Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a tire I put on the front, beginning of the summer season. I put the rears on the front, as the rears were getting shredded on the inside edge.
Don't think I've "corded" a tire in 40 years, UGH!!!.

Have my own Hunter alignment system. Did a full alignment about a year ago.

IIRC, allowable rear camber is up to 2.0 degrees or maybe that was nominal and it was 2.3 with the tolerance, forget exactly, but it seemed like a lot to me at the time.
A while back, some said there was a kind of hidden, but adjustable spot for rear camber. Can someone point it out exactly (with a pic would be nice). I've done alignments on my EVO8 several times, and that is pretty obvious for rear camber and toe adjustments.

This is rear toe IIRC, again it's been a year.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
904 Posts
I was gonna say the toe adjustment is cammed, but not the camber. Just loosen the bolt there on the cross member and jack the rear up, tighten and let it back down. See where your at. Toe will do that also, toed out to be more precise. Toed out will tend to pull the top of the tire in, and cause the car to ride on the inside of the tire.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The inner mounting point of the upper control arm is slotted for camber adjustment.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
So slotted, but no cam. So it'll go max neg camber as soon as you loosen it, if weight is on susp, I assume.
Sounds like a nightmare to adjust, with having to take weight off and put it back a billion times.

·
Registered
906 Posts
So slotted, but no cam. So it'll go max neg camber as soon as you loosen it, if weight is on susp, I assume.
Sounds like a nightmare to adjust, with having to take weight off and put it back a billion times.
Yep, Steeda makes a bolt on bracket that uses a cam, but unfortunately it doesn't fit. I tried. But the alignment inserts and subframe bushing supports fit.

I wish the Specialty Products adjustable upper control arm from the S550 would fit. Our knuckle mating surface is flat and not chamfered like the mustang.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gees this bolt is in a tight spot. Was going to buy those E-bay camber bolts, but I think with a buddy, I can use the pry bar trick.
Nice thick frame area right inboard of the end of that link. Just have to muster up the energy to set up that alignment system again.

·
Registered
904 Posts
It's not that hard to do, done plenty of them over the years. It is how ever hard to get at for sure, but not imposable.

Reactions: ArthurUSCG

·
Registered
906 Posts
I don't think that ebay camber bolts kit would work anyways, there's not really anything for them to push against.

The fun part is how much the rear toe and camber change each other, so it will take a few times to get what you want.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Yeah, toe will effect camber.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think that ebay camber bolts kit would work anyways, there's not really anything for them to push against.

The fun part is how much the rear toe and camber change each other, so it will take a few times to get what you want.

I had rear toe at zero, changing camber did add about .04 degree toe on both sides. I left it, as I didn't feel like messing with that again.
I used a sawed off crow bar and it worked perfect to adjust upper link. Between tire and end of crow bar, I used a piece of wood just a bit too short, and an thin
angled wood shim to adjust until I got camber I wanted. Those bolts seemed like they were torqued to 200 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
904 Posts
They're tight, but not 200 lbs tight. I can loo at my spec sheet for the Sport, that will give you all the numbers they want far as being perfect goes. Keep in mind they have a leeway, everything is different from one car maker to the next and models. Honda's seem to have the tightest tolerances, they don't give you much room.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took me a 3 foot breaker bar to get the pass side one cracked. Ended up going 1 degree rear camber on each side.
Turn in feels about the same, but I did take off my PS4S's and put on new AS3++'s, so hard to tell exactly.

Oddly, my front toe was off compared to straight ahead on steering wheel. Goes dead straight with wheel perfectly straight
and no crown now, so maybe it was a hair off on my last alignment (total toe was OK before messing with it though).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts