write up on forscan a while back, and it didn't seem to bad. I have a couple questions. Can you make those same types of changes using an iPhone? Or do you really need a Laptop or something running windows? I guess I could always take my work laptop home and do some personal things on it like this.

Other question, can you completely screw everything up if you don't do this properly?

·
Registered
624 Posts
You can add the functionality back programming it with FORScan. The 2GFusions forum has an extensive 'how-to' thread on it. I added the compass (I don't have Nav) and the climate controls back. Took me 2 minutes.
Glad you mentioned this. My wife's 16 Explorer with my Ford touch has the option of compass on the right screen. It was really pissing me off that my Ford touch has more options than my sync 3. What exactly do you mean in regards to climate controls back?

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
I had a similar program for my Passat. Looking forward to testing a few things out!
Yes, this is very similar to VAGcom/VCDS. Hex block programming, full module access, diagnostics, and running self-tests or resetting adaption. Biggest difference really is you don't need a $300 cable, haha.

I read the write up on forscan a while back, and it didn't seem to bad. I have a couple questions. Can you make those same types of changes using an iPhone? Or do you really need a Laptop or something running windows? I guess I could always take my work laptop home and do some personal things on it like this.

Other question, can you completely screw everything up if you don't do this properly?
They have a Lite version of the FORScan app for iPhone, you can access the diagnostics and monitors, but that's really it. Coding does need to be done from a laptop or Windows tablet. Heck, get one of those cheap $50 Windows 8 ones if you need to.
Yeah you can screw things up if you go too far or don't know what you're doing, but I don't think you can break a module completely. Just make sure you make a backup of the AsBuilt configurations before touching each module. But if you use the pre-set options and stick to what forum members tell you you will be completely fine, the program yells at you if a digit is bad or if the car won't accept it. Heads up if you start using it - don't be scared when the lights flicker or something, the modules will restart really quickly.

Glad you mentioned this. My wife's 16 Explorer with my Ford touch has the option of compass on the right screen. It was really pissing me off that my Ford touch has more options than my sync 3. What exactly do you mean in regards to climate controls back?
On the right screen, "Climate" use to be (and now for me, it is) an option. You can adjust the fan speed as well as the temperature from the steering controls.

This is what I have now:

Reactions: MattQ

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sweet! Very interesting that those functions are "hidden" so to speak, in there. I'm completely ignorant to forscan, Wouldn't Ford have to have programmed that screen in order for you to "access/change" it with FORScan? Any forum recommendations to get ideas/information about possible changes?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
They have a Lite version of the FORScan app for iPhone, you can access the diagnostics and monitors, but that's really it. Coding does need to be done from a laptop or Windows tablet. Heck, get one of those cheap $50 Windows 8 ones if you need to.
Yeah you can screw things up if you go too far or don't know what you're doing, but I don't think you can break a module completely. Just make sure you make a backup of the AsBuilt configurations before touching each module. But if you use the pre-set options and stick to what forum members tell you you will be completely fine, the program yells at you if a digit is bad or if the car won't accept it. Heads up if you start using it - don't be scared when the lights flicker or something, the modules will restart really quickly.
As much as I really want to do this, it just freaks me out that if I do something wrong I could mess it up. I would love to add options to that right screen. I would like to just go in, and add all options to both screens and let me go through them and figure out what I would want to run with.

·
Banned
249 Posts
Sweet! Very interesting that those functions are "hidden" so to speak, in there. I'm completely ignorant to forscan, Wouldn't Ford have to have programmed that screen in order for you to "access/change" it with FORScan? Any forum recommendations to get ideas/information about possible changes?
Majority of Fords stuff is mass programmed, it's cheaper to install software for various vehicles and then just input coding for the options than it is to install specifics for each car. For instance, on my Edge (sync2) I can change my APIM (the 8in stereo display) to that of the Focus Hybrid. and When my edge starts, the display is a currently a lincoln start up screen. also, disabled the annoying double honk when car is on and you take the fob with you. disabled the door ajar sound, disabled all parking lights when using remote start....and various other odds and ends

·
Registered
331 Posts
After modding my cheap Panlong ELM327 bluetooth adapter to have access to the MS-BUS along with the HS-BUS, changed a few things around myself...

Climate controls now on right display.
Fog lights on with high beams.
No double-horn when leaving the car with the keys while the car is running.
Accessory outlet is on for 6 hours instead of 1 hour and change.

I did enable the Navigation panel temporarily to see what it did, and it's just a compass. As much as I like having a compass on the screen, it would bother me showing "Navigation" the whole time, so I removed it (plus it shows the direction on the same screen already).

Forscan has a heck of a learning curve, even more so with the lack of info out there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts