Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all know, many of the Ford dealers love to "install" free swirls into the paint of every car they sale.

However, I prefer swirl free paint, so I spent the morning removing them.

For this job, I used a generic off the shelf random orbiter, (this is good for newbies because it is supposed to reduce the chance of burning)

step 1) Hand Clean and Dry to Remove and dirt, old wax, ect.
step 2) Rotary Apply High Speed - Meguiar's DFP6 6" DA Foam Polishing Disc + Meguiar's M105 Mirror Glaze Ultra-Cut Compound
step 3) Microfiber Remove
step 4) Rotary Apply High/Medium Speed - Meguiar's DFF6 6" DA Foam Finishing Disc + Meguiar's M205 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish
step 5) Microfiber Remove
step 6) Rotary Apply Low Speed - Meguiar's DFF6 6" DA Foam Finishing Disc + Meguiar's M26 Mirror Glaze Hi-Tech Yellow Wax
step 7) Microfiber Remove
step 8) Microfiber Apply - Ammo Creme Reflection Paste
step 9) Microfiber Remove

Attachments

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Looks great and for those who haven't done it, its a lot of work. I use a harbor freight high speed buffer and my only issue is I always use too much material and sling it everywhere.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Looks really, really nice..

What would you use to remove the swirls and scratches on the black panels between the front and back doors???

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks really, really nice..

What would you use to remove the swirls and scratches on the black panels between the front and back doors???

I didn't really play around too much with the B pillars, they aren't that bad for me right now.

Though after watching that Ammo video, maybe i'll try it tomorrow and let you know what worked for me.

Probably do everything you would for regular paint, but skip the M105 cutting step, since it is a softer material.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ordered my car so I asked them before it arrived if the car wash that was included with dealer prep was brushless. They said no so I told them that I did not want the wash. I have had to wait at least 90 days but now I am ready to clay bar and apply a sealant and wax. No swirls to remove.

Reactions: cockerdogs and 1153

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered my car so I asked them before it arrived if the car wash that was included with dealer prep was brushless. They said no so I told them that I did not want the wash. I have had to wait at least 90 days but now I am ready to clay bar and apply a sealant and wax. No swirls to remove.
This would be fantastic advise to anyone looking to buy a new car.

1. Leave the plastic on
2. Don't get a car wash from the dealer...

Also, don't ever get a car wash from the dealer during service either!

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
This would be fantastic advise to anyone looking to buy a new car.

1. Leave the plastic on
2. Don't get a car wash from the dealer...

Also, don't ever get a car wash from the dealer during service either!
This is exactly what I do. When mine showed up, I pulled the plastic, and they didn't wash it at all. They did the mechanical stuff, but I told them that was it. They were not to touch the inside or outside of the car, including putting on the dealership sticker and the front license plate.

·
Registered
626 Posts
What product is being used for washing prior to buffing?
I always use Dawn,(Flame suit on), just because I know it removed the
grease and oils form the surface.
I've tried Isopropyl alcohol but it just adds another step in the process that I feel is accomplished with Dawn.
The last time I used car soap before detailing I ended up with greasy/oily pads.
I know Dawn is harsh but I feel the detailing process reverses any issues the Dawn causes.

Tip, if you want a really squeaky clean windshield, wet it first and squirt Dawn on 0000 steel wool, cleans anything off and gets rid of the oily windshield.
I apply Rain X after.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Dawn works well if you want to pull everything off of it including the wax and sealant that was on the car. Since you are talking about buffing, that is fine. Your other options are wash normally and clay bar it. Claying will pull everything off the car as well.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Dawn works well if you want to pull everything off of it including the wax and sealant that was on the car. Since you are talking about buffing, that is fine. Your other options are wash normally and clay bar it. Claying will pull everything off the car as well.

Exactly, I want to remove everything before I detail, I'm restoring it anyway.
I never thought about Dawn being less potent, but it makes sense, they probably save a ton
of money not using all the extra chemicals.

If it's been a while, I do clay bar too, just so I don't have to use too aggressive of a compound and risk having to step down with a polish, that's why I like the all in one, not aggressive and no extra polishing steps.

Wash with Dawn
Clay bar
All in one polish
Wax

1 - 11 of 11 Posts