Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Magnetic; Unleashed Tune, FMIC
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing a couple people talking about these LED's I knew I wanted them! Quick before and after (I ordered the smoked lenses):
Grille Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Car
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Lit up, they are sequential on the turn signal and stay solid when unlocking/locking or using the brakes.
Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Light Automotive tire

Like I stated in the beginning this does not require the removal of the rear bumper. Tools & Materials:
-Trim removal tools (incredibly clutch for trim/tabs removal)
-Flat head screwdriver (bumper tabs)
-Deep sockets (tail light bolts)
-Wire stripper/cutter
-Flashlight
-Electrical Tape (protect the spliced wires)
-LED's (link curtesy of Sknz5)
https://www.amazon.com/GTINTHEBOX-Smoked-Bumper-Reflector-Signal/dp/B07S9V6W7V

So now the easy part, removing the lower trim where the reflectors are located. Removing this by itself allows you access to the reflectors, easy channel for routing wires.
Important step, first pop out the white tabs (one fell out) holding each side of the black trim in place
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive tire

If you lay down and look up past the exhaust you can see the two white clips on the back of the bumper. Flathead will pop these right out. Then with a handy trim pry tool you can pop out an edge and work it out slowly. All the tabs are pretty easy to pop out without much force.

Automotive parking light Car Automotive tire Vehicle Tire

I worked form the corners into the middle, only pulling the top of the trim out so that I could get behind it to pop out the reflector.

Tire Hand Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Start with the outside tab (blue arrow) and once you push that out the other tab (red arrow) just slides in place.

Now the wiring. Just remove the trunk net bolts (two on each side) so that you can get behind the carpet to the tail lights.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Sleeve

There is a push pin on the top of the trunk (right by the lid arms) on each side. You'll have to pop these out to pull the carpet back on each side. Once pulled back you'll see the two nuts that hold the tail light in place:

Automotive tire Automotive design Grey Motor vehicle Car subwoofer

Once these are off it take some convincing to get the light out. There is a metal pin on the outside corner of the lens that holds it in place. I found that using a trim pry tool alternating on the top and bottom of the outside corner got it to pop loose pretty easy (wasn't in a rush to break anything).

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive lighting

I ran the wiring from the new LED up through the channel next to the stock harness (blue arrow). Using some extra wire I fished it down and pulled up the wiring for the LED. Cut back the loom on the stock harness so I had access to plenty of the stock wires. Using strippers I split open the insulation and tapped in each wire. Taping them up after I checked all the connections to make sure.
Double check the LED's light up properly before putting anything back or you're going to do this a couple times

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
...Continued...

Grey Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas Tints and shades

Everything spliced in and taped up. Here is the wiring for each side:
(colors are for the Amazon kit to the factor harness)

PASSENGER SIDE:
Green - Grey w/Purple Line
Black - Black w/White Line
White - Blue w/White Line
Red - Blue w/Red Line

DRIVERS SIDE:
Green - Grey w/Red Line
Black - Black w/Purple Line
White - White w/Green Line
Red - Red w/Green Line

Now put it all back together (triple checking that lights work before buttoning it up). Super happy with how these turned out. For now I used electrical tape. My soldering iron crapped out on me a while back and I would like to go back and solder these all for a better long term solution. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hi Chamorro. Looks nice!

Just curious...did you use heat shrink or maybe crimped connectors for your wire splices?

Nice work, thanks for the write-up and good luck.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Chamorro. Looks nice!

Just curious...did you use heat shrink or maybe crimped connectors for your wire splices?

Nice work, thanks for the write-up and good luck.
Thanks! I couldn't use heat shrink since I was splicing into the factory harness. I didn't cut it or I would have used heat shrink. Just wrapped with electrical tape.

I tried using wire taps, the wires from the LED kit were so small that the taps didn't make a solid connection on all the wires so I decided to just tap them, wire to wire (thus the electrical tape).

Don't know what happened to the video...but fixed that link.

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
279 Posts
Makes me wonder if there exists a male-female adapter for the taillight harness/connector that could be made with extra wires coming out to use for the LED lights. IE: So you would just plug in the original light connector into the female end and have the male end plug into the taillight while the extra wires could feed down to the LEDs, eliminating having to tap/modify the factory wires.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Makes me wonder if there exists a male-female adapter for the taillight harness/connector that could be made with extra wires coming out to use for the LED lights. IE: So you would just plug in the original light connector into the female end and have the male end plug into the taillight while the extra wires could feed down to the LEDs, eliminating having to tap/modify the factory wires.
After I got into the wiring I was wondering the exact same thing. Searched for a while with no luck...if someone finds that connector i'd be all over it!

·
Registered
2019 > 2018 > 2017 :)
279 Posts
After I got into the wiring I was wondering the exact same thing. Searched for a while with no luck...if someone finds that connector i'd be all over it!
Did you happen to take a closeup pic of the connector on the wire harness? Or maybe write down the model number?
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Trunk Motor vehicle

·
Registered
879 Posts
I think it would be better to modify the aftermarket adapter instead of the car wiring itself because you could return it to stock with no damage to the original stuff. I’m really liking those LEDs but I’m leery of the durability. There’s so many East Asian made lighting accessories out there and they’re so inexpensive that I’m just not convinced the quality is up to snuff.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it would be better to modify the aftermarket adapter instead of the car wiring itself because you could return it to stock with no damage to the original stuff. I’m really liking those LEDs but I’m leery of the durability. There’s so many East Asian made lighting accessories out there and they’re so inexpensive that I’m just not convinced the quality is up to snuff.
Yeah, i'd love to find an aftermarket harness that I could tap all the wires into and then plug into the factory harness (gone down a deep dark internet rabbit hole looking).

I was concerned about the durability as well. For the amount of money its a very inexpensive addition. After doing once I would like an easier to way to plug them in...so hopefully i'll find something for the wiring durability.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Yeah, the 19's have a different rear bumper/diffuser. Already ordered so I'll have to figure it out.
If you ordered off Amazon and it hadn’t shipped yet, I’m pretty sure you can cancel the order.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright, so some exciting news if more people are interested in doing this to their car. I can help bypass all this wiring nonsense. Found a guy who does custom wiring harnesses, typically for people adding in leds that need modulators etc.

So the T-Harness that will PLUG IN to our factory harness and allow us to tap in the LED Markers without splicing or cutting anything up. They run $100 for the set shipped (US). He will give us a discount with multiple orders, not sure if there's enough demand, but thats a hell of a price for a custom harness to make these almost plug and play (at least easier to put back to stock or change out again later down the road).

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got 2 interested so far. Waiting to hear back what kind of numbers he needs for a price break but either way I think its a great deal.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Add me to the list.
I’m concerned about the long-term quality of the reflector lights themselves and if it means cutting my OE harness then I won’t do them. But if I had a plug in adapter then I would do them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts