Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a pic of the resonator swapped with an X pipe. Can’t seem to find one in the threads.

·
Registered
559 Posts
My OEM resonator spontaneously split open like a potato chip bag, so I swapped in a non-resonated X-pipe. It was very inexpensive but I couldn’t stand the tone (tinny and loud in the cabin) and interior resonance. I ordered a MagnaFlow resonated X-pipe that weekend and had it replaced within the week. Great sound and no interior resonance. Note that at the time my exhaust was otherwise 100% OEM except for 3” catted downpipes. I liked it so much I kept the MagnaFlow when I replaced the entire exhaust with 2.5” mandrel bent stainless.

Reactions: usmcwo1 and Fuze918

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My OEM resonator spontaneously split open like a potato chip bag, so I swapped in a non-resonated X-pipe. It was very inexpensive but I couldn’t stand the tone (tinny and loud in the cabin) and interior resonance. I ordered a MagnaFlow resonated X-pipe that weekend and had it replaced within the week. Great sound and no interior resonance. Note that at the time my exhaust was otherwise 100% OEM except for 3” catted downpipes. I liked it so much I kept the MagnaFlow when I replaced the entire exhaust with 2.5” mandrel bent stainless.
Do you have a link or part number for the magnaflow x pipe you went with?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I bought the MagnaFlow with 2.5” in 2.5” out even though it was too big for the stock exhaust because I always planned to upgrade the whole system. As you can see in the pictures, this turned out to be less than ideal for a while until I found a shop that could do a proper job. The shop I originally used were friends of the family and it turned out they weren’t up to the task. I trusted them and didn’t check their work which was a mistake. I can’t remember if OEM is 2.0” or 2.25” or if it was the same inlet as outlet. Be sure to know that before you order anything (unless you have a trusted exhaust shop to do it for you) if you’re not planning to replace the exhaust before the back axle, you’d have to find the right size. Google MagnaFlow resonated stainless Xpipe. Numerous options to buy from. Even though I live 30 minutes from Summit Racing Equipment, I chose to buy via Amazon because I got it delivered to my door for $85 versus driving an hour round trip and waiting at the counter who knows how long for $126!

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
The one's that have done it, regret it and then change it.

Xpipe hurts performance on these cars.

If you want to replace the resonator go with 2 bottle style mufflers in the middle and 2 mufflers at the back before the exhaust pipe exits

·
Registered
559 Posts
I ended up with the MagnaFlow resonated X-pipe, two Moroso Spiral Flow resonators, and two Walker turbo mufflers w/dual outlets. All 2.5” from the collectors to the bumper. The correct size Moroso’s only came in polished finish in stainless if you’re wondering.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The one's that have done it, regret it and then change it.

Xpipe hurts performance on these cars.

If you want to replace the resonator go with 2 bottle style mufflers in the middle and 2 mufflers at the back before the exhaust pipe exits
How does it hurt performance. Anything else i’ve read on here nobody mentions that. I’m new to this, and just trying to make my sport a little louder, without a lot of drone.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The plain X-pipe will definitely be a bad sound - first hand experience. But even with all I’ve got on mine, there is significant resonance inside the car; vibration you can feel and see in the mirrors at various rpms and engine loads. I’m leaning heavily to the drag strip performance side of the noise/comfort equation but I’m still picky about the quality of tone, level of loudness, resonance both inside and outside, and drone. I’ve accepted the trade-off and grown accustomed to it. My car is no longer the quiet, sophisticated sedan it was originally. I get complaints about the noise levels from my mom, my wife, and both girlfriends.

·
Registered
559 Posts
This is me...

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
The stock exhaust is a restrictive 2.25in system.

Also highly recommend staying away from the Borla Axleback primarily because of that reason...the Borla system is 2.25in as well

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wouldn't say a 2.25" pipe moving exhaust from 3 cylinders making about 150hp is restrictive. Those on here making big hp with upgraded turbos, sure. But certainly not with stock turbos.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Shawnski, do you have any sound clips? The setup sounds interesting. I'm not looking to touch the exhaust at all. Maybe when I was a few decades younger I'd do it, but now I don't want my vehicle to attract any attention.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If I could get the tone I have with my 13 2.0 eco only in a V-6 flavor, I'd be happy. Wouldn't be hard to replicate either, end up with something very similar to what Shawnski has under his with the exception of the mufflers in the back. I have a Magnaflow 2.5 back to a chambered muffler side ways like the stock one, then 2.25 out the ends into dual tips like the Sport has. I got lucky, my old boss had a Sport bumper out in the back building, got it for free. :) only thing I changed was I got rid of the little resonator in the middle and replaced it with the 6 inch by 28 SS straight through muffler, also Magnaflow. Has a nice tone at idle, no drone at all. not loud when casing the local neighborhood, but get in it and it sounds nice. Not that tin can sound the Honda's produce that hurts my ears every time I hear one, LOL.

Reactions: Shawnski

·
Registered
158 Posts
Shawnski, do you have any sound clips? The setup sounds interesting. I'm not looking to touch the exhaust at all. Maybe when I was a few decades younger I'd do it, but now I don't want my vehicle to attract any attention.
Not sure if you are aware or not but there's a thread on here dedicated to exhaust sound. You might find your answer here.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I wouldn't say a 2.25" pipe moving exhaust from 3 cylinders making about 150hp is restrictive. Those on here making big hp with upgraded turbos, sure. But certainly not with stock turbos.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
I'm not evening going to take the time to explain how this is inaccurate...just a simple search on Google will answer how big of a restriction 2.25in exhaust is compared to even a 2.5in or bigger...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts