Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I had some 3M di-noc gloss black carbon fiber around from a project about 5 years ago I figured what the heck, might as well...

Tools:
Wrap
Xacto knife
Plastic squeegee
Hair dryer

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I am digging the rear strip done in carbon fiber. Seeing your close ups of the grill though, I am concerned with how well I can pull it off...

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am digging the rear strip done in carbon fiber. Seeing your close ups of the grill though, I am concerned with how well I can pull it off...
Yeah, it has some serious angles, which made it really tough. If I feel like taking the bumper off someday, I would probably plastidip it at that time as well, but I don't want to spray it on the car/bumper. I'd just want to remove the chrome strip from the grille and spray it and snap it back on.

Oh, also, the 3M di-noc carbon fiber vinyl was way thicker than the avery dennison matte black, so it was easier to heat up and I felt like I could manipulate it more before tearing it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it rained a ton and put 600+ miles on over the weekend and the 5 year old vinyl has pulled up a bit on the bottom of the chrome in one area. So looks like I'll be taking off the test strip. Not sure what will be next...

·
Registered
142 Posts
I might give this part a go and do it in white. I've got the platinum white or whatever it was called. Need to find a white that would match.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I might give this part a go and do it in white. I've got the platinum white or whatever it was called. Need to find a white that would match.
Is platinum white the metallic flake white? I have a 3M 1080 vinyl swatch set, I can look at it later tonight to see what I can recommend.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
So depending on what exactly you want, for satin it would be Satin Frozen Vanilla, 1080-SP240. They have a Gloss White Gold Sparkle, 1080-GP240, which as you can guess has a gold metallic in it. The brushed aluminum like ike mentioned is 1080-BR120.

Any other colors you want to know, just let me know.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How bout a metallic silver? Thinking aluminum-ish without the brush..

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
How bout a metallic silver? Thinking aluminum-ish without the brush..
Sorry for the delay.

There is a silver metallic, that is satin white aluminum, 1080-S120.
There is a gloss version, 1080-G120.

A little darker with Gloss Sterling Silver, 1080-G251, and even darker Anthracite, 1080-G201

·
Registered
142 Posts
So depending on what exactly you want, for satin it would be Satin Frozen Vanilla, 1080-SP240. They have a Gloss White Gold Sparkle, 1080-GP240, which as you can guess has a gold metallic in it. The brushed aluminum like ike mentioned is 1080-BR120.

Any other colors you want to know, just let me know.
Thanks. I might try this Satin Frozen Vanilla.

I watched a video on youtube about application. Seems pretty straightforward. For those of you who have done this before...any tricks of the trade I should know about? Note I'm in California so weather should not be an issue and it should be between 65 and 75 every day.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Thanks. I might try this Satin Frozen Vanilla.

I watched a video on youtube about application. Seems pretty straightforward. For those of you who have done this before...any tricks of the trade I should know about? Note I'm in California so weather should not be an issue and it should be between 65 and 75 every day.

Thanks.
Here is a pic trying to show what it looks like the best I could.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here is a pic trying to show what it looks like the best I could.
Looks like it should be a pretty solid match. I found a site that does a 5sqft swath for $11. Is that a good deal?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Looks like it should be a pretty solid match. I found a site that does a 5sqft swath for $11. Is that a good deal?
Thats not bad, but what is the actual dimensions? You want a longer piece that is more narrow, rather than a big square. If its a 1 foot by 5 foot piece, then you would be able to do the back easily.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thats not bad, but what is the actual dimensions? You want a longer piece that is more narrow, rather than a big square. If its a 1 foot by 5 foot piece, then you would be able to do the back easily.
Yea it said 1'x5'. Should be no problem.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts