Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,728 Posts
Well and the fact that they only put them in 17 and 18's far as I know your not gonna see a lot of aftermarket stuff to work with them. I think 18's were hit n miss to, Ford figured out that it was just waste of money and stopped with them. I can't say I ever seen them in any other kind of car, and we work on a lot of different ones back then.
They've been available in other Fords since the 2011 model year tho. Still weren't crazy popular, but they've definitely been around for a while.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Super Moderator
1,728 Posts
I dont know what an inflatable belt is.....but these work in my 17 FFS.
It's exactly what it sounds like... the seat belt itself is inflatable. There is an airbag inside to spread the force across the passenger's chest in a crash. They use a different buckle.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
540 Posts
Looks like my seatbelt assembly part is caught up at the Detroit / Windsor boarder. Could be awhile...

View attachment 29304
Definitely unfortunate that your stuff has been delayed, but it seems like the truckers are proving their point most succinctly.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have a personal story about crossing the border at that bridge. Let’s just say I am not a fan of the U.S. officers who man that post. I hope nothing bad happens.
<End off-topic post>

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Oh how things have changed. When we were kids in the mid 80's, we use to go over to Winsor and just drive around in the middle of the night, even bought gas over there one time. The whole liter thing threw us off, LOL. I can remember the guards asking what we were there for, we'd tell them just sight seeing, and they would send us on our way. An hour or two later we'd head back, the guy at the other end would ask pretty much the same thing, and we would explain what we were doing. They would laugh and wave us through, telling us to have a good night and drive safe. Those were fun times, being in your later teens. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think these are great cars but the rear seatbelts are the worst I've seen when using child seats. I've tried 4 different models and some of the narrowest on the market and OMG what a pain. Its almost like there was zero testing done by Ford on this car with child seats. My son is 7 and I still have to buckle him in everyday and even I struggle to do so. I use the passenger side which is worse because there's two latches side by side giving you even less room to snap the latch plate into. Its a width issue. I also have the inflatable belts not sure if this makes things worse vs regular seatbelts. Anyways after a couple years of struggling with this the other day the latch broke. Part of the plastic inside completely broke off rendering the seatbelt useless. Guessing this is due to the heavy pressure we put on it every time we buckle the seatbelt. That and its been very cold as of late so the plastic becomes somewhat brittle.

I also have a Ford Edge and have the same problem getting the seatbelt buckled so its definitely a Ford thing.

I read that seatbelts have a lifetime warranty does anybody know if that's true before I call Ford Canada?
I have the exact same problem. 2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium with the stupid inflatable seatbelts. Within three weeks of switching my daughter to a booster seat (from a regular car seat) a small plastic piece on the buckle on the rear seat belt broke. I moved her booster seat to the other side of the car (which is much less convenient), but really feels like that one is going to break soon. Extremely difficult to get her bucked in every day. I'd really like to replace the inflatable seat belts with regular seat belts. Anyone know if this is possible?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I have the exact same problem. 2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium with the stupid inflatable seatbelts. Within three weeks of switching my daughter to a booster seat (from a regular car seat) a small plastic piece on the buckle on the rear seat belt broke. I moved her booster seat to the other side of the car (which is much less convenient), but really feels like that one is going to break soon. Extremely difficult to get her bucked in every day. I'd really like to replace the inflatable seat belts with regular seat belts. Anyone know if this is possible?
I'm sure its possible. You need the entire rear seatbelt assembly. Could be a sensor issue also. Not sure the cost for brand new but the inflatable one was like $1,000 CDN. The non inflatable one should be much cheaper. Or find one at a wrecking lot used. Unless your mechanically inclined you'll need somebody to install it. I know the rear seat needs to come out.

Good luck and yes what horrible design by Ford with this. Very few have the inflatable belts so it hasn't become a big issue for them.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts