Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
540 Posts
Good thinking. One of these would help. Doubt they make one specific for this vehicle with the inflatable belt though. Found this pic of one.

View attachment 29250
Aw man, my old expedition used to have like 5 of those all clicked in together. I forgot about those!

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport 2.7L TT AWD
878 Posts
Just curious. Can you put the car seat in the center position in the rear seat and use that lap belt to secure the car seat?
Would not run into the issue with the inflatable belts.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just curious. Can you put the car seat in the center position in the rear seat and use that lap belt to secure the car seat?
Would not run into the issue with the inflatable belts.
Thought of that but there's no lower anchors in the middle and its even more narrow. That and I have my driver seat back almost max so space for his legs would be an issue. Which is also the main reason I don't put the seat behind the driver, no leg space. I basically only use this car the last two years to drive my kid to school and pick him up. We use the Edge for everything else so nobody ever sits in the Fusion's passenger seat so I can move it max forward and the kid has tons of space which makes buckling him up easier to.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Not covered under warranty due to damage according to my local dealer. (n)
Hi DL. I was afraid they may claim it was caused by "owner/occupant abuse or negligence" or something similar. Did you ask them to explain exactly how they felt a system designed to sustain high speed collision forces was damaged by you or your vehicle occupants? Do they feel you hit it with a hammer? :rolleyes:

I would recommend calling Ford Customer Relations and having your concerns formalized with an official report.

If you don't feel like fighting it, you could always purchase a new latch/anchor belt, remove the old one and bolt in the new one. Or if you want to go more inexpensively, search your local Salvage Yards for a suitable replacement.

Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hi DL. I was afraid they may claim it was caused by "owner/occupant abuse or negligence" or something similar. Did you ask them to explain exactly how they felt a system designed to sustain high speed collision forces was damaged by you or your vehicle occupants? Do they feel you hit it with a hammer? :rolleyes:

I would recommend calling Ford Customer Relations and having your concerns formalized with an official report.

If you don't feel like fighting it, you could always purchase a new latch/anchor belt, remove the old one and bolt in the new one. Or if you want to go more inexpensively, search your local Salvage Yards for a suitable replacement.

Good points I think I'll try Ford Canada tomorrow and see what they say. I'll update when I know more. Apricate the advice.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Yeah, I’d be saying it’s not covered too if I could charge nearly $1400 to repair it! Holy crap! And all three buckles and the inflators are combined in a package? Definitely worth taking it up the ladder.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hi DL. Yes, as Shawnski stated, I would inquire as to why all three buckles, inflatable belts etc. need to be replaced. It is simply a buckle and anchor strap replacement. All three buckles and inflatable belts should not need to be replaced for one broken buckle.

And replacing the buckle and anchor strap is a do it yourself job, if you are even slightly mechanically inclined. Even if you need to remove the rear seat bottom.

My advice: Go to another Ford Dealership as though you are fully expecting it to naturally be replaced under the SRS Warranty. Do not tell them about the child seat saga, or the warranty denial/estimate from the first Dealer. See what they say. If covered under warranty...great.
If they say it is not, get another estimate. Ask questions if they say all those parts need to be replaced for one broken buckle.

In the meantime you can also get a case opened with Ford Customer Relations.

·
Super Moderator
1,728 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
With the rear inflatable seat belts, the buckles are indeed one assembly. However, while the part isn't cheap, the dealer you went to is also increasing the price substantially above MSRP (at least for the US market): 2013-2020 Ford Buckle End HG9Z-5460044-AL | TascaParts.com
Hi DaMiFo. Good information. So now that we know the 3 rear buckles (and "pretensioner") are one single part, the question @DrunkLahey needs to ask would be...What are the "inflators" the first Dealer listed on that estimate?

Perhaps they confused "inflators" with "pretensioner"?

At least that makes a bit more sense, although as you said, they are still substantially marking up the price...not withstanding the US/Canadian exchange rate.

My opinion: Unless the Dealer can give a good reason that the damage was caused by negligence (accidental of course), there is still a good case that this should be covered under warranty.

Seeking warranty coverage from another Dealership would be a good idea.

If denied again, another estimate would be next. And I think finding a suitable Salvage Yard vehicle (with no inflatable seatbelt activation, to avoid seat belt buckle and pretensioner use/damage) might still be another option.

Just some thoughts.

PS - To DL. This my first time ever using the "@ so and so" tagging of someone...ever. 🤣😉

Reactions: DrunkLahey

·
Registered
921 Posts
Hi DL. Forgot to mention that you should still contact Ford Customer Relations if the warranty repair is denied again. Perhaps even contact them immediately, considering the first Dealer's denial.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hi DL. Forgot to mention that you should still contact Ford Customer Relations if the warranty repair is denied again. Perhaps even contact them immediately, considering the first Dealer's denial.

I've opened a case with Ford Canada they are contacting the dealer today to make a decision on this and Ford Canada will call me back tomorrow and let me know. Again, thx for all the advice.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
540 Posts
I don't think those will work with the inflatable belts. I could be wrong.
Yes, the clip is way different for the airbag belts. Much chunkier. I assume they have a circuit in the seat belt that allows the bags to deploy, which is probably why no aftermarket extensions have been developed yet.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Well and the fact that they only put them in 17 and 18's far as I know your not gonna see a lot of aftermarket stuff to work with them. I think 18's were hit n miss to, Ford figured out that it was just waste of money and stopped with them. I can't say I ever seen them in any other kind of car, and we work on a lot of different ones back then.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts