Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
427 Posts
I read a story years ago about a 67 mustang had a 428 SCJ dual quads, geared for top speed. It was purpose built for the Canonball run, said it was capable of over 180 I think top end. I wish I could find the magazine it was in, really cool story.
I have often wondered how well these cars would fare in a cannonball run. IIRC some folks have used SHOs for the runs, which this car is a cousin of it seems.

·
Registered
927 Posts
A team that won recently used an Audi S6 disguised as a Taurus patrol car. Pretty convincing job!

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
427 Posts
A team that won recently used an Audi S6 disguised as a Taurus patrol car. Pretty convincing job!
I saw that. Very clever. You could do the same to FuSpo since they were sold as police responders

·
Registered
971 Posts
I think the car was bullt in the late 70's early 80's, the story was in a magazine I got in the early to mid 80's I want to say, maybe a bit later even. I remember at the end of the story the guy that wrote it, saying the story was fiction, but the car was not. As he told the story, he gave out details about it, the size of the gas tank, n so on. It was a 428 dual quad 5 speed, not the usual 4 speed. Car had a tall gear on top of that, he goes into how the guy driving it in the middle of the night come up on a old Chevy with a 454, and they end up racing. He beats the Chevy even though he gets a hole shot on him due to his tall gear. He goes into all the extra stuff the car had, radar detectors, radios, scanners, aviation lights on the front. Like I said it was an interesting story to read.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It's the amount of drag on the car, and knowing that you're going double highway speeds. Realization usually hits you harder than the actual drag.
Ever since i've used Waze I tend to do 90-100 on the highway and trust in the brother wazers ahead of me to alert me of cops. No speeding tickets yet knock on wood
I always wondered if cops use Waze to see how fast they get tagged, bc out of all the times using waze ive only actually been able to "be the one to report the police location" when I saw a cop literally just pulling into a spot to clock people. Then I got like 20 tagged emails saying "So and so wazer avoided a ticket because of you" hahahaha such a cool app

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Ever since i've used Waze I tend to do 90-100 on the highway and trust in the brother wazers ahead of me to alert me of cops. No speeding tickets yet knock on wood
I always wondered if cops use Waze to see how fast they get tagged, bc out of all the times using waze ive only actually been able to "be the one to report the police location" when I saw a cop literally just pulling into a spot to clock people. Then I got like 20 tagged emails saying "So and so wazer avoided a ticket because of you" hahahaha such a cool app
Waze was actually in hot water for a second because of that awesome feature. A police department was attempting to sue them over it. Of course, how could the police make any money if not by hassling drivers?

·
Registered
484 Posts
its crazy because with Waze you 100% see that most traffic bottlenecks are just cops clocking. I'll be doin 90, get the alert cop ahead and all brakelights ahead of me. So dumb. I wanna pull up to a cop clocking on a highway and give him a citizens' ticket for impeding traffic but make it look all official so hes confused and then ride away doing a wheelie on a minibike.

hahahahah the last second kills me when the guy in black just deadrolls forward with no movement

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
its crazy because with Waze you 100% see that most traffic bottlenecks are just cops clocking. I'll be doin 90, get the alert cop ahead and all brakelights ahead of me. So dumb. I wanna pull up to a cop clocking on a highway and give him a citizens' ticket for impeding traffic but make it look all official so hes confused and then ride away doing a wheelie on a minibike.

hahahahah the last second kills me when the guy in black just deadrolls forward with no movement
I'll record the video if you talk to the cop 😂

·
Registered
484 Posts
haha oh man i totally would. was bored yesterday so i told a buddy my goal for the night was to talk a cop into racing me from 0-50 and not pull me over afterwards. I shot the sh!t with a statie that pulled into the gas station and he could tell i had some type of agenda or he thought i was on something for talking to a statie before he can even get out of the car.... anyway, i told him a story of doing a wheelie 10 years ago and getting away with it because my helmet has a mohawk on it and as the cop pulled out i yanked it off (connected with suction cups at base), and the cop walked up and said who had the mohawk hes gettin a ticket and it was tucked inside my jacket so since that was the only descriptor he had he had to let us go haha. Then i suggested the race with the angle of come on you got double the motor i have the boostyboys lets see, ended with me asking him as i was pulling out if he was going to pull me over if I did a 0-40 wot out of the gas station and he smiled and shrugged so i punched it, hit about 50 and looked over and he was just laughing and people around the station were all staring at him like DO SOMETHING ABOOT THIS CRIMINAL. haha. Wasn't mission accomplished but was cool anyway.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I hit over 150 in mine the other day still seemed like it wanted to keep speeding up.
Stock or tuned, with my currant map, damn thing isn't happy unless were doing 80 + I could see it doing 150 160 easy right now, but with the cold temps it might be a struggle.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
971 Posts
It's tuned from livernois to 93 with intake that's it for now but it was about 35F outside and it loved it.
35 isn't too bad if your dealing with a stock I/C. I've got a TTR I/C and water/meth. gets any colder I can turn off the water, but it takes it pretty good even with temps in the teens here. I've had MCT's around 30 to 35 at cruising speeds, it will rise up to around 50 55 if I get caught sitting for a while.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Mine loves cold air. So wintertime is great, only problem is the roads in some areas aren't good for driving as hard in the winter, but that's usually not a problem down here in the South Land.

But the cold air makes my car really happy. I'm on stock intercooler though.

I've also heard people say winter gas isn't as good. That may be so, not sure. I do know the "normal" gas is winter blend. Summer gas is the one that has reduced volatility for emissions reasons, so they get rid of the butane in summer for instance.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Up here the winter gas kills your millage, and the temps, on top of all the idle time. 15 minutes in morning, noon and when I leave at the end of the day, remote start is a bad thing, LOL.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Up here the winter gas kills your millage, and the temps, on top of all the idle time. 15 minutes in morning, noon and when I leave at the end of the day, remote start is a bad thing, LOL.
I am getting pretty much the same thing. Its cold mileage goes down as when I fill up the computer says 327 to empty. It used to say 360 or so but as it gets colder it gets worse. I do no let my car idle to long I do not use the auto start it wastes gas. I find if I put my climate control to 80 my car temperature gauge seems to go up faster

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I find if I put my climate control to 80 my car temperature gauge seems to go up faster
My wife does the same thing. Mine stays on full auto though (unless she's in the car), because HVAC systems basically have a set level of delta-T they can output. By that I mean the variance between the input temp and the output temp. The demand temp just regulates the cycling of the compressor, and the fan control on the blower side. But the delta between hot side and cold side is, essentially, fixed. That's not entirely true (it does vary slightly with humidity, absolute temperature on the hot side, etc), but close enough.

There must be a fairly common perception that it makes a difference though, because a lot of folks do that. It's the same thing on your home HVAC, as well. If it's 90 outside, it won't matter whether you set it to 75 or 65, it's going to drop at the same rate until it hits the target temperature.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport 2.7L TT AWD
781 Posts
I've started to see the winter MPG drop. Same route every day, same speed (Cruise Control); tire pressures good. Seeing a 2 MPG drop over the past month.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
81 Posts
Unless they messed up his gearing that doesnt seem right, Ive gone 138mph at 4200rpms.....
stock.
He broke an axel... Pretty sure

41 - 60 of 68 Posts